cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to receive SMS message and make phone call when travel to Europe

Trikenstein
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Using a $35 plan. If I travel to Europe. For some online operations, I use multi factor authentication which send an SMS message to my phone.

How to receive that SMS message? And possibly making phone conversation as well incoming/outgoing calls while I am in Europe.

I tried to look at the add-ones but it seems roaming is possible only in USA. Is there any possible solution for Europe?

Thanks for any help

11 REPLIES 11

@Guspublic1 wrote:

It might be cheaper to buy a local european sim package. But what if you want call forward for bank authentication etc in europe? How can ine do that when PublicMobile is your main phone?

Public Mobile phone only allows your number to be forwarded to another Canaidan phone number.

Guspublic1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It might be cheaper to buy a local european sim package. But what if you want call forward for bank authentication etc in europe? How can ine do that when PublicMobile is your main phone?

@Trikenstein  wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Unfortunately, PM do not offer any add-ons for roaming outside of NA. Your best option is to leave the phone at home and tell someone to keep charging. Set your calling feature to call forward to a new number you will use in Europe. You won't be able to see any text messages while in Europe. 

EDIT: Now that I said that, I wonder if call forwarding will work and if there would be any LD charges?

My main need is for authentication. Services or people needs to communicate with me through that PubMobile number only. Otherwise if this is just for talking, texting I can just borrow a local phone, buy local SIM, or just just a messaging app.

In that case, you can use services such as MightyText (Android only) to send and receive texts through web browser. You will have to leave your PM sim at home and inserted in any working phone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trikenstein 

then purchase in Europe local prepaid SIM card, or from 

Amazon.ca : prepaid europe sim card

@Trikenstein wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Unfortunately, PM do not offer any add-ons for roaming outside of NA. Your best option is to leave the phone at home and tell someone to keep charging. Set your calling feature to call forward to a new number you will use in Europe. You won't be able to see any text messages while in Europe. 

EDIT: Now that I said that, I wonder if call forwarding will work and if there would be any LD charges?

My main need is for authentication. Services or people needs to communicate with me through that PubMobile number only. Otherwise if this is just for talking, texting I can just borrow a local phone, buy local SIM, or just just a messaging app.

@Trikenstein 

Your Public Mobile number will not be usable in any country other than the USA with a Roaming package.

Could you not acquire a new number in Europe (local pre-paid SIM purchase?) and inform the providers of the new 'temporary' number for authentication purposes while there?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Trikenstein wrote:

Hi,

Using a $35 plan. If I travel to Europe. For some online operations, I use multi factor authentication which send an SMS message to my phone.

How to receive that SMS message? And possibly making phone conversation as well incoming/outgoing calls while I am in Europe.

I tried to look at the add-ones but it seems roaming is possible only in USA. Is there any possible solution for Europe?

Thanks for any help

Take a look at voip.ms. You can call and text with them. And they have voicemail that you can also forward to your email. I was not into texting....but as a lead only.....take a look.

You need wifi or data and I use an app on my iPhone called Zoiper. There is an android version too. 

Can PM calls and texts be forwarded? 

If that would work since all inbound is included.....you could go down to the $15 plan temporarily. You can also with voip.ms make your caller ID as the real number from voip.ms or your PM number. 

Trikenstein

@NDesai wrote:

Trikenstein
i suggest you to use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

This may solve the SMS and voice need.Which in reality, there is an easy workaround by using any messaging app.

The important constraint, which is not clearly clarified in my initial post, is that I must use my phone number for authentication purpose. I don't feel comfortable to switch temporarily to a free number for this purpose.

There are still services which still offer SMS as the only option for multi factor authentication.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trikenstein 

at public mobile only service to US Roaming... not have to Europe..

anywhere has Wi-Fi Free

i suggest you to use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

enjoy your trip....

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Trikenstein Unfortunately, PM do not offer any add-ons for roaming outside of NA. Your best option is to leave the phone at home and tell someone to keep charging. Set your calling feature to call forward to a new number you will use in Europe. You won't be able to see any text messages while in Europe. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Trikenstein wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for any help

Public Mobile service is not usable in any country other than Canada or USA with an add-on. Sorry.

Need Help? Let's chat.