cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to transfer eSIM to new phone

Chioma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Tried to transfer my eSIM to new phone but it didn’t work. What do I do????

6 REPLIES 6

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@softech wrote:

@Korth_  if you don't like esim because permanently pair a SIM, an IMSI, an account, and a device together, then the worst is yet to come.  iSIM is coming , integrated sim  🙂

Disposable, single-use (and single-user) smartphones. iSIMs burned and flashed right into the SoC chipset at the factory. Just the thing OEMs need to keep people buying new phones and to keep making old phones useless junk to throw away before anything can be reused, repaired, resold. Just the thing providers need to marry each user with each device so their tracking and telemetry has maximum value to the data brokers.

I see they're trying to sell the new iSIM form factor with the same old language they used to sell mini-SIMs, nano-SIMs, eSIMs. iSIMs are "faster" and "better" and "smaller" and have "stronger security". Faster how? Better how? Smaller than that teeny tiny little thing I have to already be careful not to lose? More "security" for who?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/integrated-sim-isim-explainer/

@Korth_  if you don't like esim because permanently pair a SIM, an IMSI, an account, and a device together, then the worst is yet to come.  iSIM is coming , integrated sim  🙂

@Korth_  Thanks for the comments on eSIM. Pretty much agree but do see two advantages:

• when free the transfer to a new phone is not much harder than moving a SIM
  • when travelling they facilitate acquisition of local service

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

eSIMs are paired with the device they're registered/installed onto. They are not transferrable to any other device.

This does improve security. A thief cannot steal your SIM and use it in their phone to bypass your phone's security features. A hacker cannot use your SIMID without also having physical access to your specific device/hardware.

But I think the way the industry markets eSIMs is anti-consumer. eSIMs do indeed increase security for providers (since they permanently pair a SIM, an IMSI, an account, and a device together) even though they do not increase security for consumers (they are basically a vendor-lock, a trap, and an inconvenience for the vast majority of subscribers). eSIMs are advertised and positioned as commodity items, the preferred choice, the better alternative and you'll see people here every day who believe(d) that eSIMs are better than SIM cards even though they can't actually tell you why, aside from noting that the marketing implies that eSIMs are somehow better.

I don't fault people (like the OP) who make this mistake because they're being blindered and blundered into it. I do blame the providers (and their retail staff) for deliberately keeping and deliberately creating this consumer ignorance.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

No, cannot do it.

WHY people chose to use eSIM is beyond me... eSIM is NOT transferable (at least not at PM).

Now you have to go and spend few more bucks on REAL SIM if you wan to transfer your number.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Chioma 

esim will only work once on original phone. Now you need to install PM app on new phone, log in to your PM account and order and install new esim on new phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.