cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need pre-approved port, can't answer text with 90 mins

r0y2a4n4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm porting my number (moved to europe but still have business in canada). 

My account is active but I dont have access to my sim/number to confirm that I would like to port my number.

Public mobile sends you a text asking you to confirm you'd like to port, and you have to answer within 90 minutes. 

I could have someone put my sim in their phone. But I have no idea when the text is coming. 

Can I get a port pre approved by contacting the right person?

14 REPLIES 14

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@r0y2a4n4 

Yes. The phone the SIM card goes in to forward the calls only acts as the medium to perform the action. Once the network is given its instructions it will continue to follow thru on them until it's given different instructions. The exception to this is if the SIM card (in a working phone) connects to a US cell tower. This will cancel the call forwarding instructions and revert to its default settings (pm's voicemail).

Also now that I think about it....I have tested call forwarding and using lost/stolen to suspend service. Suspension cancels the call forwarding but I also seem to remember that the default settings cannot be engaged for the very fact that lost/stolen severs the connection between the SIM card and the network. So cancelling call forwarding with the SIM card in a phone would need to be done before suspension via lost/stolen (before midnight eastern on day 30) in order for you to maintain active voicemail while suspended.

If you wanted to use a text forwarding app then the SIM card must remain in a working phone preferably kept connected to a charger in order to never power off. Mighty text has been recommended and tested by a fellow member @BeachNBeer when travelling internationally.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@r0y2a4n4 wrote:

So your saying if someone puts my sim in any phone, sets it to forward calls to another number, and then takes teh sim out of the phone, it will still forward the calls?

@r0y2a4n4   Yes

the forward will stays even you friend took the SIM out. 

Your friend should probably helped you with *21* for Unconditional forward

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

@r0y2a4n4 

Call forwarding isn't done by the phone but rather by the network.

r0y2a4n4

Bravo!

Yu have no idea how much i enjoyed reading this post. I am a "busy person" and have so many little things to rmemeber i'd rather spend a little money now or even later when i retun and lose my $4 rewards. I know the die hard public mobile community is gripping the old rewards program. 

So your saying if someone puts my sim in any phone, sets it to forward calls to another number, and then takes teh sim out of the phone, it will still forward the calls? I thought the sim had to be in a charged phone to forward calls.

I have been abusing the lost phone thing to keep my contract alive while i figured out what i was doing.

Thanks for your help

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@r0y2a4n4 

If you port out you will lose your rewards and be stuck with the much less rewarding points program. You have affordable options to keep your pm account and service depending on the extent of use that you need your service. Assuming that you have a minimum of $4 in rewards earned every month ($2 autopay+$2 loyalty rewards=$4) you can schedule a change plan on next renewal to the cheapest plan available the $15 plan. Minus current rewards your plan will cost $11/30 days or $132 for the next year of active service (and then $10/30 days after another year of loyalty.) 

Being forward thinking you left your sim card with a trusted friend or family member. By choosing a voip provider like textnow or fongo and taking a Canadian phone number you can have your friend put your SIM card in their phone and call forward your pm number to your voip number. They can remove your SIM card and store it in a safe and secure place. Now when someone calls your pm number your voip provider app will ring on your phone while on WiFi or using mobile data on your local SIM card. You could even set up text forwarding if you want but entails a little more work on the part of your friend.

A cheaper option for your pm service would be to also schedule a plan change on next renewal to the $15 plan. On day 30 before midnight eastern suspend your service via lost/stolen. Suspending before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active. You can use your voip number to call your number. Press "*" when your voicemail picks up and enter your voicemail pin #. You can now access your voicemail services.

Set up several reminders for your approaching 90 days of suspension. To play it safe log into your account on day 85. Resume your service via lost/stolen. Top up your account by choosing "other amount" your $15 plan amount and reactivate your plan. Because you utilized lost/stolen it causes a glitch of your rewards not appling upon renewal. Contact customer support to have them apply your rewards manually.

You may or may not need (or want) your friend to call forward your pm number again (have not tested this) to your voip number. Suspend again via lost/stolen on day 30. Rinse and repeat. You can maintain your phone number, account and active voicemail services for $33/350 days. ($15 plan - $4 rewards=$11×3/30 days of service=$33+tax)

Be sure to set extra reminders about your date to reactivate service so you don't lose your account and phone #. Don't wait until day 89/90 for reactivation give yourself lots of leeway.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

r0y2a4n4

I'm mainly doing it because people are going to be trying to contact me at this number. I will return within 1 year or two. Been a customer for just over 2 years I think.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@r0y2a4n4 

Are you porting out to save money and hold your phone number? Do you intend to use the ohone number on a regular basis. Do you plan on returning to Canada in the next year or two? How long have you been a pm customer?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@r0y2a4n4 wrote:

I could have someone put my sim in their phone. But I have no idea when the text is coming. 

Porting request should arrive within minutes after you request it as it is all automated, no human intervention.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@r0y2a4n4 

Once a porting request is submitted the PAT (porting authorization text) is sent out a few minutes later. Depending on the provider making the port request if your first request fails you can call the providers porting department yourself and make the request. Then you control the basic timing that the PAT is sent to the pm SIM card.

Which provider are you porting out to?

Alternatively you can contact customer support and ask them how to " verbally" authorize the port request beforehand.  Verifying your account and submitting a written request via your private messages will probably suffice but only the CSA will be able to confirm the steps you must take to alternatively authorize your port request.

@r0y2a4n4 wrote:

so they would have to go all day or days without their phone lol 

@r0y2a4n4   Unfortunately YES, try to find a old phone that can receive and send text and carry around  😞

r0y2a4n4

It's a VoIP. But they say its PM who sends the text. They dont have my phone, only my sim, so they would have to go all day or days without their phone lol 

r0y2a4n4

I didnt even know there was a support team...thanks!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@r0y2a4n4   You are porting out?  and you have friends with access to you phone and PM SIM?  Call your new provider and ask them to resend the Text.  If it is a mobile provider, the text usually comes quick.  So, you friend just need to have the phone ready when you talk to your new provider

(but if it is a VoIP provider, then it is harder to guess when the text will come, but just ask your friend to carry your phone around and wait for the text)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@r0y2a4n4  - you are in Europe?

Do you have someone with your phone now in Canada?

OR, maybe you can arrange the port with CSA via a ticket, not sure, but worth a try.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Contact Public Mobile Representatives (CSA) by submitting a message(ticket) to them here: 

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

Need Help? Let's chat.