cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 4G upgrade not working

dubois93
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I upgraded from the $25 plan (1GB at 3G) to the $41.25 plan (4GB at 4G) on July 21. The payment went through on my credit card ($41.25 minus my rewards) and when I log into my account from a windows laptop it shows I'm on the new 4GB at 4G plan. I've been running speed tests (ookla) to see if I'm getting 4G speeds but I max out at 3mbps indicating I'm still only getting 3G speeds. When I logged into my PM account on my phone (Pixel 6) it shows that I'm still on the $25 plan (1GB at 3G). Can you please help me resolve this issue?

Thank you,

Jamie

13 REPLIES 13

dubois93

I had upgraded my wife, daughter and myself from a 3G to 4G plan. For my daughter and wife the upgrade took place exactly as expected on the plan renewal date. For some reason there was an issue with my plan. After waiting 48 hours I posted my question to the community. Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. I then opened a ticket with CS. You can start here 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/chatbot

CS was quick and resolved my issue. 

Doddar58
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Similar situation.  In a rush to test 4g I signed up for the promo.  Note that the promo said that the change would be immediate.  I was disappointed that the change had no apparent effect on my phone.  So I reverted to my old plan.  A bit too quickly as I’ve learned from this thread.  Now I have two charges on my credit card for the same billing period.  One for my old plan and one for my attempted 4g.  I’m frustrated that I can’t talk to a person about this and I really have no idea how I can resolve.  I realize that, in my haste, I caused the problem so I’m not looking for advice on 4g signup.  I’m really having a problem with billing. Any suggestion would be helpful.

self solution removed/solution reassigned

dubois93

I ended up contact CS as something just didn't seem right with my account. They reset something on their end and then I was getting 4G speeds right away.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post.

A few of stated it took them up to 3 days. But hopefully it works for you after by the 48 hour mark. 

@dubois93 wrote:

That's not true. I made the same upgrade for my wife's account and everything was active right away (4GB at 4G speeds). I had read it can take up to 48 hours for the change to be effective prior to posting but I think something else is wrong with my account.  

Under normal circumstances, it is true that it takes 48 hours.  Members who advise others of this aren't guessing. This is the way Public Mobile's systems has always worked when changing to a plan of a different speed.  My response to Leepublic was only to say that it's not a "your milliage may very" for there to be a 48 hour wait for the speed change to occur, but rather the norm.  New customers who sign up or have just activated on a 3g plan also get LTE speeds for the first 48 hours.

I donn't doubt that your wife's account had full speed right away, but that wasn't supposed to happen and was an anomoly, so perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "always". Of course I don't agree with Pubilc Mobile chaging for a plan but now providing the full advertised services for the first 48 hours, but that's how the systems are programmed at Public.  There's also a pheomenom that some customers have expereienced that when on a 3g plan, the LTE throttling down to 3Mbps mysterous falls off the account.  This can sometimes happens for a few days, or sometimes even months at a time.  It's possible that your wife had the "4g" speeds all along as the result of a mistake by Public Mobile. 

As for your speeds not being updated immediately, the 48 hour wait is an established fact that customers need to wait beofre the speed changes and is not an indication that there is any problem with the account.  However, I do agree that as your Sellf Serve account page is showing the wrong plan, something unfavorable did happen in this situation.

To clarify,  it's not the plan details, the price of the plan, or the amount of included data that takes 48 hours to update, but rather only the speed.

dubois93

That's not true. I made the same upgrade for my wife's account and everything was active right away (4GB at 4G speeds). I had read it can take up to 48 hours for the change to be effective prior to posting but I think something else is wrong with my account.  

@LeePublic wrote:

Sometimes it takes up to 48 hours for the 4G speed to kick in. Though, I advise you to not do too many speedtests cause that will burn through your data.

It's not sometimes.  There's always a delay for speed changes when going from 3g to 4g or 4g to 3g plans.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sometimes it takes up to 48 hours for the 4G speed to kick in. Though, I advise you to not do too many speedtests cause that will burn through your data.

dubois93

Yes I tried a reboot but it didn't help

Hi @dubois93 did you try a reboot?

I think you  can wait till end of day today and should open a ticket with CS agent if you still don't see the new speed

dubois93

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was business or calendar days either. I was also concerned that the plan I was on differed depending on which device I used to log on. Thanks for the reply 😀

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Switch to 4G Plan usually take 2 days to get into effect. If you do not have it tomorrow you should contact agent for explanation. Even these 2 days are not that clear: are they business or calendar days?

Need Help? Let's chat.