cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New $15 plan.

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, helpful folks. I have the (old) $15 plan at 3G, and 250 Mb of data.  This is enough for my needs; very light user, when I travel, I use hotel WiFi etc., with VPN.

But, it would be a real hassle to use in the USA, with no 3G available there.

There's a new PM $15 plan, with no data, but it says add-ons are at 4G. I have several Gb of data (permanent, from Xmas bonuses and one purchase.) At my present rate of data use, that would last me several years.  Would I have to renew the data add-on every 30 days?

I assume if I change plans, I would lose the recent "Loyalty Points" bonus, which will expire before I use it, anyway, but I should keep the permanent data add-ons.

Of course, if I hang in at $15, 3G, PM will eventually have to offer me a deal when they cut off 3G. (?)

Does changing make sense? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

@Terryscell Again, the plan does not dictate what network you can connect to; it simply limits the speed at which you're throttled on any/all of the networks. Even with a 3G plan, you can still connect to the 4G and 5G networks in Canada. But yes, switching to the new $15 plan would give up faster speed with your data add-on's.

@Terryscell sometimes it's good to get the prospective of others.  Sounds like you already know what your going to do. 

If changing make sure to do Change on Renewal. 

Terryscell

Thanks,

The benefit would be getting 4G service instead of 3G, at no extra cost  (using up my permanent bonus Gb's over several years doesn't matter to me; I wouldn't use them otherwise, probably.)

Terryscell

Thanks, my phone is capable up to 5G.

If I use a PM add-on US roaming package for a couple of weeks,  I'd get 4G in the US, and that's a fairly simple solution. (Otherwise, Tello seems to be a great plan.)

Th new $15 plan is the same cost as my current one, so would not be a downgrade.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Terryscell  you would keep your previous add-ons yes. You don't need to renew every 30 days. They stay until all used up. 

Yes you would normally loose the gift, but in this a case it is still 15$ so not too sure if it will be lost. Best to confirm with PM directly.  But since you don't use much data, as you said it wouldn't matter. 

Howver, since both plans are the same price, I don't see the benefits of changing to this New plan. You would be losing,  cause even though small, you have 250 MB.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Terryscell  Unless your phone is only 3G capable it should still work in the USA as long as it is enabled for VoLTE.  The 3G is for the plan speed, it doesn't stop a capable phone from using the higher speed networks.  If you drop to a lower plan you would lose the loyalty bonus, I believe that's not the case if you go to a higher plan.  It will supposedly be some time before Canada cuts off 3G but again, if your phone is capable of 4G/LTE or 5G it should still work.

Need Help? Let's chat.