cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot tethering not working

Razor100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife and I both have CAN-US 60 GB plans and this morning we both suddenly are unable to access the internet on our 2 laptops and tablet using any of our 3 Samsung phones tethering or hotspot settings. While the laptops and tablet can connect to the phones there is no access to the internet.
We both use tethering and hotspot extensively and this has not been a issue in the past. We are able access internet directly on our phones. I have reviewed support documentation and our settings and did not find a resolution. Given so many devices are experiencing the same symptoms it would suggest it is not a hardware issue at our end. We look forward to any suggestions to help us resolve this issue. Your assistance is much appreciated.

26 REPLIES 26

thiccrat_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

funny, i had this problem before but only briefly. this got me so stressed, i tried everything i could think of! anyway, at this time i just checked again and it seems to work again, finally. if it keeps working we should be fine now. but good reference for later problems like this. its always good to make a post if you have a problem and see if its a widespread issue. i definitely felt much better knowing i wasnt the only one.

Amped
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You were able to edit the existing APN?  Nice!  I couldn't edit my default ones so that's why I created a new one.

Petesdude

Thanks amped all i had to do was remove the i from the isp.mb.com and it worked! Now I can play Fortnite.

NM13

I'm thinking the same. They need to address this issue with urgency and not just keep everyone in the dark

AaronRobillard

Thank you so much! That did it. 

AaronRobillard

@Tiana_V A CS support worker named Alex just told me 'Let's please wait 48 hours and then restart the phone and test it again, thank you.'.  What kind of BS is this? Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? 

Razor100

Thank you Tiana for your response. I value your assistance and look forward to hearing from the PM techincal team.

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hi @Razor100 Thanks for flagging this issue. We've looped in our technical team and they are investigating the issue. We'll provide more details when we have them.

Amped
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can't edit the default apn settings, but you can create a new apn.  Copy all of the settings from the default apn and under type add: ,dun  I did this and hotspot works again for me.

Razor100

Thanks. I have sent my  sent in my service request.

If anyone wants to contact customer service about this, private message using this link..

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

The reply will come to your community inbox (envelope top right or click on avatar for Messages)

Razor100

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunatley this is not the case in my situation. It appears others are experiencing the issues I described. May be a larger PM system issue as opposed to a local hardware configuration.

RCAF_retired

My Samsung  recently took an update and my data limit turned on preventing my laptop from getting data from my hot spot.

Solution :Navigate to and open Settings, and then tap Connection , Tap Data usage, Tap Data saver, select OFF

•  

•  

•  

• Tap Data usage, tap Data saver, and then tap the switch next to Turn off

•  

•  

• Tap Data usage, tap Data saver, and then tap the switch next to Turn OFF now.

Lee09

If this doesn’t get resolved soon, I’ll have to cancel my subscription and move to a different provider, very sh !t ty of them to just turn off hotspot feature like that.

Hi @Phil_Adelphus not good, I can't access hotspot too

@Razor100   One could send a private message to customer service but perhaps the Oracles are able to alert PM @softech  ?

Anthem2023

I am not sure. I hope they monitor the forums.  I am going to give them a few hours then I will create a ticket.

Razor100

Thanks for checking. Do you have suggestions on how we might escalate the issue with PM support. I am relatively new to the PM community.

Anthem2023

I am having the same issue. My phone has internet and is broadcasting a hotspot, but any device connected to that hotspot indicates "no internet ".

This issue started last night (Dec 01 2023) which coincides with Public Mobile going down for system maintenance. 

I think the issue is on Public Mobile side and not our phone.  The hotspot was working perfectly till last night.

I hope they address this issue.

Razor100

Thanks for your input. I have tried your suggestions with no success. I suspect this not an isolated issue. Others appear to experiencing similar problems.

@softech   That's what I'm afraid of!   My iPad was able to connect to the iPhone hotspot just fine but couldn't go anywhere.

hi @Phil_Adelphus thanks for testing. I hope it wasn't last night maintenance that changed things

Razor100

Thanks for the suggestions.

The phones can use internet but the three devices cannot access the internet. I have reset the phones network all networks with no success. The APN includes the "dun". I do not appear able to edit the APN settings. It is odd that it is happening on 2 PM accounts on 3 phones.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@softech  @Handy1   Since this is the second post like this I've seen today I tested my iPhone and the hotspot is not working here either.  Data is fine on the phone itself.  For some reason the hotspot has set itself to low data mode despite the data setting being checked for standard but it doesn't seem to be working at all.  Have you tried your hotspots? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Razor100 the phone able to use internet without issue?? just internet on hotspot a problem??

if phone can't even use internet, try Reset All Networks and login My Account and confirm any data left

if phone can get internet and just not hotspot, check APN settings again, the DUN line below is important 

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Razor100  You can try rebooting the phone or reset network settings see if they helps at all and finally make sure your not out of data 

Try again incognito/private mode

And or lap top /computer

OR

simply try refreshing the page to check data plan / mins / add ons

Handy1_0-1701533600500.jpeg

For most up to date account info

Need Help? Let's chat.