cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of spoof calls and texts new phone # today

GillsR
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, got my 1st ever phone # today . Since I received it I've gotten 5 or 6 spoof calls and texts from random bots. I keep blocking but they keep calling. This is ridiculous for a brand new phone #. Is it possible to exchange a different #?

7 REPLIES 7

on2wheels
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What phone do you have?  I found my google Pixel was excellent at stopping and detecting spam calls, and it has a reporting function to mark callers as spam. Plus they have a call screening function you can choose to use on any caller.  

@hTideGnow   I just typed the number/s into Google search box, and scrolled through the results. For some the results come up with lists of phone numbers and I can't remember which country they were in but there seem to be quite a few of these lists.  If you put the number in quotes you will get more accurate results because it makes Google match more accurately to that number.  Anything that doesn't get a result would probably be good!

hi @Phil_Adelphus you still have the site handy?? would like to check if any of my numbers there

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@GillsR   I had that problem with the first phone number I got from PM.  I put it into Google and discovered it was on a list of phone numbers on an overseas site. There are a number of those lists. Since changing phone number is easy I went through the list of numbers PM offered and put each one into Google until I found one that was not on some list somewhere.  I changed to that one, no more problem.

GillsR
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thx

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @GillsR yes, if the number gives you too much trouble, then change it.

You can change it 4 times a cycle , pick one from a newer area code of possible, at least this helps to reduce calls from previous owners of that number 

@GillsR wrote:

Hi, got my 1st ever phone # today . Since I received it I've gotten 5 or 6 spoof calls and texts from random bots. I keep blocking but they keep calling. This is ridiculous for a brand new phone #. Is it possible to exchange a different #?

I new phone number can be changed to within your Self Serve account.  However, changing your number may not help.  Automatic dialers are likely being used to call all possible combinations of phone numbers.

Need Help? Let's chat.