cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to activate the sim card without using a qr code?

Garnabby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't have another phone to scan a qr code, let alone know how to do so.

So, is there a manual way, with a link, to set up the sim card?

Thank you for any help.

11 REPLIES 11

hi @Garnabby yes, if you want eSIM, install the app on the phone you want the esim there

Garnabby

On second thought, I better move slowly with this thing, order only the sim card.

Garnabby

@hTideGnow 

Do I "use Public Mobile App and the app will install everything for you" with the phone that I want to use with PM?

Garnabby

Okay, I will jump in with the $15 plan, and, then, try to figure things out from there.

Garnabby

Acaltel Onetouch

Model A392A

@Garnabby 

If it is a 2G and 3G phone. You should consider get a new phone soon before 3G will be decommissioned in 2025.

I would suggest the Samsung A03S from Staples or Moto G Play from Costco. Both are under $150.

EB0
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think public mobile is sending QT in the activation emails, so, open the email in your computer, and scan the QR code using your phone

@Garnabby 

do a old style flip phone is ok?

something like this?

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/phones/zte-cymbal-2

Garnabby

@BKNS27Thanks.

About six years ago, my partner used an Alcatel Onetouch phone on PM.  I'm not sure that it's a 2 or 3 G phone.  I still have that phone, but, I, likely, will have to buy a new one.  Something cheap to get by for simple phone calls.

I'm a Luddite when it comes to this stuff, but, patient enough to work through it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Garnabby 

only two ways to install,

1. use QR code as you said

2. use Public Mobile App and the app will install everything for you

Yes, for some carriers, you might be able to manually add it, but not with Public Mobile

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Garnabby 

Please note you need to activate a SIM on the PM app on your phone.

The QR code is for activating an eSIM if your phone is eSIM compatible on newer phones.

What is the make and model of your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.