cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Reception

Karkoon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

My reception is awful in my area, people can't hear me because it cuts out or distortion and I also get dropped calls!

I know it's the towers that Public uses are the issue because the users with the competition have no issues at all! 

Is there a way to boost my reception, I know Wi-Fi calling is not supported by Public!

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Honestly I would switch to Rogers/Fido/Chatr and be done with it.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Karkoon 

Follow my instructions to get an accurate signal strength reading rather than "bars" so you have a better idea of what you are dealing with....test both inside and out of your home. If you are getting a signal then purchasing a signal booster from amazon in the $100 range would likely solve the issue. There is a thread here with recommendations and you can test with the cell mapper app to optimize the signal with help from a couple of experts here in the community. I know @Pawprints1986 has tested out one with the help of @sheytoon .

Karkoon

Thank you for the map it shows the towers and mine is quite a ways plus I'm at the bottom of a hill which is why I probably have bad reception, I don't want to switch providers but I'm at a lost right now!  I researched on line and switched my phone to WCDMA only mode and see if that will help! I have a older model phone well it's only 4 years old but I don't want to buy a new phone right now! Sometimes I have 1 bar and 10 seconds later I have 4 bars out of 5, it's up and down all the time. 

Karkoon

I have 2 carriers in my area Bell & Roger towers!  Mine is Bell towers! 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Karkoon 

Try switching your network mode to 3G only to see if that helps. Toggle airplane mode on/off to establish a new connection to the network. Then go to your Settings>>About phone>> Sim card status>> Signal strength>> What is your dBm reading? Anything below -95dBm is poor signal strength. Ideally you want to be above -80dBm.

As a workaround until pm implements VoLTE calling you can download a voip provider like textnow or fongo and choose a local phone #. Then call forward your pm number for busy/unreachable to your voip phone #. Calling is free on wifi or will use mobile data (0.5mb/1 min).

Edit:

You can also check your local cell tower 's available bands.....

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=43.381494&lng=-79.836603&zoom=12&type=Road...

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Karkoon 

You might want to check the PM coverage in your area:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage 

If you decide to switch carrier, also check their coverage in your area.

Karkoon

It's the area, I read about equipment to boost the service, could that possibly work? In my community anyone who is on the Bell service towers have issues which are the towers Public uses but anyone who uses Roger Towers don't any issues. There is a tower not far it must be a Rogers tower so I'm thinking of switching! A dropped call when it's a important call is not good, I'm retired so I don't need it for work but still so inconvenient.  

Karkoon

I can't my doctor's office, businesses etc... call me I have issue with that I can't them to call me on what's app!!

I'm thinking I might have to switch providers, it's very annoying because in my area any Dr. appointments are done through the phone and they can barely hear me or not hear me at all!  If I get a landline telemarketer are calling all hours day and night, so I switch the volume off I don't here the phone ring so I got rid of it. 

Karkoon

I can't my doctor's office, businesses etc... call me I have issue with that I can't them to call me on what's app!!

I'm thinking I might have to switch providers, it's very annoying because in my area any Dr. appointments are done through the phone and they can barely hear me or not hear me at all!  If I get a landline telemarketer are calling all hours day and night, so I switch the volume off I don't here the phone ring so I got rid of it. 

@Karkoon @Quick fix for many things that sometimes work is rebooting the phone reset network setting turn airplane mode on an off 

@Karkoon .be nice if you did so you could rule out sim / phone for the issues but it’s possible your in a spotty area for service too ,,,, is it same if you go outdoors and down the street same performance 

Karkoon

I don't have another phone to try, it's a common issue in my community.

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Or what’s app works almost the same 

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your on wifi/ 

data everyone suggests use an app called text now and forward your public mobile call to the text now number 

@Karkoon @Have you tried the sim in another phone to see if it works better or the performance is the same 

Karkoon

No I've live here 5 years and it's a ongoing problem for me and other homeowners! 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.