cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Auto-pay a Pre-Authorized Debit (and/or Online Bill Payment)?

jianlin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need to do pre-authorized debits (and/or online bill payments)of the CIBC Smart account instead of a credit card to get a bonus for my new bank account from CIBC.

Info from CIBC:

Pre-authorized debits

A pre-authorized debit is when you give a merchant or service provider your transit and account number to set up a recurring bill, loan or mortgage payment. If you give them your CIBC Advantage Debit Card® information, this is a Visa* Debit transaction, not a pre-authorized debit.

Online Bill Payments

Online bill payments to a service provider through Online Banking or Mobile Banking (A payment from your account to a CIBC credit card or Personal Line of Credit does not qualify as a bill payment).

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/ways-to-bank/how-to/pay-a-bill.html

7 REPLIES 7

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@jianlin wrote:

I need to do pre-authorized debits (and/or online bill payments)of the CIBC Smart account instead of a credit card to get a bonus for my new bank account from CIBC.

Based on my understanding of these sort of banking rewards, prepaid services are not accepted.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Like most here, you can use a VISA debit card from your financial institution. Or you could use a prepaid, reloadable credit card like Koho, WS Cash card, Wise, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jianlin : Public Mobile doesn't work that way. It's what I call a pull transaction. This end pulls the money from the pre-registered card. The pre-authorized payments or even manual bill payments are a push from the institution. Let alone the problem of a floating payment date for pre-authorized.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@jianlin 

Public Mobile only accepts Canadian-issued credit cards and certain credit card supplier debit cards.

See the article below:

Register your payment card (publicmobile.ca)

EDIT:   like has already been replied above... oops  😐

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jianlin wrote:

CIBC Advantage Debit Card® information, this is a Visa* Debit transaction, not a pre-authorized debit.

CIBC debit card will work for the pre-authorized payment as described above that CIBC debit card are VISA debits.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@jianlin   PM does not really use Pre-authorize debit from bank accounts  You have to add credit card or visa debit

We accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) and Visa Debit cards that have been issued by Canadian or American financial institutions and are associated with addresses in Canada or the U.S. If you are using a payment card, leave the apartment/suite number in the payment information section blank.

Need Help? Let's chat.