cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 7 not working in USA

GeneL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife has an older iPhone 7 that is unable to send/receive calls. Error message of "Call Failed".  Assuming this is an issue with 3G services being disabled in Nevada, where we are for the winter. Her phone is set to LTE. 

We both both have a US plan, my iPhone 12 works fine on the AT&T network set to LTE. 

Is it possible to buy a used "newer" iPhone in the USA that is unlocked with her existing Canadian Public Mobile Simm card?  

6 REPLIES 6

GeneL

Verizon, not sprint..sorry.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@GeneL   Only T-Mobile of PM's roaming partners still has 2G, and my understanding is that it isn't available everywhere.  I'm surprised that you were seeing Sprint since it is now part of T-Mobile, but the only two options with PM's roaming are T-Mobile and AT&T in any case.  Hopefully the iPhone 12 will solve the problem.  Eventually Canada is supposed to be shutting down 3G also but nobody seems to know for certain when (rumoured to be end 2025) so anyone with an older non-VoLTE phone will eventually have problems at home too.

GeneL

Thank you for the reply. We did try 2g with several providers, T-Mobile, sprint and AT&T however none of them worked.  We’ll be looking for a replacement, probably iPhone 12 that should accept her sim.  

GeneL

Thank you for the prompt reply. That answers my question. Will look for another phone. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@GeneL   Have you tried  to connect her phone to 2G on T-Mobile'?  If you can do that her current phone should work.  If you can't get on the T-Mobile 2G network and you decide to get a new phone in the US then there are iPhones there that only do e-sim so you would have to buy the esim through her account and not be able to use your physical sim, but I'm guessing that by "newer" you don't mean the latest iPhones.  Be careful, though, because phones can still be locked in the USA.  Maybe try an Apple store for a refurbished one and try your sim while in the store?  But try 2G first as you may not need to get a new one.

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The iPhone 7 is incompatible because Public Mobile has only enabled VoLTE on iOS 16 and 17 while the iPhone 7 only supports up to iOS 15. You will need an iPhone 8 or newer to enable VoLTE on PM. A US model should work as long as it's unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.