cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance calling

SmurffY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I am a brand spanking new customer with Public. Within my first few hours, I realized long distance calling didn't work. It kept telling me that I ran out of time. Doesn't this come with the pay as you go type of thing for long distance calls? I don't call long distance often but would like to have the ability to do so without signig up package that I would barely use.

Any knowledge transfer from the oldbees?

Thanks a lot

12 REPLIES 12

SmurffY

Hi Handy1

Thanks for all you replies.

If it's texts from friends and people I know, that is fine. Like you mentioned iMessage, Samsung message, Whatapp or any other messaging services will be more than enough. What I meant by receiving text messages aborad is like.. Sometime when you are purchasing, banks sent you an text to make sure it's you. Or any other 2-verify thingees.. I think even public mobile itself, texts quite often for a 5 or 6 digit codes... As much as the 5G packages Public mobile provides are very tempting, I think I am gonna call my old provider to see if they will still give me my old package since I am like switching back right away.

@SmurffY  that’s one of the draw backs of pre paid service Unfortunately. why we get low cost plans . You can get text now app  or what’s app and message via wifi or with IPhone to iPhone on wifi 

SmurffY

I do use the local sims when I travel but there are cases that you need to receive text messages on the regular number on trips

@SmurffY  PM will only work in Canada ond the US with roaming add on or the CAN/US plans . any where else in the world you’re best to get local  pre paid sim 

@SmurffY PM has only option for US roaming and no where else.  Where you see the UK coverage?

And if you go US regularly, they do offer Canada-US plan for $50, a very good deal for frequent US raveler 

SmurffY

What about roaming? The fact that there are US and UK coverage maps on the website. It has to have roaming 

@SmurffY  PM is pre paid so no overages here , with post paid like telus you can call anywhere but be charged handsomely for it 

@SmurffY PM is a prepaid which is different from Postpaid

With Prepaid, the biggest advantage is that you won't call by mistakes or overuse the data and end up with a big bill.  So, unlike Postpaid, there is no surprise billing here.   Of course, the drawback is that you have to plan ahead with your spending. 

SmurffY

It seems like a big hassle. Calling LD from the cell phone is usually emergency. Therefore, signing up any packages is just waste of time. The magrity of thd providers are also prepaid though but they can still do the long distance charging if it happens... 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@SmurffY  You can call anywhere in Canada  . There is a CAN /US roaming plan you can call US and use there to call home . But any where else you need long distance add on 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SmurffY  PM is a prepaid provider and you need to buy the proper Long distance addon to call the country

Where you are trying to calling? these are the only addons you can buy to call.  If the country you want to call is not here, you will have to use calling card instead:

100 Philippines Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Rewards points)
1000 U.K. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Rewards points)
1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Rewards points) all 50 states, plus Pureto Rico and the US Virgin Islands
500 China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Rewards points)
500 min Canada-Wide Long Distance - $5.00 (5 Rewards points)
750 India & Pakistan Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Rewards points)
300 International Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Rewards points)
**Intl long distance Add-On included countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela. Calls must originate from Canada.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @SmurffY 

you cannot call everywhere using PM, you need to buy before calling. where you want to call?

Need Help? Let's chat.