cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to be able to text my family in Canada from the US and from the US to the US

SM7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have. Plan $ 25 / moth with public Mobil from Canada no I am in the US. For six month I need to be able to Text my family in Canada And US . I was chatting with Carlos and he said that I can add $8 /month and change your plan to $ 15 / month to be able to have unlimited Text 

please let me know if you can do that for me 

thank you

8 REPLIES 8

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are quite a few apps you can us for the things you have mentioned. The only drawback is that these apps need wifi so you can not really use them on the road. If that is the case you might need to consider another carrier while away. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Ideally, if SMS does not need on-time delivery and immediate reply AND WiFi is accessible, TextNow or similar free app is optimal solution. Works like a charm, never failed me so far.

But if real-time SMS is required I guess you can get some temporary US SIM with free SMS. Whatever plan you have with PM, I would lower it to $15 plan with auto-pay if you care to keep PM account and number and rewards (loyalty, etc.).

SM7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@SM7 

Since you are already in the US you cannot use the call forwarding option with fongo. I suggest you check out mint mobile while in the US and suspend your services as described below using the lost/stolen option to maintain your pm voicemail.

Mint mobile has $15/4gb w/free calling and texting to Canada and Mexico.

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

Here are the ways to suspend your plan while away. If you dont have a grandfathered or a plan with a specific promotion you can lose then switch to the $15 plan and it will only cost you $15 to maintain your account the entire time you are away.

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number. You must perform call forwarding to your pm phone #  before you leave Canada. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

Edit: Said all this noted the six months in the US time frame blah, blah, blah.....computergeeked...!! That and my dad called me on messenger as I was about to hit post about half an hour ago for the fourth time.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@SM7 

That's not quite right. It would be $8×10 days×3=$24+$15=$39. You will get free incoming texts with no roaming plan. If you download text now you get free texting and calling while on wifi. If you don't have to text them back immediately that will fulfill your needs without the extra roaming add on cost. 

What plan are you currently on? How long are you in the US?

@SM7 wrote:

I have. Plan $ 25 / moth with public Mobil from Canada no I am in the US. For six month I need to be able to Text my family in Canada And US . I was chatting with Carlos and he said that I can add $8 /month and change your plan to $ 15 / month to be able to have unlimited Text 

No plan change is needed, but it can be done to reduce costs.  You'll need to purchase a U.S. roaming add-on, but be sure to choose one that includes text messaging.  And, as mentioned above, roaming add-ons only last 10 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SM7 : It would get expensive in a hurry to keep buying the roaming add-ons every 10 days for 6 months.

You might want to look at local service or using voip apps like TextNow that also do voice.

Need Help? Let's chat.