cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light Phone 2 not making calls

waymz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone, I've just joined Public Mobile as I wanted to get the Light Phone and wanted to get away from the 'big carriers' as best I could.  Light Phone says they have users that use the phone on the Public Mobile Network.

I got the phone and I am able to send and receive texts with my PM sim card but when I try to make a phone call it says 'connecting...' and then eventually just says 'call ended'.  I've asked some friends to call me and it goes straight to voice mail.

I contacted Light Phone and this was the response:

Hi -
I'm sorry about this. We have seen this with some carriers if they do not initially set up your SIM and account for voice over LTE (VoLTE). Everything connects OK, but the voice channel isn't picking up the sound. Please ask your carrier to make sure your SIM card is provisioned for a VoLTE-only phone and that should resolve it.

Wondering if there's any way to check this through Public Mobile or if anyone has any suggestions!  Thanks so much!

9 REPLIES 9

I doubt VoLTE will be coming here soon.. Jade said they are looking into this back in April, i think... but I think it was just an "official' stand.. looking for the possibility.. will they do it?  I doubt it.. not for now

I think they will push to the absolute last minute..  In fact, I am still leaning towards to believe that PM might even get sucked into Koodo prepaid.. (got the feeling from seeing there were pretty much no "meaningful" marketing campaign at all this  year.  From what I see, they are just keeping the light on and not acting to expand the brand or user base) .. Afterall, it's easier to maintain one less brand.. but it's just my believe from what I see.

If Telus is keeping the 3 tiers in post-3G era, then yes, VoLTE is coming.. but I see the three 3rd  tier providers will work work together and not to introduce it until the very last day

Roaming could be a different story.. but seeing even Fido prepaid is giving up US roaming, I don't have much confidence with PM.. afterall, Lucky has no roaming at all and not hard to just follow 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@waymz 

I would definitely be complaining to Light Phone for selling you a phone under false pretenses. I can understand a salesclerk being mistaken but the manufacturer should be completely versed in their products specifications and frequencies when assuring a customer that their product will work on the intended provider.

@darlicious most likely their sales team looked at PM's available LTE frequencies and saw a match and did not seek to verify that VoLTE services were actually available to PM customers.  I suspect it was an innocent enough mistake but yes @waymz should let them know and try to pursue a refund.

@darlicious wrote:

But saying that Jade_s teased us in another thread today so your phone may become compatible in the near future.....

@darlicious You've jumped to a potentially dangerous conclusion here.  The context of the question that Jade is looking into is while roaming in the USA.  AT&T is sunsetting their 3G network in Feb 2022, as is T-Mobile in July 2022.  Jade said she is trying to get clarity.  That clarity could just as easily be "sorry you're out of luck when roaming", or "we will be able to provision you VoLTE while roaming in the USA". 

While we can't rule it out, I don't think we should conclude that domestic VoLTE will be coming to PM customers in the short term.  And it is misleading to suggest this to @waymz until we know either way.  What if they decide to hang on to the phone and wait for this miracle and it turns out it's not coming, or not until near the end of 2025 when the Big 3 Canadian carriers are planning to shut down their 3G networks?

EDIT: fixed T-Mo timing.  Reference: https://northernbi.com/3g-sunset-update-for-us-and-canadian-network-carriers/

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@waymz 

I would definitely be complaining to Light Phone for selling you a phone under false pretenses. I can understand a salesclerk being mistaken but the manufacturer should be completely versed in their products specifications and frequencies when assuring a customer that their product will work on the intended provider.

But saying that Jade_s teased us in another thread today so your phone may become compatible in the near future.....

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

@waymz wrote:

I understand that, but then how would there be people on the network that are successfully using the phone?

@waymz 

I think very likely there is no one on PM using this phone... unless people use Light Phone on PM for Data only.  But I doubt it as the  plan here is not the cheapest to use for data only..  (there are better tablet /data-only plans out there with true LTE speed)

it could also be Light phone support  mixing up PM  with Koodo and Telus.  

Bottom line, without 3G, your phone would not be able to make and receive voice calls

@waymz I agree with @softech.  Light Phone 2 appears to have no W-CDMA (3G) support, while PM definitely has no VoLTE (4G calling) support.... thus, the two are incompatible, regardless what their site says.  You would need to be on a post-paid plan at the 1st (Telus, Bell, Rogers) or 2nd (Koodo, Virgin Plus, Fido) tiers to have VoLTE available.  However, that said, I can speak from experience that even with a VoLTE-capable device, Koodo typically does not allow you to provision VoLTE support unless you have one of the devices on their list of supported devices.  For best compatibility, I'd actually suggest you look at a post-paid plan at Koodo, since I don't believe they restrict what devices are allowed to use VoLTE (or at least, they haven't in the past).   

OR: get a different phone and fight the Light Phone people refund you for being incorrect about compatibility with your carrier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@waymz wrote:

I understand that, but then how would there be people on the network that are successfully using the phone?

@waymz 

I think very likely there is no one on PM using this phone... unless people use Light Phone on PM for Data only.  But I doubt it as the  plan here is not the cheapest to use for data only..  (there are better tablet /data-only plans out there with true LTE speed)

it could also be Light phone support  mixing up PM  with Koodo and Telus.  

Bottom line, without 3G, your phone would not be able to make and receive voice calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

@waymz 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings and Changing APN Settings,
for iphone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone,

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

try to check update your device,

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@waymz  - does this phone have an option to choose 3G under the mobile connection area?

Try manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) and see if this improves your current issue.

Also, to confirm this is not an account or SIM issue, try the SIM into another compatible phone to see if calls work.

EDIT: IF issues persist in other phones, contact CSA to check your account provisioning.

Two ways to reach them here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

waymz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@waymz   PM does not have VoLTE.. It only use 3G for voice calls.   

Light Phone 2 has ONLY 4G and hence it is not connecting to PM 3G network for voice calls

Need Help? Let's chat.