cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed very slow

FlipNB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switch both my wife and I to public mobile recently and we're both having some speed issues. Mine do now seem resolved by removing the LTE connection where I went from 1Mbps to 9.56Mbps average which should be fine for me (though the speed fluctuated wildly during speed tests now).

That said on my wife's Huawei P30 Lite I can't get the speed over around 1Mbps as well but on her phone if I switch it to not use LTE it won't connect at all to the internet, which is odd as it has the right bands. It uses the default PM APN so I added the one from the website but it did not improve either. It's so slow that she can't get any websites to even open and unless I can fix it really quickly she will be swapping back to another carrier.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

13 REPLIES 13

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech as of now 3g is cheaper at koodo (but still not equal to here, also a drastic $20 gap between one lower end plan and all the large data plans too on post paid. I like to keep an eye on it lol), but I wonder what they'll do when it's no longer reasonable to offer 3g plans? 🤔 what will become their, or any carriers, cheapest plans. Will lte get cheaper or will everyone just be forced to pay more. Hmmm..... 

Pawprints1986

@gpixel I thought the 3g shut down wasn't until 2025 or even 2026?

Also what do you mean by remove rewards program ? I thought they switched it up but people can stay grandfathered to the old $2 way ? I remember calculating and $2 old way is better on lower plans but the newer rewards thing is better for higher price plans. Do you see them ditching it altogether ? 🤔

3G is the Tier 3 "standard", so I am not sure if PM will up the speed if no one else does

But Koodo Prepaid , while on 3MBps speed too , is going to offer LTE speed as an option.  Not sure if PM will offer that eventually

PM is not a good company for data users... the throttle needs to be improved especially with the removal of the rewards program. one would think that because we are throttled to 3mb we would maintain that speed. but, it doesn't. 3mb is more like the best one can achieve with a good signal. and switching to 3g doesn't help anymore because Telus has started shutting down their 3g

Pawprints1986

Just wanted to share my updated speeds during prime time rather than 3am. 3g test at 4 bars and lte test at 3 bars. Upload speed particularly pathetic at 3g, not that download did much better

It's certainly not just your wife's phone

And I know it's throttled but it shouldn't be *this* bad... 

Screenshot_20220511-202355_Speedtest~01.jpg

HI @FlipNB   this is strange, if it works for Koodo, no reason why not working the same here

Only exception would be if it is an LG Phone. If it is , try a network reset or factory reset.  LG phones need that when SIM card is changed.

FlipNB

Lost track of time. She only switched a month ago and it never worked well so she has decided to switch back to LTE so this is moot.

The phone came from Koodo 3-4 years ago, it's not a new phone model or anything.

Pawprints1986

Here's mine on both connections. Not actually bad right now, but it's also almost 3am lol

Wcdma definitely faster download but LTE a bit faster upload

Screenshot_20220510-025129_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-025345_Speedtest.jpg

Pawprints1986

I've noticed it seeming slower too lately. I don't think anything is "wrong" but I've noticed it. Almost even like it's not actually trying to do anything for noticeable moments at a time. I like to try and use up remaining data for the month but I end up getting frustrated and switching to WiFi. And that's with restarting and trying individual band types too. 

I've been dealing but just wanted to express  that I've noticed it too

Freay

@FlipNB I'm wondering where did you get Huawei P30 Lite in Canada? Cause I wanna get a one to  try Lol

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Bear in mind @FlipNB , those speed tests take a good chunk of your data allotment. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@FlipNB  - try rebooting the phones and see if that improves speed.

You could also, perform a Reset of the device's Network Settings.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

How long was it working well prior, it seems to be off and on these days. It could just be a temporary thing, or has your wife's phone always been that slow?

Need Help? Let's chat.