cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Great Deal"

I noticed that Public Mobile is selling the certified pre-owned version of the Samsung Galaxy A12 for $199 wtih a "great deal" banner over top the picture of the device.  Samsung Canada will sell this brand new to anyone for $209.99, as will many retailer as this looks to be the suggested retail price.  I think that Public Mobile can do much better than $199, and I don't think that many will be sold unless the price gets substantially adjusted.

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It just goes to show that you should always look around rather than blindly accepting what one particular retailer tells you is a good deal.  Thanks for the heads-up, @computergeek541 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Got it, @computergeek541 

I wasn't trying to sell you on it, just sharing my experience.  

I, too, wouldn't likely purchase the one you're referencing with such a flimsy discount, even if it WAS just an open box item.

..for only $10 difference, I wouldn't take the risk.  Although the PM warranty  is good, 1 year, I still rather take the original manufacturer warranty..

@HALIMACS wrote:

@computergeek541

The condition of the one displaying at $199 is listed as "like new", which means it's basically an open box item which may not have even been used.  

If the condition were just listed as "very good", I suspect the price would be more in the $150 range.

Also, as you know, public mobile  throws in the free SIM card which is worth a few extra bucks. (small detail, but something)

Last year, I acquired a device which was listed only in "very good" condition, and I can say it was in surprisingly good condition for the lowest grading.   With that, I can only surmise that their "like new" condition must be as described. 

Here's their levels of descriptions:

Like-new:
Someone opened the box on these phones and then changed their mind: it’s as close to perfect as you can get with a pre-owned phone.

A retailer or cell phone carrier has no way to know how much the customer played around or used the device, only that it looks to be in what they consider to be like-new condition.  I know that the carrier can check network usage, but that doesn't really work any more becauuse these devices are unlocked and could have been used at a different carrier. It also doesn't say how long or how much someone has used the device on Wi-Fi.  With the thelp of cell phone cases and screen protectors, I've had devices, as long as the body of the device wassn't made out of some type of glossy material, look to be in what anyone would consider to be in like-new cosmetic condition after a full year of use.

There will also be some devices that might have defects that are not noticed by the quality check process. I'm fully aware that the device can be returned within 30 days, but going this route to save $10.99, in my opinion, would be a poor purchase choice.  The discount being given even if this were simply open-box - which it isn't - as original packaging have been discarded for this pre-owned device barely comes out to 5%.  In return, the customer loses original packaging, documentation, and manufacturer's warranty.  I don't know of a single retailer who would only provide a roughly 5% discount for an open box product, never mind one that may have actually been used for a short period of time.

Would I consider a certified pre-owed device from Public Mobile?  Yes, I would consider the purchased of one of these device but the price would have to reflect that the device isn't new. In my opniion, this CPO Samsung Galaxy A12 just isn't priced well.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541

The condition of the one displaying at $199 is listed as "like new", which means it's basically an open box item which may not have even been used.  

If the condition were just listed as "very good", I suspect the price would be more in the $150 range.

Also, as you know, public mobile  throws in the free SIM card which is worth a few extra bucks. (small detail, but something)

Last year, I acquired a device which was listed only in "very good" condition, and I can say it was in surprisingly good condition for the lowest grading.   With that, I can only surmise that their "like new" condition must be as described. 

Here's their levels of descriptions:

Like-new:
Someone opened the box on these phones and then changed their mind: it’s as close to perfect as you can get with a pre-owned phone.

Great:
These phones are just a couple of nicks and scuffs shy of perfect, but have passed all inspections and are the best opportunity for a great phone on a budget.

Very Good:
These phones were well loved by someone - and now they’re ready for someone new! We took care of the buffing and cleaning, and while they may still have bumps and scratches they work perfectly well

Good thing you explained that for people that can't subtract or are bad at math. 🤔

softech
Oracle
Oracle

$10 more and you get a brand new instead of CPO.. 🤔

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They also added the ZTE Cymbal 2 flip phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.