cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum plan $$ ?

Jacob_Brooks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not long ago, PM's lowest plan was $ 15 (only for new clients, of course).

Looks like the cheapest PM plan is now $19 or $20, depending on province.

Anyone have insight on whether PM has to comply with CRTC-mandated plans (low cost) ?

See https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

The "Prepaid occasional-use plan" mentions "Maximum $100/year".

$100 / 12 months = 8.33, so PM plans are above this maximum.

thanks

17 REPLIES 17

@Meow 

Welcome to disagree.  But again, it is market position.  When you manage 3 brands selling the same product, you need to have a clear difference or if not, people would keep spreading  "PM is merged with Koodo?" rumour 

I guess when you order UberX, you would not expect an Uber Blsck to come.  Asking for an Uber Premier SUV is definitely forgotten to check the price before ordering:)

@softech 

Sorry, tend to disagree.

If you REALLY look at Telus' $15 plan and read small print the way I see after you use your 100 min you are going to PAY for each and every minute above. Same goes for data. So Telus sucks you up with 'great offer' and then charges you arm and leg if you go overboard.

PM HAD the BEST $15 plan ever. You use your 100 min - your service just stops until next renewal. Same for data.

I will NEVER take Telus' offer and I do not want to watch my minutes/data like crazy. Same goes for their $100 offer; it is promo with Telus' ability to CUT OFF promo at will. No thanks. I like clean bill. You eat - you pay. I do not want after lunch to have zillion small charges for coat hanger, valet parking, deep bowing, mandatory tip, and similar.

PM instead of attracting customers with fair service and low prices just alienates everybody with endless glitches, no ability to change credit card info, etc. etc.

Would you prefer to sell 100 decent cars a month at small profit or 1-2 uber cars with huge profit????

@Meow 

can we discuss Telus, I guess so.  But I just want to make sure the discussion not going off track and starts talking about other providers.  Afterall, he did talked about "find a link to these tier 1 low cost plans", which could also means non-Telus 🙂

and I don't see any greed (I remember my Community best buddy likes to use this term a lot), it is afterall strictly business.   Also, if Telus family has the same plan, I see no problem Telus directs the customers within the family.  It's call market position.  There is really no greed at all as Telus itself has this $15 plan for any customers who needs this plan

PM is part of Telus. 3rd tier provider.
I see nothing wrong mentioning other providers particularly if it is the same company and discussing their offers.

I cannot find $15 plan at Telus. Cheapest is $25.

PM used to have FANTASTIC $15 plan with exact same features you mentioned. Not anymore. That is called GREED!

@Wayworn wrote:

@softech wrote:

@Wayworn wrote:

the CRTC specifically says postpaid for $15 plans. ”

I can’t seem to find these $15 plans with any other carrier than Freedom mobile that in fact even offers a $5 plan. However I prefer to stay with the likes of Telus and Bell. Can you please direct me to these $15 plans.

@Wayworn wrote:

Yup $15 plan as outlined by the CRTC is  still available in Quebec.

@Wayworn 

your "quote" is not completed

this is the page that has it
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

the page clearly said 
We are therefore expecting Bell, Rogers, Telus and SaskTel to offer and promote low-cost and occasional-use plans. 

So, it is a requirement for Tier 1 providers and not for other Tier 2 and 3 providers.   The idea is people who need the Low-income plan can go to those Tier 1 providers.   PM is therefore not bounded by this rule.  PM has been offering $15 plan just as a courtesy. 

Yes thank you , I do understand but I tried to ask that I can't seem to find any $15 plans offered by Telus or Bell. Can you find a link to these tier 1 low cost plans, or is it just a suggestion by the CRTC that they don't have to oblige ?

@Wayworn 

you are in the wrong forum to ask for other providers' info

Please only discuss PM's plan and service within PM Community

@Wayworn wrote:

the CRTC specifically says postpaid for $15 plans. ”

I can’t seem to find these $15 plans with any other carrier than Freedom mobile that in fact even offers a $5 plan. However I prefer to stay with the likes of Telus and Bell. Can you please direct me to these $15 plans.

Wayworn_0-1725634651382.png

@Wayworn wrote:

Yup $15 plan as outlined by the CRTC is  still available in Quebec.

@Wayworn 

your "quote" is not completed

this is the page that has it
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

the page clearly said 
We are therefore expecting Bell, Rogers, Telus and SaskTel to offer and promote low-cost and occasional-use plans. 

So, it is a requirement for Tier 1 providers and not for other Tier 2 and 3 providers.   The idea is people who need the Low-income plan can go to those Tier 1 providers.   PM is therefore not bounded by this rule.  PM has been offering $15 plan just as a courtesy. 

Hugene
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think $19 is still a very attractive deal with a tiny bit of data added for use in emergency

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jacob_Brooks 

PM still offers a $15 plan.  In Quebec. And only until September 5.

Austin_0005

That explains it.

PM plans are still affordable anyway.

@Austin_0005 wrote:

If PM is not part of CRTC, why do they send us occasional texts about resolving issues?

I used to have the $15 for school kids and it was very helpful….

No carrier is part of the CRTC as the CRTC is a regulatory body separate from carriers.  As for the rules about $15 plans, that only applies to postpaid accounts, something that Public Mobile does not have.  Please visit https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm and you'll see that the CRTC specifically says postpaid for $15 plans.   As for contacting someone to resolve complaints, that's not the CRTC that customers are being encouraged to contact but is rather the CCTS.

Austin_0005

If PM is not part of CRTC, why do they send us occasional texts about resolving issues?

I used to have the $15 for school kids and it was very helpful….

EB0
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Andy85 

what could be really shocking, if PM decides to increase the price of the existing $15 plan similar to what happened with $10 plan before. I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but everything is possible.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I won't lie, PM's decision to remove the $15 plan is a little shocking. Hopefully they bring it back for people who only use cellular service occasionally. I know a lot of older individuals who use cellphones for "emergency purposes".  The $15 plan is targeted towards them.

EB0
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jacob_Brooks 

PM and Koodo are part of Telus,  Telus need to comply with CRTC, Telus has both $100 yearly plan, $15 plan, Koodo had $15 plan only, so PM doesn’t need to comply with CRTC

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Jacob_Brooks 

PM no longer offers the $15 plan.  If you want cheaper plan, you might have to look elsewhere

Meow
Mayor / Maire

This is a VERY good question I was wondering about.

Most low cost providers still do have $15 plans. For some reason PM deleted that plan for new and existing customers.

You could open a ticket and ask agent why is this happening and why PM does not follow CRTC.
If you find a customer service number from CRTC you can discuss this issue with them, too.

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

are you new subscriber or existing?

yes, for new subscribers, $19 and $20 are the cheapest.  
For existing, you have to login and check

for CRTC requirement, PM is not part of that , it is said clearly there:  "We are therefore expecting Bell, Rogers, Telus and SaskTel ".  I think Telus has enough lawyers to check and confirm

Need Help? Let's chat.