cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed calls eat up about eight seconds whenever callers hear voice mail greeting and hang up

slpless
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

I am new to Public Mobile. I just activated $10 plan. Today, I found that missed calls eat up about eight seconds whenever callers hear voice mail greeting and hang up. They didn't leave a voice message at all. Below is the usage history of calls that I didn't pick up but were charged about eight seconds each time. 778-580-4001 is Vancouver area voice call destination number. Is this normal?

public mobile.jpg

17 REPLIES 17

slpless

Listening to voice messages is a different story. If you call voicemail from your PM number, it eats up minutes. If you do from landline or VoIP, then no. 

My concern in this thread was that calls to my number, unanswered and forwarded to voicemail, are considered call forwarding by PM system and may consume minutes if they last long such that people leave voice messages.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@randymichaelson the 10 dollar plan definitely uses minutes to check voicemail 

randymichaelson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i could be wrong but it should be free to listen to ur voice mail but like i said i could be wrong tho

so if someone reaches your voice mail in $10 plan will use your minutes?   That's new way to charge people.  

slpless

Now that it's official that call forwarding use up minutes, I continued my testing to see whether calls forwarded to disabled voicemail with extended absence greeting use up minutes or not. I can confirm that they don't use up minutes.

PM4.jpg

PM3.jpg

What about calls forwarded to regular voicemail where people leave messages? Do they eat up minutes???

slpless

@mimmo wrote:

@slpless wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Let us know what happens 

I got a call from PM after a long correspondence and waiting that Call Forwarding is NOT FREE for $10 50/50 plan. It eats up incoming and outgoing calls when the call is forwarded. Same goes to the calls forwarded to Voice Mail. They even credited me $10 for the inconvenience caused by the confusion. 

Below is what I wrote in a redflagdeals forum - the whole correspondence with moderator_team

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-8-50-canada-wide-minutes-50-texts-2185821/38/#p2941087...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-8-50-canada-wide-minutes-50-texts-2185821/38/#p2942140...

@slpless  thanks for the update.  Personally I don't think you should settle for $10.  The official post clearly stated when you bought the plan call forwarding was free, it still states that  it is free.  PM is  not  living up to their end of the deal.  

Agreed. Anyway, the announcement is changed now. It seems they decided to fix the annoucement instead of fixing the system. Still, I am not comfortable about calls forwarded to voicemail using up minutes. They should consider introducing an option to disable voicemail. 

PM.jpg

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slpless wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Let us know what happens 

I got a call from PM after a long correspondence and waiting that Call Forwarding is NOT FREE for $10 50/50 plan. It eats up incoming and outgoing calls when the call is forwarded. Same goes to the calls forwarded to Voice Mail. They even credited me $10 for the inconvenience caused by the confusion. 

Below is what I wrote in a redflagdeals forum - the whole correspondence with moderator_team

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-8-50-canada-wide-minutes-50-texts-2185821/38/#p2941087...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-8-50-canada-wide-minutes-50-texts-2185821/38/#p2942140...

@slpless  thanks for the update.  Personally I don't think you should settle for $10.  The official post clearly stated when you bought the plan call forwarding was free, it still states that  it is free.  PM is  not  living up to their end of the deal.  

@Brooke_C@Alan_K  are you able share any information with this call forwarding  discrepancy  on the $10 plan?

@Geezer, the 9 is the footnote reference that has been copied from the full list of fine print.

Sloppy details don’t clarify anything well.  ALL calls from your cell phone to voice mail eat minutes.  Use a landline, or a free calling app to check your voicemail.

Geezer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm finding the same problem. I just signed up and when you check your voicemail it deducts minutes. You start out talking about voicemail and then switch to Call Forwarding, two different things. I have since followed someone's directions to turn off voicemail and that cost me 3 minutes. As per their own website if you go to the ten dollar plan and click on "Plan Details" this is what I see.   

Offer details   

Taxes are extra. The account must have sufficient funds to cover the total cost each month.

9 Calls to voicemail will deduct from in-plan minutes.

So I can only assume that the first 8 voicemail checks are free. I want my minutes back so I guess I'll have to pursue this further.

slpless

@mimmo wrote:

Let us know what happens 

mimmo

Let us know what happens 

slpless

@mimmo wrote:

@slpless the first of the $10 plan state that call forwarding does not use up minutes

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving voicemail messages
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using call forwarding
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

@mimmo, I tried to find this when some people talked about it, but didn't realize I had to click "Spoiler" to see it. Thanks! Now, I will talk to a moderator to resolve this discrepancy - many people reported call forwarding used up minutes at redflagdeals.com https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-8-50-canada-wide-minutes-50-texts-2185821/

mimmo

@slpless the first of the $10 plan state that call forwarding does not use up minutes

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving voicemail messages
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using call forwarding
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

slpless

On further research, I can say that call forwarding use up minutes from 50 minute air time on $10 plan. This plan is the only limited talk plan from Public Mobile. For unlimited talk plan, call forwarding is free and unlimited for sure, but $10 limited talk plan, NO.

This also applies to Voice Mail because it also uses call forwarding feature from your phone to a local Voice Mail number - in my case 778-580-4001.

mimmo

I can't remember but I think minutes are billed by the nearest minute. Not by the second.

slpless

@KMG wrote:

This might just be the duration of the call.  It may not actually take away from the minutes you have included in your plan.

Have you confirmed that your remaining plan minutes are actually going down as a result of these missed calls?

When added except for the missed calls, total is 11:41. Including the missed calls, total is 12:46. And, my usage on the front page is 14 minutes. Huh?  Smiley Surprised

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This might just be the duration of the call.  It may not actually take away from the minutes you have included in your plan.

Have you confirmed that your remaining plan minutes are actually going down as a result of these missed calls?

Need Help? Let's chat.