cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo $30 connection fee

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If anyone is still thinking of switching might want to do it before April 12.

koodo.png

27 REPLIES 27

Wonder_why

@srlawrenwrote:

@Acekillerwrote:

this is like going grocery shopping and they charge you for shopping.

@Acekiller maybe closer to say the Costco membership fee?  You pay it once at sign up just like the Koodo activation fee.  The only difference is at Costco you keep paying yearly.  I guess you would pay it maybe semi-yearly at Koodo if you did 2 year contracts for hardware purchase and renewed at the end of each. 

@srlawren not really, if you do online, no connection fees, only at store or kiosk, I don't pay Costco annually fees 😃,I am Costco family member 🤗

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Acekillerwrote:

@Acekiller maybe closer to say the Costco membership fee?  You pay it once at sign up just like the Koodo activation fee.  The only difference is at Costco you keep paying yearly.  I guess you would pay it maybe semi-yearly at Koodo if you did 2 year contracts for hardware purchase and renewed at the end of each. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Michael77

@computergeek541wrote:

@Michael77wrote:

I was told awhile back by one of the kiosk customer service reps that the big 3 do meet together on a regular basis. It makes sense considering the prices and plans are pretty much identical. Also, most of the promotions start and end around the same time. 

If they are meeting on a regular basis to discuss and set pricing, that would be collusion which is not only considered anti-competitive, but is also illegal.  I'm not going to say either way if that really does go on, except that the average Canadian consumer is most definitely highly suspcious.  As for if that kiosk employee has any real information, I highly doubt that.

Both Rogers and Bell own Glentel. I am sure they are talking to each other. They are partners after all. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glentel

Koodo also imposes some other "pay-per-use" and "one-time charge" fees ...

https://www.koodomobile.com/payperuse

Add/remove/change add-on = $10

Address change = $10

Plan change = $10

Reconnection after suspension/nonpayment = $35

Transfer of ownership = $10

Mailed copy of bill = $5 per bill

(Some of these charges are waived - $0 free! - if done through online Self-Serve)

@Michael77wrote:

I was told awhile back by one of the kiosk customer service reps that the big 3 do meet together on a regular basis. It makes sense considering the prices and plans are pretty much identical. Also, most of the promotions start and end around the same time. 

If they are meeting on a regular basis to discuss and set pricing, that would be collusion which is not only considered anti-competitive, but is also illegal.  I'm not going to say either way if that really does go on, except that the average Canadian consumer is most definitely highly suspcious.  As for if that kiosk employee has any real information, I highly doubt that.

Michael77

@tzliuwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@Kaiyowrote:

I bet this fee (at least one of the reasons) is to deter the many many many people that sign up to get a phone for cheap and then cancel right away. Where they get gift cards etc along with discounted phone on a tab and then cancel right after and only having to payoff the tab balance which is a fraction of the retail price of the phone. 

@Kaiyo seems a reasonable theory actually.

@computergeek541 to your question:  sadly--and don't get me wrong here, I think the activation fee should be $0 and maybe a minimial SIM card fee at most--but $30 isn't terribly out of line given that Fido currently charges $25 activation fee (which includes the SIM card too).  You know the way the Canadian industry works here....one provider tries something new to make more money, then the rest jump on board, either immediately or gradually, and then they start one-upping themselves by creeping the prices higher, and the others match to suit.  So, I could honestly easily see Koodo replacing the $15 SIM card purchase with a $30 activation fee to take a bigger bite out of customer acquisition costs, and I bet we'd watch the other brands follow suit over time.

You're right.  The other carriers are likely to copy/follow suit in their funny idea of "competition".  To be fair every once in a while, the carriers do surprise us. I can't remember a specific example, but there have been times when one carrier did introduce a new fee or raise prices of other miscellaneous fees are plan prices but others did not follow. But yes, most of the time, pricing is usually identical.  The cycnical part of me wonders if there is something going on there that shouldn't.  We know that carriers would not allowed to sit down together and set prices.  But look at what happened with the recent bread prices and how one company finally admitted to it setting prices in an unfair way.

Maybe we should start class action lawsuit for price collusion if the competition bureau continues to ignore the issue. 

I'm not going to say that it is happening and I'm not going to accuse any particular carrier because I don't want to get sued, but also because I don't have any proof.   However, I believe it fair to say that consumers have been suspicious of wireless carriers for years, just as with companies behind gassoline prices.

@tzliuwrote:

@computergeek541wrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@Kaiyowrote:

I bet this fee (at least one of the reasons) is to deter the many many many people that sign up to get a phone for cheap and then cancel right away. Where they get gift cards etc along with discounted phone on a tab and then cancel right after and only having to payoff the tab balance which is a fraction of the retail price of the phone. 

