cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network/Coverage

MLJALLOW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Has anyone experience loss of coverage/Network when travelling to other provinces, elevators or subways?

I am currently using freedom right now, but if I am in elevators/subway, I lose connection while others do not, and the last time I visited Montreal and I had to pay extra for a nationwide coverage network.  asking from Ottawa, by the way.

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MLJALLOW 

Thats the price you pay with freedom. They don't have a nationwide network that's why you have lots of home network data and limited nationwide data. Don't get me wrong I was with freedom before pm with the $40/unlimited plan but I had a dead zone as soon as I walked into my yard and as soon as I left the city limits no network connection I was AWAY. I couldn't use their service in Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg and Vancouver Island except for one spot at my sister's place in Ladysmith because it was located so high up I could lock into a signal on the mainland? But it was great service in the city as long as I wasn't at home and that's when I used my telus plan. Their network expansion has greatly improved their connectivity and service but there are still limitations.....most of which don't occur at public mobile. But I still can't get a signal in no frills unless I'm next to the front windows. Some network issues cannot be overcome by any provider steel and concrete will still impede the best of network signals.

technically, BAI Communications Canada won the contract to build the network underground, it tried to resell it to everyone. Bell acknowledged it didn't join because it can't build the network itself.   So, Freedom ended up the only one joining BAI network

@softech wrote:

@MLJALLOW   for Data, PM is national wide, no need to pay extra to access data

For voice,  PM plans are now all national wide, therewas  a brief time PM offered provincial wide calling plans, but they changed back to National wide shortly after

For TTC, there had been big push back from union for installing cellular network.  Finally, TTC is able to open up for cellular, but only Freedom interested in bidding the service underground. Rogers/Bell/Telus all said NO to TTC subway

@softech wrote:

For voice,  PM plans are now all national wide, therewas  a brief time PM offered provincial wide calling plans, but they changed back to National wide shortly after

For TTC, there had been big push back from union for installing cellular network.  Finally, TTC is able to open up for cellular, but only Freedom interested in bidding the service underground. Rogers/Bell/Telus all said NO to TTC subway

@softech wrote:

I wouldn't say that only Freedom was interested.  The exclusivity agreement made someone money.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MLJALLOW wrote:

Has anyone experience loss of coverage/Network when travelling to other provinces, elevators or subways?

I am currently using freedom right now, but if I am in elevators/subway, I lose connection while others do not, and the last time I visited Montreal and I had to pay extra for a nationwide coverage network.  asking from Ottawa, by the way.

Elelvators and subway transit system are often very bad for cellular service.   It's ironic that you mentioned Freedom as in Toronto, that's the only carrier that you'll have reasonably consistent service in the subway system.  Service from all other carriers is almost non-existent.

MLJALLOW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

am using freedom right but if i am in elevators/subway I lose connection while others do not, and the last time i visited Montreal and I had to pay extra for a nationwide coverage network

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MLJALLOW 

Across the country telus/bell network coverage is excellent  as long as you are not somewhere very remote but there are areas in Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwestern Ontario and in the BC mountains that have gaps in coverage.

Anytime you enter elevators, subways or large concrete buildings you risk losing a network connection as the construction materials can severely impede cell signals. Public Transit underground are often licensed out to one provider only. I know skytrain in Vancouver has the telus network throughout along with another provider but the TTC may be exclusive to one provider only? Freedom maybe?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@MLJALLOW 

Distance from cellular towers, and physical barriers (especially concrete/steel/ground) will have significant impact on a cellular signal.

Some provinces (specifically those with vast spaces between populated areas, will have many 'dead' zones between them.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MLJALLOW Yes. Different areas/conditions have different success of network connections.

Need Help? Let's chat.