cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Plan and is there a better one?

radhan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I know if my plan is 3G or 4G? I bought my plan when Public Mobile sold 4G. This is what it says in my page. It is $135 per 90days:

• This plan includes: -
  • - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - 6GB Data
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

Is there a better plan offered now for say $50 a month?

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@radhan 

You currently have $5 in rewards per month. The $35/3gb plan with pm would be $30+tax after rewards with the price continuing to lessen with loyalty rewards which if you do leave and decide to come back are lost forever. Pm's 4G LTE data is throttled to 3mbps its 3G data is not throttled and can reach up to 20+mbps depending on network traffic.

You can already test the 3G speed currently by changing your settings in your phone. Why not do some comparitive tests when using your mobile data for common tasks? Switch between the two networks and see if the latency on the 3G network will be a problem for you. Test at different times of day to see how network traffic affects the data speed.

Then if you are already seriously considering leaving then scheduling a plan change on next renewal to the $35 plan to test for at least one 30 day cycle is no skin off your back. If you discover that the throttled 4G LTE actually works perfectly fine for most of your mobile data needs and switching to 3G when a higher speed is needed then you won't have left in haste.

And if it just doesn't work at all for you then you can leave for pc mobile knowing you have made the right decision for you. You could even drop your plan down to the $15 or suspend it for up to 89/90 days while you test out a month of service from pc mobile. With the $15 plan you could call forward your pm number to a temporary pc mobile number so you still get your calls while you test out pc mobile's services.

The $15 plan becomes a $10 plan after rewards and a month of pc mobiles $30/1gb+1gb plan won't cost you anymore than what you are currently paying. Although some very high data speeds have been recorded with 4G LTE at public mobile the best speeds I have tested reached 60mbps with a low around 30mbps.

I just tested the throttled 4G LTE here in Vancouver 2.88mbps used about 6mb. Tested the 3G network 10.67mbps and used about 36mb of data. I won't be testing my full speed 4G LTE data you can waste that data if you wish. Just make an informed decision when and if you decide to leave pm.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

HI @radhan   

Does PC Mobile provide full LTE speed? 

Honest, I personally don't see too much the problem with 3Mbps speed on PM

You have been member since 2016, so I think you have $5 Loyalty reward monthly.  If you join $35 for 3GB plan, you would be paying just $30+ tax, possibly lower if you have any friend referrals or you come to Community to make some post for easy $1 or $2 off

You mentioned you don't  use too much data, why not consider $25 plan , just 1GB but you probably have some Christmas data bonus as a backup if your monthly data all used up.

Just trying to find ways for you to stay with PM and enjoy some saving.

@radhan 

You can alway go to 5G Lightspeed age but will be paying for it and you need to be outside for it to work.

Note that all lower and mid tier from the big 3 are in 3G. 

Only the top tier are in 4G/5G.

radhan

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me. I was paying about $120 after rewards including taxes. After looking around I could get the exact same plan cheaper from PC Mobile ($30 for 1GB + 1GB (with auto pay)) which would be $33.90 including taxes. That is a saving of $6 per month. I don't need much data as I am rarely without WiFi. I have not pulled the trigger yet. I wish Public Mobile was on 4G I cannot understand why they are back in the iron age (not quite stone age) with 3G.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@radhan 

To be clear....unless you choose in your phone settings to only use the 3G network then your phone connects to the 4G LTE network for texts and data (which depending on your plan can be throttled to 3mbps) and switches to the 3G network for voice calls.

If you choose to connect to the 3G network only your data speed can reach 20+mbps depending on network traffic. Why not try using the 3G network for your data for a few days and see if it makes a big difference in the way way you use your mobile data. During the day the data speed will likely be closer to the throttled 4G LTE data speed later at night possibly near the slower end of the unthrottled 4G LTE speed.

I have both throttled and unthrottled 4G LTE....I don't see much of a difference for my mobile data needs that may be different for you so decide carefully before changing plans.

• Your current plan $135/6gb/90 days = $45/2gb/30 days = $35/2gb or $17.50/1gb (-$10/30 day plan)
  • Closest plan to yours $35/2.5gb+500mb autopay bonus/30 days =$105/9gb/90 days or $25/3gb or $8.33/1gb ( -$10/30 day plan)
  • Closest in price (down) $40/5gb/30 days = $120/15gb/90 days or $30/5gb = $6/1gb (-$10/30 day plan)
  • Closest in price (up) $50/10.5gb/30 days = $150/31.5gb/90 days or $40/10.5gb = $3.80/1gb (-$10/30 day plan) + gain unlimited calling to the US with this plan.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@radhan 

PM plans are on 3G but at the end of 2025, 3G will end and mostly likely switch to 4G/LTE like in the USA on 2022.

VP75P3

@radhan : The clue is in the data line description (that you wouldn't necessarily know). Current plans mention 3G on that line. Add-ons do not and your old plan does not.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Your plan is grandfathered and has LTE data.  IMO,  6 GB of LTE data over 90 days (ie. 2B for 30 days) for about $45/month is not that competitive these days

For $50 plan at Public mobile, you will get 10.5 GB per 30 days.  However the data speed is only 3G.  For $40, you can get 5.5 GB per 30 days.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@radhan 

You can also do a speed test while on LTE to make sure that you're getting the full speeds. Those of us on newer plans get download speed of 3Mbps or less while using the 4G/LTE network.

Here's the list of all current plans, if you wish to compare. I don't see any reason for you to switch, TBH: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/plans

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@radhan 

Yours is a 4G/LTE (full speed) plan. If you switch away from it, it will not be available for you to switch back to anymore, since all current plans are 30 day and 3G-only.

Need Help? Let's chat.