cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to activate physical sim on new phone if old phone has esim

Mitty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a new phone and I'm having a hard time activating a physical sim card. My old phone is using esim.

3 REPLIES 3

Mitty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you I managed to activate the physical SIM card. Lost my esim in the process but that's ok. 

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The form factor of the SIM (eSIM, 1FF SIM card, 2FF Mini-SIM card, 3FF Micro-SIM card, 4FF Nano-SIM card, whatever) doesn't matter. The IMSI, ICCID, Ki, IIN, and other data which are encoded or stored on it are what matters. And compatibility with your phone matters.

Regardless of the form factor, only one active SIM can be linked to each subscriber account. If you activate one then it becomes your new SIM and deactivates your old SIM, even if one is a physical card and the other is an embedded circuit. Deactivated SIMs can never be used again, they are irrevocably terminated on the network databases and at best can only be used to "fill the slot" on phones so they can turn on and make Emergency calls.

Public Mobile SIM cards come with "triple-punch" plastic spacers which size them up or down between Mini-, Micro-, and Nano- form factors. They are compatible with essentially every smartphone sold in the Canadian market for the last couple decades.

At Public Mobile there are no charges or fees for activating, deactivating, switching SIMs. There is a cost for the SIMs themselves. I've seen PM eSIMs cost $0, $5, $10, $15, $20 - I think the base price is now $10 and lower costs are attached to promos - their main advantage (with compatible devices) is immediate impatient lazy convenience. While PM SIM cards cost $10 and sometimes go on sale for $5 - they can be ported from device to device without restriction and are therefore superior in my opinion - the downside is that physical shipping which costs the customer nothing extra but can take days or weeks or many weeks to arrive.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Mitty 

so, you got a new phone and try to use a physical sim on it instead of eSIM?

First, the physical sim is brand new and never used before, right?

Login to My Account, go to Profile page, click on the pencil beside SIM card number and update the number for your new Physical sim:

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/change-sim-numberhttps://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/change-sim-number

Need Help? Let's chat.