cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ireland & UK - Not the usual questions (I promise)

Import_from_NS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Headed to the UK via Dublin. I know my PM phone will not work, will not received texts or calls, will not make them etc etc. 

I want to know that since it doesn't work, if I use my phone on Wifi, that there's no way I'm going to be charged roaming for anything. Logically, if I have no service, then I shouldn't be charged anything even if the phone tries to connect to local networks. But can someone actually confirm that turning on my PM phone, with my PM SIM card still inserted. to use it on the Wifi service is absolutely without hidden charges for me. 

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Import_from_NS  If you've not left and would consider local service check out https://www.giffgaff.com. I use them when visiting UK and will send you SIM if you private message me. Giffgaff SIMs are free. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Community_QA 

Good point about both parties having WhatsApp but you can use the same PM number. 

TextNow and Fongo are also good but you need to pick a new number and you need to use it once a month or loss the number you picked.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

An iPhone on wifi can iMessage other iPhone users from/to anywhere. 

And as others mention there are apps to use as well. 

No charges to your phone when out of country.....with no “while” in USA apps.  Have heard inbound texts work in USA without an addon. 

Airports sell local SIM cards. Check best deals before you go. Also free wifi may be hard to find in UK check that too, before you leave. 

Give Molly a rub for me🥴🥴

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BKNS27 a better solution is to use TextNow or Fongo 

Whatsapp is good, and common, but only works if both have it

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Import_from_NS 

As noted by everyone here, you won’t be charged for roaming since PM doesn’t work in UK.

You can download WhatsApp for free international calling and texting through WiFi.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yes, good news is that you won't get any surprise charges like that with PM. 

Import_from_NS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@JK8 
Perfect. Saves me diddling around taking my SIM out, keeping it safe and then putting back when I return. I can just go as I am and once it stops working, know I can carry on using my apps etc on Wifi without coming home to a large unexpected bill. Thank you. 

@RossN - Thank you. Phew. 

@dabr - Perfect. Thanks. That was my logic but it's nice to have it confirmed. 

hTideGnow  Thank you. I will. Super excited now. Not been home since 2016. Dad is 80 on Monday and has no clue I'm coming. Haven't seen my parents since they last came here 10 years ago. It's gonna be wild.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Import_from_NS   

Just enjoy the trip.  There is NO WAY the phone will connect with your PM SIM and cost you any charges  🙂

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Import_from_NS   Yes, I've used my phone in Europe and can confirm there's no roaming charges since PM doesn't offer any roaming service outside of US, plus being prepaid means you can't get billed for services you've not already paid for.

Edit:  Also yes to keeping the SIM in your phone won't incur charges as I left mine in which was convenient as I had service immediately once I landed back in Canada.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Import_from_NS Hi I can absolutely confirm you will not get any roaming fees while there 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Import_from_NS 

There will be no hidden charges. PM is all prepaid. PM only works while you are in Canada or in the US with roaming add ons.

Need Help? Let's chat.