cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to switch from Virgin to Public, can I port my number over?

thewookiee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently with Virgin, my phone is a Google Pixel 6 Pro.  My contract is ending next week on Jan 10th.

I want to switch to Public Mobile and take advantage of the Boxing Week promotion going on right now but that promotion is suppose to end on Jan 8th.

My question is can I port my current Virgin phone number over to Public? If I can, do I have to cancel my Virgin account first, or can I order the promotion plan I want now and just wait till my contract is over with Virgin and then cancel it?

Also I was going through the process online to order the plan, got to the payment portion, but I did not see an option there to import a number.

TIA

11 REPLIES 11

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:
Public Mobile currently accepts credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express), Visa debit, and MasterCard debit cards issued by Canadian or American financial institutions ...

Nice. Sometimes changes at Public Mobile are actual improvements for Public Mobile subscribers.

If only they would accept PayPal like every other civilized vendor does, lol.

Although I suppose you gotta draw the line somewhere: I can easily imagine the many reasons they'd would want to refuse crypto-based payment methods. The last thing Telus wants is subscriber anonymity/pseudonymity ... the mobile telemetry on a online/digital identity is worth much more when it is anchored to a realworld/physical identity.

@Korth_ wrote:

@thewookiee wrote:

At the payment section, and it won't accept my Costco Mastercard.  It keeps saying Payment Failed! Please use a different payment method.

I thought Public Mobile only accepts Visa and Visa variants? No Mastercard, no Amex, etc.

HI @Korth_ 

no, PM is very well round in terms of card payment
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/update-or-remove-your-payment-card

Public Mobile currently accepts credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express), Visa debit, and MasterCard debit cards issued by Canadian or American financial institutions that are associated with addresses in Canada or the U.S.

captaincool
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You just have to be patient and try it again.  I always like to do my online after midnight.  Things seem to work better that way 😜😜😜

captaincool

That take MC but not AE.  

Korth_

@thewookiee wrote:

At the payment section, and it won't accept my Costco Mastercard.  It keeps saying Payment Failed! Please use a different payment method.

I thought Public Mobile only accepts Visa and Visa variants? No Mastercard, no Amex, etc.

HI @thewookiee 

payment system seems to be very unstable lately.  Lots of reports about similar problem to yours. 

Please wait an hour and try again, maybe even try a different card.  If that wait for an hour does not work, you can wait another 24 hours, or you can ask agent for help as well while you wait the 24 hours.   please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437     

thewookiee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks all for the help.

Now my new issue.  I am trying to order a plan and an esim.  At the payment section, and it won't accept my Costco Mastercard.  It keeps saying Payment Failed! Please use a different payment method.

sam01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wouldn’t wait, keep your Virgin account active until you port over the number. They’ll prorate the unused days on your plan.

Korth_

@thewookiee 

You should always, always initiate a number port request through your new provider, not your old one. Regardless whether Public Mobile is either one of those providers.

And you need to have active service on both accounts to make the port. Yes, this means you have to pay for some overlap, although some providers (not including Public Mobile) will give you a pro-rated refund for any unused portion of your billing cycle. Your old provider may or may not send an SMS or email for 2FA confirmation purposes which you must reply to in a short time period, this is a security measure to prevent strangers from stealing your phone number away.

You would basically request a number port through Public Mobile. Activate a new account with Public Mobile with some randomly-assigned temporary phone number. Keep using your existing (Virgin) phone service. Until, one day, it stops working - and you swap out the Virgin SIM card with a Public Mobile SIM, reboot your phone, start using your old phone number on your new provider's service. Your old account with your old provider will be automatically terminated. That's how the system is designed, all carriers must comply with CRTC regulations about it. Still, you should confirm your old account is closed (you can't login to it anymore) when it should be closed, sometimes "mistakes" happen and people keep getting billed, you don't want that to happen to you.

The CRTC allows a maximum of 10 days for a mobile number port to complete. For most people the port is partially complete within just 5-10 minutes - you can often walk out of a store with working service, for example - but this usually only works with local calling area and you carrier's network. It seems to usually take 1-3 business days for the port to fully complete, for all the networks across Canada to use your number properly - until then, there can be frustrating malfunctioning weirdness when you try to connect with people in other calling areas.

captaincool

Yes, you should do it early.  You don't want Virgin to change you a new month while you porting.  Take advantage of the new promotion.  You just port your number over .  PM will pull your phone number out of Virgin and virgin will text you to confirm that you are leaving so no need to call to cancel.  Try to get the sim card before porting so you don't have to wait for delivery.  Any Telus booth or Amazon 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@thewookiee 

You want to first confirm your number is eligible to port into PM first here:

Confirm your number is eligible to port into PM (it is a Koodo site because both Koodo and PM use the same Telus system):
https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

Then, make sure your old provider account is still active.  Login to your old provider account and make note of the account number

Next, get a Public Mobile sim card from

(or you can also activate with eSIM if you want)

Once you have the sim card, activate your account by using the PM app (preferred way) or online on PM web site - https://www.publicmobile.ca/plans , pick a plan and click Subscribe.  (Please note you can start from the site but you will still need to download the app to complete the activation after the payment step).   
After the payment step, you will get to the phone number step.  You will request to Transfer your exiting number instead of picking a new number.  Please provide your current phone number and the account number of the old provider as the porting info.

Once activation is completed , still have the old provider sim card in your phone.  Your old provider will send you a SMS and ask your permission for the porting.  You need to reply YES within 90 mins for the porting to complete

Once replied yes, you can put your PM sim card in a phone and wait for incoming calls to come.  Reboot your phone ever 30 mins and test incoming call from another line.  If incoming call reaches your PM sim card, then the Porting is completed

Need Help? Let's chat.