cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name display

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is name display working on PM? I believe I heard Telus and Koodo are starting to see names. 

18 REPLIES 18

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice! 🙂

CalgaryBen

Very cool!  Started seeing business names show up last week (Aug 15) in Alberta when they called me on my PM phone.  I had no clue why, as I had no idea Caller Name Display was being implemented.  Love it!  No idea what carrier the callers are using.

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

name display is really useful

Michael77
It would be nice to have name display.

cgartly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am using a iPhone 6 Plus on Public and can confirm that as of today in Kelowna BC name display is working when receiving calls from Shaw landline numbers and Shaw Corporate numbers.

Unsure about others.

shawnie_boy
Spoke with mods. Even though Telus and Koodo have name display PM does not offer it at this time so obviously it is not automatic. I have insisted to the team they should offer it considering all rogers brands do like chatr and there is no reason it should not be offered especially when PM now cost the same as Koodo.

Quest

Hi to All,

Let me be perfectly clear here. Name display is very useful feature but those that have it cannot expect to have every single caller's name to be shown on their phone for a few simple reasons.

• If you subscribe for a prepaid plan or buy a prepaid phone you are not obliged to provide your name or at least your real name.
  • People changing their prepaid phones like gloves.
  • If Users have something to hide or want to avoid their names to be exposed they will find the way to hide it.
  • Scammers usually know how to hide it perfectly.

I could give more examples.

On the other side of the spectrum are the Users on Post Paid Plans, Land Line Phone Customers that cannot be anonymous nunless requested. They are quite stable source for data bases of phone numbers and names.

Probably the most stable source of name display is in Corporate World. Businesses, banks, insurance companies, small and big companies are more than willing to share and let it be displayed. It is partly a free advertisement.

Quest

@shawnie_boy wrote:
I'm In Toronto area

@shawnie_boy

If you live in Toronto area you shuldn't have problem by now to see at least some Business Names as long as your phone supports caller ID and number display features. In your plan have to be included call display.

If I were you I would try to ask my bank, for example to call me or someone whose phone is registered under business or corporate name. That would be a good starting point.

shawnie_boy
I'm In Toronto area

Quest

@ PMshawnie_boy wrote:

ok thanks, I am in Ontario and I do not see it on my telus line. So will PM get it too automatically?

@shawnie_boy

Which part of the Province. Ontario is a huge Province.

If I understood correctly you are on both Telus and PM Mobile.

I don't want to spread any unconfirmed rumors about whether PM is going to get it or not automatically. Like you said even Telus didn't implement it in your area.

What I can tell you that here in Toronto it shows at least bank names, business names, companies names both on Telus and Koodo. 

shawnie_boy

ok thanks, I am in Ontario and I do not see it on my telus line. So will PM get it too automatically?

Quest

@shawnie_boy wrote:

I just tested in my Telus line and doesn't seem to be working so probably not fully implemented. I saw some threads about it starting to come to Telus end of may. I just wonder if this would implement on all companies connected to Telus.

@Quest

Hey, @shawnie_boy

I am trying to gather a little bit more legitimate info about it.

What I know at this moment that Telus have just started to implement it on the Network. It is going to be progressive, first stage for Incoming calls, second for Outbound calls. You have to have a Phone Plan with Telus that already have call display so this feature will be added without extra cost. It is going to be the same with Koodo.

I don't know which Province you are living in but progressive could mean Province by Province. Exactly the same way what they are doing with VoLte.

shawnie_boy
Just to add, did another test and both Telus and PM did not show the name of caller when rogers did. Also fongo shows the name, so there is no excuse that this service Is more premium. Fongo is as no frills as they come.

shawnie_boy

I just tested in my Telus line and doesn't seem to be working so probably not fully implemented. I saw some threads about it starting to come to Telus end of may. I just wonder if this would implement on all companies connected to Telus.

@Quest

Would be great to see it! I miss having it since I left Rogers a long time ago.

@collin1215

Name Display will sometimes provide the name of the caller even if you don't have their contact info stored in your phone/account. It's a feature that needs phone and network support, as well as the calling party to have it enabled on their side for outbound calls. Generally, most landlines dialing out will provide the name, and some Rogers/Fido cell phone users will do it as well.

shawnie_boy

Someone else said in forums said that name display for PM follows Telus and Koodo 

collin1215
Do you mean like caller ID when someone calls you?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

No name display for this discount carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.