cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer esim to new phone

frcraig
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My iPhone 14 Max Pro has a Public Mobile esim.  I've purchased a Samsung Galaxy S24+ which can also use an esim.  How do I transfer the esim to my new phone?

7 REPLIES 7

@Keithm0000   iOS gives you the option to transfer eSIM from your old phone to new phone during set up.

While ios to ios is supposed to be able to do this my understanding is that it doesn't currently work with Public Mobile esims.

frcraig

It is the Canadian S24+ and it can use a physical SIM or an eSIM. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@frcraig 

Is this an American Samsung S24+?Because my Canadian S24 have SIM and eSIM.

HI @frcraig 

yes, you will get to keep the phone number that way

frcraig

Thank you for your reply. I assume that this method will allow me to keep my existing Public Mobile phone number?

Keithm0000

While you are right about iOS to android transfers needing a new eSIM generated, if your iOS based wiping the device or upgrading is super easy! iOS gives you the option to transfer eSIM from your old phone to new phone during set up. Also when you go to reset your iPhone it’ll ask you if you’d like to save your eSIM or delete it. If you choose to keep it, iPhone saves the details and resets the phone then restores the eSIM before set up again! 
-just in case someone else stumbles upon this in the future looking for help! 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@frcraig 

For eSIM with new phone, you have to re-buy a new one for $5.  
Yes,  while eSIM is "cool", there are disadvantages as well.  For eSIM, if you have a new phone, or if you ever wipe your phone, you will have to re-buy a new eSIM again.   There is no such problem with Physical sim card.

To rebuy new eSIM, First, download the app on your new phone, click   or    at the bottom left to bring up the menu and go to Subscription & Add-on page, scroll down to the bottom and click Shop SIM Card Now.  You can buy and install eSIM from there

Need Help? Let's chat.