cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much data is necessary for traveling for 8 days?

KPCowBay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! I'm looking for advice. I have a plan with 3 gb of data and will be in Mexico for 8 days. I'm pretty careful and don't 'surf' the internet while out and about but will rely on data for searching restaurants/tours/directions etc while exploring.

Question:  do you advise extra data for this time or do you feel that 3 GB will cover it (I do most of my researching in wifi zones)

Thanks in advance for your help!

8 REPLIES 8

KPCowBay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you - great idea!

@HALIMACS- Finally! Jeez step away to do some chores and catch up and seeing all the previous replies. I jumped to the same thought as others and then thought well they're just asking about data usage. I kept reading and finally your reply.

Hopefully that's what the OP was actually asking 🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@KPCowBay 

It's very difficult to say how much data you may require while traveling in Mexico.

As far as directions, you could download various Google maps for offline use while there.

Just select the vicinity / areas you will be traveling under Google Maps for offline use and you will be able to utilize those maps without a Wi-Fi or data connection when you're down there.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@KPCowBay 

Here is a rundown on the basics of getting a local Sim card in Mexico. At most it will cost about $10. That's the average cost of a 30 day plan with unlimited text, calls and 3GB of data. But they have many offerings from 1, 3, 7, 8, 10, 15 and 30 day plans.

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-mexico/

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@KPCowBay 

You will need to pickup a local SIM in Mexico as their are no PM add-on service in  Mexico.

You can use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free wifi calling and texting in Mexico.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@KPCowBay 

You cannot use your plan in Mexico. Nor does pm offer roaming add ons for Mexico. You will have to look into purchasing a local Sim card for use of mobile services while traveling.

Edit: 

You can download textnow and call forward your pm number to it (Choose a Canadian textnow phone #) and use it for free on wifi to call and text or on mobile data. What's app is also a very common way to communicate in Mexico.....basically everyone uses it both business and private individuals.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@KPCowBay 

Sorry you can't use your regular data for roaming.

PM only has roaming in USA and Canada.

While in Mexico, you'll have to get a local sim card with data or just use wifi.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@KPCowBay @That depends on your data usage , it’s tough to predict what someone else will need

edit pm won’t work in Mexico your best to get a local sim for the duration of your trip 

Need Help? Let's chat.