cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone is blocked for use in the US

MPC1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My phone has a dual SIM capability. I constantly travel between the US and Canada and have a physical Public Mobile SIM for use in Canada and an eSIM from another provider to use when I am in the US. Since I have been doing this for a while, I know how to change SIMS on the phone and how to select the phone provider I want to use depending on the country I am. This arrangement had been working great for a couple of years, but since April this year I have been having problems when I am in the US. Even when I take the public SIM off the phone, the phone is blocked from connecting to the US carrier using the US SIM. I have been in contact with the US provider for the last 4 months, and after several attempts on their side, it appears as if the problem is that Public Mobile is blocking my phone when I am in the US (I guess to prevent using roaming). An additional indication that the problem seems to that Public Mobile is blocking the US territory, is that when I activate roaming with the US carrier and cross the border using only the US SIM (that had zero reception in the US), immediately connects perfectly when in Canada. 
Could you please fix this issue? I need to be able to change SIMs whenever suits me.

8 REPLIES 8

@MPC1 

are you aware that PM now has a regular plan package that includes Unlimited calling in Canada and US. Not sure what you're paying for the US package that you have...but might be worth a look. It shows as $50 with 40GB data included.

added..

planus.jpg

@MPC1 

1. there is still a chance being blacklisted, check for peace of mind

2. if data issue, then it is APN related.  But do you see the sim able to connect to the US network?  A quick workaround without manually change APN is to click Reset All Networks.  But if that does not work, then check APN settings

MPC1

Ohh! Will definitely try something with the APN next week that I am going to the US again. 
Will report back!! Thank you!!!

Internet connection with the US sim? That might be APN related.

MPC1

Yes! Good questions! 
I can connect to texts/calls but no internet in the US. So texts in and out are fine, calls also fine. Definitely not internet when using the US eSIM in the US (but good LTE connection with US eSIM in Canada). Wifi is fine though.
I have also done the reset network! Yes!! Right after, the phone connects to the LTE network in the US with the US eSIM (which is what I want). BUT after a minute or two it just disconnects, and doesn't connect again.

MPC1

Hi softech, thanks for the reply
1. I bought my phone in the US and I had been using that phone with the same US carrier for a few years before starting to use the phone with Public Mobile in Canada. So no, it's not blacklisted.
2. I don't get an error message connecting to the SIM at all. It's just that I get no internet connection in the US.
3. As I said, I have been doing this for years. I am familiar with selecting which SIM to use for internet/texts/calls

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Interesting. If you take the Public sim out then the phone should have nothing to do with Public. I also have a dual sim phone and also have a US service but it seems to work fine. I set my preferred service for texts and calls and data or one way or the other.
What works and what doesn't? Calls in and out? Texts in and out? Cell data (not wifi)? Nothing? Have you done the reset network settings function through all your adventures?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MPC1 

if wouldn't.  PM would not be blocking your use of the phone in US.  Especially if your sim card is removed from the phone, there is no way PM can block the phone if the sim card is not even in the phone

First check if you phone is blacklisted in US.

https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/

If it is clean, good.

Another question is what is the error message when you try to access US sim? any message or PUK code required?  If so, then it could be a Telus/PM carrier lock, but I highly doubt it if the phone has been working with the US sim

With PM sim removed, check your SIM manager and see if the US eSIM is active and selected as the default sim.  if so, you might want to click Reset All Network and see if it helps

Need Help? Let's chat.