@computergeek541 to your question:  sadly--and don't get me wrong here, I think the activation fee should be $0 and maybe a minimial SIM card fee at most--but $30 isn't terribly out of line given that Fido currently charges $25 activation fee (which includes the SIM card too).  You know the way the Canadian industry works here....one provider tries something new to make more money, then the rest jump on board, either immediately or gradually, and then they start one-upping themselves by creeping the prices higher, and the others match to suit.  So, I could honestly easily see Koodo replacing the $15 SIM card purchase with a $30 activation fee to take a bigger bite out of customer acquisition costs, and I bet we'd watch the other brands follow suit over time.

You're right.  The other carriers are likely to copy/follow suit in their funny idea of "competition".  To be fair every once in a while, the carriers do surprise us. I can't remember a specific example, but there have been times when one carrier did introduce a new fee or raise prices of other miscellaneous fees are plan prices but others did not follow. But yes, most of the time, pricing is usually identical.  The cycnical part of me wonders if there is something going on there that shouldn't.  We know that carriers would not allowed to sit down together and set prices.  But look at what happened with the recent bread prices and how one company finally admitted to it setting prices in an unfair way.

Maybe we should start class action lawsuit for price collusion if the competition bureau continues to ignore the issue. 

Good luck with that.  How long has the oil industry been doing the same thing with gas stations?  Has anything been done to recalibrate behavior there?  This is an artifact of monopolies at work and we have to live with it.

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541wrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@Kaiyowrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This fee applies when using a physical store and the call center.  Many who frequent this forum know my views about the online model.  Online is improving efficiency in retail and all consumers benefit.  Honestly, I don't want my monthly fees to pay for all those kiosks that litter the malls.  Why shouldn't those who want them and rely on them pay their own way.  Those who scoff at the old Public Mobile model, think again.  Now that Public Mobile wants to get into the same game, I would not mind at all seeing extra charges for those going the retail route.

@srlawrenwrote:

@Kaiyowrote:

srlawren

@Kaiyowrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Kaiyowrote:

Peraps, but it also deters people from becoming customers.

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541wrote:

Is Koodo really going to do this?  Let's send everything back into the wireless stone ages, and while we are at it, let's bring back the system access fee, which I believe most people believe was a mandatory government tax.  Let's also spend a whole bunch on marketing and commercials and offer promotions to new customers, but at the same time, charge them for the "privilege" of becoming a customer.  I sure hope this isn't true, but if it is, good job Koodo!  (sarcasm)

I know the fee can be avoided by activating or upgrading online, but surely, this can't be good for the salespeoples' commissions.

I also wonder about how Koodo will handle situations of a customers or potential new customer who have vision impairments.  I would imagine they'd likely waive the fee in such cases (or at least I believe that they should).

koimr1

They could be setting up future "and if you act now we'll waive our normal connection fee!" promotions and/or giving salespeople something to sweeten the pot with.

But on the whole, yeah, "connection fee" seems so archaic. From what I've seen it's pretty automated when in-store.

Is Koodo really going to do this?  Let's send everything back into the wireless stone ages, and while we are at it, let's bring back the system access fee, which I believe most people believe was a mandatory government tax.  Let's also spend a whole bunch on marketing and commercials and offer promotions to new customers, but at the same time, charge them for the "privilege" of becoming a customer.  I sure hope this isn't true, but if it is, good job Koodo!  (sarcasm)

I know the fee can be avoided by activating or upgrading online, but surely, this can't be good for the salespeoples' commissions.

I also wonder about how Koodo will handle situations of a customers or potential new customer who have vision impairments.  I would imagine they'd likely waive the fee in such cases (or at least I believe that they should).

WilliamYoung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

OK , found it . Thanks 

WilliamYoung

OK , I looked for that before posting and didn't ess it. Having trouble navigating this site but will keep trying for a while .

When you reply there is a box to check "Email me when someone replies"

WilliamYoung

OK , the start a new topic button has installed for me now but would still like response's from my above message . Also is there a way to set my message for email notificatin when ther are resposes 

WilliamYoung

Sorry to pirate this thread but I have just now registerd in and cannot find where to start a new topic. This deal seems to be too good to be true and would like to hear from anyone in the Creston BC area that is using Public mobile  and also waht this $30.00 fee is all about because my phone is with Koodo 

mimmo

Well on the bright side they will longer charge for sim cards.

Wonder_why

Is only money 💰💴💵💶💷💸💳 charge it 😄😃

Yup --- TELUS is ripping everyone off now.

Can't charge to unlock a phone, pay a connection fee in store.

Don't want to pay connection fee, sign up postpaid on line.

Don't want to sign up postpaid, go prepaid, and pay $20+tax for the SIM.

BAD DEAL TELUS!!!

Koodo really pushing people to use online services as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CalvinW

Highway robbery right here. 

Need Help? Let's chat.