cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for a phone number that has expired to be put back into the available numbers

Vasko
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey!

I was just wondering how long it take for a phone number to be available again after it is no longer active (ie. it was abandoned)? 

cheers

5 REPLIES 5

Indigo_19

Hi, were you able to get back same number? Am in the same boat with Shaw. Spoke to Shaw moderator and they say they can't say when it will be back in available pool

Vasko

Thanks for all your advice!  You have been super helpful.

I am in the Toronto area, so I guess I will try and chat to a moderator.  

Thanks again!

scoalegil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Again, this can change and it varies but I would guess that you'd be safe to try for the previous number after 90 days. I am not sure how easy it would be to get it yourself, and you'd have to stay on top of it to avoid seeing it go to someone else. 

It also varies by area code, if you're out here in Nova Scotia like me, the odds of it going back into circulation quickly are lower but the odds of it going to someone else before you get to it are lower too. If you're in Toronto or a much larger market the demand is higher and so it is a much more challenging issue. 

You might want to reach out to a moderator for more specific answers on this one if you're hoping to get a number back that you let expire (especially if you're sticking with Public Mobile)

Vasko

Thanks for the reply.  How about public mobile? Any idea the length of time with them?

scoalegil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This depends on a number of factors. The issuing company in certain circumstances can keep the number and recycle it for their customers, so it doesn't necessarily become available to other carriers, etc.

That said, companies can't recycle numbers until the number has been deactivated for 90 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.