cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish PM would offer WhoCalled service

SahotaCC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all, any idea if PM will offer the WhoCalled text feature anytime soon? I work on call so last week I got a missed voice mail message from work but didn’t actually get a missed call alert on my iPhone 12, but I knew if I had the WhoCalled feature added on my plan (like how I used to have with TELUS, I would have gotten a notification right away).

Will PM offer the WhoCalled feature anytime soon?

Thanks, any help is appreciated AND has this ever happened to anyone else where they get a voice mail message but NOT a missed call from that person or work; in my case?

Thank You.

13 REPLIES 13

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@SahotaCC wrote:

Hey all, any idea if PM will offer the WhoCalled text feature anytime soon? I work on call so last week I got a missed voice mail message from work but didn’t actually get a missed call alert on my iPhone 12, but I knew if I had the WhoCalled feature added on my plan (like how I used to have with TELUS, I would have gotten a notification right away).

Heya... I was able to achieve this functionality with Public Mobile for myself by using a free YouMail.com account, and setting all three conditional call forwards to it (Busy, no answer, phone off) instead of the default public mobile voicemail. Then, it takes your voicemails and emails them to you with a sound file attachment, as well as a text transcription.

The part about it that meets your desire is that even if someone calls and doesn't leave a message you *STILL* get a notification message that someone called, along with their phone number, saying "no message left". As long as the call made it to their service to at least start playing the announcement.

Rather than the messages being delivered to your email box, you can also have them sent to you via MMS, using the email address format 1234567890@mms.mb.telus.com. Sending them to you this way will not deduct data usage, but data does have to be enabled...

If you decide to try this out, you can always revert your conditional call forwarding back to the regular public mobile voicemail service by dialing ##004#.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I've used cheap old Androids which showed "missed calls". You click the little number on the little phone icon and get a summary/history of all the incoming calls you didn't answer. The notification bar on the top of the screen does the same thing, it'll even playback any voicemails the caller(s) left if you click on the number(s).

I would expect fancy premium iPhones to do all the same things. It's just software.

And the CRTC bans all consumer apps/services which provide extended Caller ID functions. Things like TrapCall and TrueCall won't work (at least not as properly intended) in Canada.

So what does this "WhoCalled service" actually do?

Screenshot_20211219-222255_Outlook.jpg

@SahotaCC  oh, well that brings up a good question.  Do you EVER receive calls when you are in your room then?

If you don't,  maybe it is a signal issue. 

Try manually forcing your mobile connection network to 3G only (temporarily), and see it calls come through this way.

SahotaCC

No it couldn’t be the wrong number because like I said I got a missed voice mail message from work right and settings look good. It must be a dead zone in my room which doesn’t make sense but somehow a network / signal loss issue 

Thanks for your help!

SahotaCC

How do I activate the feature bud?

Cheers!

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

And on a kind of related note also, I use a service called Vxt for free visual voicemail which comes in handy for missed calls provided they leave a message, of course, alternatively there is also Youmail if you want added spam call protection etc, but since my device has it built-in I don't need the added features.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SahotaCC 

Not a service currently available as others already posted....but, I think the main issue IS, why DIDN't you get a 'missed call alert'?

Ensure you can receive calls from this number you missed, first.

IF not, can you check your device's settings to ensure this contact is not blocked. OR, see if your settings are set to receive calls from those contacts only on your contact list?

Is it possible your worked call the wrong number when calling you?

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

I noticed in settings that my iPhone has a missed call notification. Would that work for you?

The missed call text message notifications sent by some carriers are only sent to a customer who was called if the phone didn't ring, or as I said earlier and a voice message wasn't left for the person. If a phone didn't ring because it was turned off, in airplane mode, or otherwise didn't have signal (or there was a network issue), the phone would have no way of informing the customer of that.  The phone would have no idea that someone tried to call.

I noticed in settings that my iPhone has a missed call notification. Would that work for you?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

is WhoCalled still offered by other providers?  I know it was on Rogers and Fido, but I thought they killed it. .did they?

and it never offered on Telus or Koodo, right?

@SahotaCC wrote:

Will PM offer the WhoCalled feature anytime soon?

Thanks, any help is appreciated AND has this ever happened to anyone else where they get a voice mail message but NOT a missed call from that person or work; in my case?

I only know of Rogers, Fido, and Freedom who send a text message informing the customer of a missed phone call. However, even if Public Mobiile were to implement, this wouldn't help.  By design, these missed call text message alerts do not get sent to a customer who receives a vocie message.  These are only supposed be sent if a call was missed by the caller didn't leave a voice message.  Rogers received much criticism about this years ago when many customers complained about received text messages about phone calls that they already knew about, so much so, that customers were contacting customer service requesting that the option be disabled.

@SahotaCC 

Public mobile is a low cost, no frills type of mobile company.  I doubt that it will offer WhoCalled service anytime soon.  

To keep costs low, Public mobile does not have any extras like call centres, Wifi calling, eSim, etc.  

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Likely not as PM is a budget minded carrier, most if not all premium features are held for the top tier. (TELUS) The budget carriers like Koodo and PM get less features. TELUS is the parent company of PM and Koodo.

Need Help? Let's chat.