cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I understand correctly, there is no way to unlock data or calls last second in USA

bkenney
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My job has me outdoors in the States where I need a last second phone call that the company will reimburse me for the expenses. So cost is not an issue, but if I understand it correctly you cannot purchase anything last second with Public Mobile without having internet (which if I had internet in the States I would just call over the internet and this wouldn't be required). I cannot purchase an add on prior as the company will only reimburse if a phone call was nessessary not possible.

11 REPLIES 11

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

For what you want you need to move to a post-paid carrier that has a roam like home plan whereby you only get billed the daily rate if you use it that day. That's not possible on Public Mobile. Either buy the roaming package ahead of time or when you need it, but you can't be on standby to have a roaming add on automatically added. 

@bkenney wrote:

If I buy the us add on doesn't it expire in 15 days? That would not work as I will find out I need to make a phone call 39 seconds from making the phone call. I need a solution where it's more pay per use not wasted after 15 days

@bkenney   there is no need to be upset at Public Mobile. PM is a tier 3 providers and they provide service different from it's Tier 1 or 2 brothers (Telus and Koodo).  If you need some pay-per-use roaming service, you need another provider.  Check Koodo or Telus and they might be something best for your situation.

bkenney

This sounds like a viable solution. If connected to T mobile I can use a pin after filing that number to enable an add on, thank you!

bkenney

That sounds to me like public mobile is completely useless. If I had wifi once I figured out I needed to make the call I wouldn't need this add on to begin with. I would need to make a call without wifi and not have an add on expire due to inactivity 

bkenney

If I buy the us add on doesn't it expire in 15 days? That would not work as I will find out I need to make a phone call 39 seconds from making the phone call. I need a solution where it's more pay per use not wasted after 15 days

bkenney

The typical fight where they won't provide a phone yet it's extremely beneficial to have one

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Disclaimer: I have not used this myself recently, so take it with a grain of salt and do your own tests in a non-crucial setting?

Calling 1-855-4PUBLIC gives you access to your IVR system the same way 611 does in Canada. You'll need your account PIN to access most features. 

You can buy add-ons, including US roaming add-ons, by going through the prompts in the menu.

You'll need a valid credit card registered in your account or have enough available funds to buy the add-on (you could add vouchers trough the IVR as well, but you can't buy them in physical stores in the US, so would need internet access to buy them online?)

Edit: Hm, not sure on all the details, but if my employer expects me to make roaming calls, shouldn't they set me up with a phone plan that allows me to do that?

@dust2dust I tend to forget the online vouchers, thanks for the reminder!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@bkenney 

Most businesses offer Roaming on their business cell carrier.

If not, ask your manager whether you can purchase a local SIM from Mint or Tello mobile.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is this another thread?

Another way to buy add-ons is through 611 or the toll free number. If you're connected to T-Mobile and you have reception then 611 and 1-855-4pu-blic work without any add-on. Then you can deposit money with your 4 digit pin from your registered credit card. Or buy a voucher online and enter it here without a 4 digit pin. Then you can buy a roaming add-on.

Adding - right @wetcoaster  you need the pin to buy the add-on. And you can buy the vouchers online.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yup, you need to purchase an add-on, @bkenney 

You'll need access to self-serve to do this.   Try to find a Wi-Fi zone, i guess.

EDIT:   which you must have already, as you started this thread online...

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@bkenney  You need to purchase a U.S. roaming add on to use your PM phone in the states sign into your my account and pick the US Add on you like best make sure it’s connected to T mobile and reboot the phone …. If your trying to re buy very same add on you need to wait 12-24 hours after the first one ends only support can apply the very same add on back to back 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get support by starting a conversation with virtual Chat box /SIMon. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message   To CS_Agents by clicking here.

Watch for reply top of page to the

Right ( envelope image )

Need Help? Let's chat.