cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My number is being spoofed

markchen8717
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
For the last 3 days, I've received over 50 calls from strangers telling me that they've received a call from me when in reality I never did. Today, one person called and said they heard a recorded message possibly in Chinese on the other end. Is there anything Public Mobile can do to track down these robo callers?
9 REPLIES 9

cuji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having the same issue.  Having people calling me from all over Canada and the States saying someone from China is saying that they have a package.  Only thing you can do if you happen to answer a call is to ask them to block your number.  If the number is blocked by enough callers, the spoofer (not sure if that's a word) will remove your number from their list.  Very annoying, to say the least!

@esjliv wrote:

@markchen8717 wrote:
For the last 3 days, I've received over 50 calls from strangers telling me that they've received a call from me when in reality I never did. Today, one person called and said they heard a recorded message possibly in Chinese on the other end. Is there anything Public Mobile can do to track down these robo callers?

I received a call once saying "hey, you don't know me, but I just received a call that came from your number, so i think your number is being spoofed".

@esjliv  Interesting, this guy knows something about callerid spoofing.. but he should know that even he called you , there is nothing you can do .. lol

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@markchen8717 wrote:

I received a call once saying "hey, you don't know me, but I just received a call that came from your number, so i think your number is being spoofed".

First time ever that happened to me. I knew about spoofing, and I have received valid looking calls and answered them that were spam/scams. But I never think (or want) to call that number back.

It surprises me how many people will call back the number that spoofed them, or showed up on their caller ID as unanswered. Wow!

@markchen8717  - my guess this is happening to many people many times, but we just don't know it. In your case, people are tipping you off it is being done.

I hope your number gets dropped really soon!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@markchen8717 

There is nothing you can do about spoofing. I get one every other day and noticed that the first 6 digit of my phone number is the same. I block the number but the robo caller will use another number. 

@softech wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk  which VoIP app you used to spoof your own number?

@markchen8717  Yes, There is no need to change your phone number for Caller ID spoofing.  If you got target and keep calling you, then maybe Change Number helps.  If your number was some business before and people still keep calling, then yes, Change Number helps.  But not with Caller ID spoofing

In fact, the only thing to change for combat  Caller ID spoofing is to change your phone. Yes, really, no joke!!  Telus, and other telcoms' way to combat Caller ID spoofing involve the use of the latest model phones.  At this point, Pixel 6 and 6 Pro will work, I am not even sure if iPhone 13 is on the list

Zoiper on an iPhone 8 Plus and previously on an iPhone SE 1st gen. I moved my land line number from voip.ms to PM using a Zeta box. After voip.ms was out of service for 2 weeks, I moved out. They do not cancel your Account when you port out. I did have an extra DID and cancelled it too and set up 3 sub accounts for outgoing calls only using my caller ID’s AND in Zoiper too. Not sure which one is passing the caller ID...but it works. @Nezgar  gave me the idea. With no monthly DID charge my $30 balance will last for a decade....as I am not a huge caller. Will be good for being on hold as you can set the length of calls which will surpass the 150 minute PM policy.  And voip.ms has free calling to 800 numbers. The Zeta box on $15 plan is  a bit pricy as we average 300 minutes a month outgoing. This set up handles power and internet outages well as phone set and Zeta box both have some battery backup. And no internet, obviously, is required. And just discovered yesterday that when on a call you will hear some beeps for another incoming call wanting to connect AND the Panasonic land line displays who was attempting to call (number was in phone book). Too good to be true, eh? Any questions...PM me as I have a savings option with voip.ms. 

@CountyDownIeUk  which VoIP app you used to spoof your own number?

@markchen8717  Yes, There is no need to change your phone number for Caller ID spoofing.  If you got target and keep calling you, then maybe Change Number helps.  If your number was some business before and people still keep calling, then yes, Change Number helps.  But not with Caller ID spoofing

In fact, the only thing to change for combat  Caller ID spoofing is to change your phone. Yes, really, no joke!!  Telus, and other telcoms' way to combat Caller ID spoofing involve the use of the latest model phones.  At this point, Pixel 6 and 6 Pro will work, I am not even sure if iPhone 13 is on the list

@markchen8717   Don’t bother with what @Anonymous  is recommending. 

What @softech is saying is correct. Any one with a voip Account can do that. I know😉😉

I have a voip Account and I spoof my OWN numbers....home number and 2 mobile numbers. Would I spoof a random number.....no way!! That way I can call out at a very low cost and receive a no cost call back on my PM account. Eventually they will stop using your number. If you get another number....same thing can happen. And you will have to notify everyone of your new number.....that is....assuming you like your number. Sharpen up your contacts list...set up DND....and no calls accepted if ID does not match a number in your contacts list. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@markchen8717 

just ignore and delete and block,

but if your phone number is New you can Changing Your Number 

up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. go to your Self Serve Account here link. and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number 
  • and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@markchen8717   There is really nothing much you can do.  Usually Caller ID spoofing is random.  And it has nothing to do with your current provider.   Not sure why it picked your number so many times.  But usually it will die down at some point

For you , some people might not know Caller id spoofing and will call you back, just do not answer any calls from people you don't know.

Need Help? Let's chat.