cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is more data really worth it?

Nathan_Pjmans01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So far with all of the new Black Friday deals, it looks tempting to switch to a higher subscription for more data and I have been considering it. However, is, let's say 20GB really worth it? I'm currently a university student and I don't really go out that much, but I'm wondering if I'm skipping out on a great deal with the 34$ sale that's going on right now. 

11 REPLIES 11

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nathan_Pjmans01 depends how much you use and what you're paying now. If you're on $25/1GB, are okay with the speed, and never go over 1GB, moving to $34/40GB is not going to give you anything but it's going to cost $108/yr+tax.

I'm on $25/1GB@3G speed and it's fine for me (both quantity and speed), I'm on WiFi most of the time and almost never go over (and I have several never-expire ancient data add-ons to tap into). I would not be interested in $34/40GB, though I do have a change booked on my next renewal to a $29 plan (no longer offered for existing customers). Even that is hurting to do, because I'll be spending an extra $48/yr+tax and not getting anything I actually need. But I can't argue with $4/mo, and if 1 month I go way over 1GB (say my WiFi goes down) it will have been worth it. But not $9/mo for me. 🙂

That said, if you're not on the $15 or $25 plan, you're probably paying more than $34/mo so it will be a price break for you.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Nathan_Pjmans01 it comes down to what is more important to you at this point in your life... Saving money or having more data?

If you are currently on a budget plan such as the $25/1gb and switch to the $34/40gb, you will clearly have 39 extra gigs in a month. But it'll cost you $9 + tax. Over the course of a year, that's $108 + tax. That could be the cost of some textbooks if you don't really use data. Like I said, it comes down to your usage and what you need more at this point in your life.

stitchintim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Check your usage records to figure out how much data you typically use per month. If you want to continue the same pattern of usage, pick the cheapest plan that covers your typical usage plus a buffer of say 10-25%. Or if there's a particular reason you expect or want to use significantly more than you've historically used, pick a deal that seems like a good value for that. If you find you aren't consistently using close to the maximum data you're paying for, you can downgrade the plan later.

sarah3339
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you have to find a balance that works best for you. If you aren't using all the data you currently pay for then its probably not worth the shift. I personally changed mine to the Black Friday sale because I keep running out of data at the worst times!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Nathan_Pjmans01 , the big gig plans are worth it if you need the large amounts of data.  Buy the lowest cost plan that meets your needs.  FOMO offers terrible value.  

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nathan_Pjmans01 

It all depends if you need the data or not. Do not get it due to “Fear of Missing Out”. The BF promos are great deals….but there will always be a better deal in the future. As a university student you will always have free wifi on campus. If you do not need extra data… then save your money.

Edit: As a University student you should also look into Eduroam. The eduroam collaborative network allows students, faculty, and staff access to wireless services at cooperating universities without obtaining a guest account. Visiting users from other participating institutions can login to the eduroam wireless network using the same credentials they would at their home institution.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Basic 25$ plan works for me for years. Wi-fi everywhere

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Nathan_Pjmans01 

this is really a personal call and no one can answer you

you can pay more for more data just in case you need them one day.  As you know, if you take cheaper plan and you run out of data, it is very $$ to buy even just 1GB

Only you know the answer if you want to change to a more $$ plan or not , and if you can afford it or want to pay the extra 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Nathan_Pjmans01  It’s certainly is when it’s more for the same price or less even if you don’t need it take the 20GB for $34 and now the 40GB for $34 seems like a no brainer to me stretch those dollers and get most value you can is my motto 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Let me blow your mind then @Nathan_Pjmans01 

Public Mobile is currently offering 40 GB for the same price and options.

🤪

Need Help? Let's chat.