cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM number when changing sim cards

KyleG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I'm trying to change SIM cards on behalf of my father who lost his phone with his SIM card. He's located abroad so I had to ship him the sim card that I got. Once I shipped to him, he sent me a pic of the sim card number. I went to his account > change sim card number and put in the code and I thought it worked, but days later he notified saying it wasn't working. I checked his account again and the last 4 digits was still his old sim card number. Now every time I try to activate the sim number again, it's giving me a invalid SIM card error. I triple checked to make sure it was the right number and it was. I'm hoping someone has any suggestions because I don't wanna have to get another sim card and ship it all the way to him again. Thank you

20 REPLIES 20

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@KyleG 

Where are your parents? Together? So you will still have to send a new sim card because by swapping out your mom's sim card it rendered the one in her phone as dead or deactivated. The lost phone and sim card are still active unless you suspended your father's service via lost/stolen. Either way once you get the sim card provisioned there is only one active sim card with your parents. Depending where they are there may be a quicker way of getting them a sim card.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

KyleG

ok I will try that thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you shipping it? If he's not in Canada or US then nothing from here will work.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@KyleG 

So your mom is with your dad to send you the code? Regardless it sounds like your sim card didn't provision to the account properly or much more unlikely is a dud sim card. Either way you will have to contact customer support to reprovision the sim card to see if that will work.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you mistakenly crossed SIM cards between your parents, let CSA make them right. It will be way easier for CSA to do it than if you try...

KyleG

ok, I sent him a message regarding this issue, I'm just hoping I don't have to ship him another sim card

KyleG

ok, that makes sense, I think that when my dad setup the sim cards, he mistakenly activated my mom's sim card on her account and vice versa. Could that be the reason that when I chose suspend service on my dad's account that my mom's sim card got deactivated? 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@KyleG wrote:

I didn't activate a new plan, I just went through his public mobile account, went to change sim card, did the 2fa code and all that, and thought it was done, but it didn't seem to change over to the new sim number, now that I try again, it's invalid. I think it maybe from me trying to activate it already and now that it didn't change over, it won't let me again

I believe safest approach will be to talk to CSA not to cause account suspension or worse.

Send a private message to the CSA by clicking https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@KyleG wrote:

I didn't activate a new plan, I just went through his public mobile account, went to change sim card, did the 2fa code and all that, and thought it was done

It might still be a bit of time after your 2FA authentication.    Try reboot the phone every 15 minutes for an update

KyleG

i was in his account using the change sim card function

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@KyleG 

That sounds like you swapped out your mom's sim card. Unless you sent it to the email. If she recieved the code on her phone number then that's the sim card that got swapped out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KyleG : Activate is a keyword around here. Did you activate an account and pay and all? Or were you in his account using the Change SIM function?

If HE can access his email then he could give you code to verify.

KyleG

I didn't activate a new plan, I just went through his public mobile account, went to change sim card, did the 2fa code and all that, and thought it was done, but it didn't seem to change over to the new sim number, now that I try again, it's invalid. I think it maybe from me trying to activate it already and now that it didn't change over, it won't let me again

KyleG

I'm shipping it because he is abroad and can't return home at the moment. I did activate the sim card the first time with the 2fa from my mother's phone which was the number it went to, she gave me the code and I put it in, and it said it was successful, but for some reason, it still didn't seem to change over to the new sim number when I look under change sim number on my fathers account. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@KyleG 

Uh oh....like you activated a new plan? With the new sim card?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with Meow. Why are you shipping it. And I'm with darlicious, do you have access to the registered email inbox?

KyleG

I think he was in Toronto at the time when he tried it, but it still didn't work. The sim card didn't seem to change over probably because I already attempted to activate the new sim card but it's not showing as the new sim number. I think maybe something might have glitched in the process, not sure

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Somebody more knowledgeable will definitely provide sound advice but I am just wondering why he needed SIM card at all being abroad (unless he is in US) as PM service is available in Canada and US (with add-ons) only?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

You have to verify using 2FA thru text or email before the sim card will officially swap. If you can't do it either of those ways you can contact customer support and verify the account and have a CSA swap the sim cards.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KyleG 

That sounds odd. Please get in touch with CS_Agent by private message so they can help you resolve the issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.