cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't send or receive messages on Whatsapp

Engel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Whatsapp stopped and now I have a message on my Samsung Android system  to "Sign in to network TELUS"   First the message was  "Sign in to your network Public Mobile"  now it's Telus. 

How do I do that?   Everything else works on the phone except Whatsapp.  Do I need to purchase more DATA, or is there a quick fix?

Does anyone know how to help me? 

8 REPLIES 8

Engel

Samsung Galaxy J3 

It sounds like you have used up your data and have WiFi off on your phone. To check your available data (and potentially add an add-on or change your plan) go into your account, following @esjliv's instructions.

I use (trusted) WiFi for WhatsApp (and any other apps) whenever possible. I have also restricted / turned off any unnecessary background data use, including "WiFi assist" (or similarly called). The simplest way to save data is keeping your data connection off unless you need it.

No wifi? No cell data option? That's why you can't run WhatsApp. It needs an internet connection.

What make and model phone are you using?

Engel

I don't have internet on my phone. My phone plan is for 2GB 

As already asked, can your phone browse the internet using whatever browser and using your cell plan data (not wifi)? Do all your other apps that use the internet work on your cell plan data (not wifi)?

All of those apps certainly should be able to do all they need to do on wifi. That would not force you to need cell data.

Engel

Thank you for your quick reply.  Yes, I can still use my phone for texting and calling but not on WhatsApp.  I thought I could use it off my WIFI. So the solution is to buy more data just to use WhatsApp, is that correct?

And no, I can't down load anything. Just send messages and call.     But why is there this  message on my phone   to sign in to network Public Mobile, is it to get more DATA?  I can't get rid of the message keeps coming back.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Engel - Whatsapp works on wifi or with data, so the only thing your Public Mobile plan really has any connection to is if there is Data left on your plan cycle.

Can you log into My Account : https://telusidentity.telus.com/as/authorization.oauth2?response_type=code&client_id=cc26d3b9-3370-4...

And check what the most up to date information is? Make sure to click the circle arrow thingy for updated info.

esjliv_0-1675256565571.png

When you say everything else works, do you mean calling and texting?

What about other online sites, can you load those up? If not, then you are likely out of data. OR, check to see if your phone has a data limiter set on it. If so adjust it or turn if off.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Engel 

Is your data working for other apps?  For Whatsapp, you need either data or Wifi.  Check your self servcie account to see whether you still have data left in your plan for this cycle.  

Need Help? Let's chat.