cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Transpher Sim Card to my new iPhone 13 failed to work

WillRan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I Have a new iPhone 13 and I placed my old sim card in it.

Cant use the data or accept calls when not connected to the wifi.

It says it is connected to public Mobile but no apps or messaging works unless I'm connected to my wifi.

58 REPLIES 58

WillRan

I certainly have learned from this. I also have become more astute with my iPhone...like loading IOS files from iTunes.. finding websites that carry the IOS files to upgrade or downgrade with. Thanks again softech! I really liked Public Mobile and this forum is the best.

@WillRan wrote:

I did the above. Downgrading to 15.3 works but then I can't use the backup from my 15.4. not compatible. I would have to start from scratch. Not wanting to do that. I've spent too much time as it is trying to solve this. So I've switched carriers. I have no issues now and everything works as it should. Thanks, softech! I really appreciate you trying to solve this for me.

You switched away?  oh no

Yes, the backup you did when you are in beta is good for beta only

what people suggested is always make a backup before you try beta.

anyway... at least you are good now  🙂

WillRan

I did the above. Downgrading to 15.3 works but then I can't use the backup from my 15.4. not compatible. I would have to start from scratch. Not wanting to do that. I've spent too much time as it is trying to solve this. So I've switched carriers. I have no issues now and everything works as it should. Thanks, softech! I really appreciate you trying to solve this for me.

@WillRan   You got it?  give us the good news...  🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@WillRan 

did you have any backup done before you jumped into Beta? like from iOS 14? 

Look like If you want to immediately downgrade from the iOS 15 beta (public or developer), you’ll need to erase and restore your iPhone.  With this, you won’t be able to restore from a backup done on iOS 15 when going back to iOS 14. So, you will need to restore from a previous iOS 14 backup.

Before you do so, back up all the important things first, like photos , video , app settings etc

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WillRan wrote:

I really appreciate all this help...but I'm going to have to reevaluate my options. I really need my phone to be fully functional. I also can't erase everything and start over. Too much of my life is on this phone. I'm stuck with IOS 15.4

I didn't read every post/response of yours, but based on the few that I read, I think this post could get things on track for you.  It'll reset your network settings, so you'll have to re-establish your WiFi credentials, but it'll at least get rid of the blockers that most iPhone users encounter (especially if you were ever on Wind/Freedom, or you've ever installed a VPN).

CalgaryBen

@softech wrote:

You cannot set APN on iOS?  no wonder I am still on Android. LoL

Well, you can't through the UI.  I think Apple is protecting 99.9% of the users out there who would have no need to change the APN, and if they did, it would only cause grief.  If you need to set the APN, usually it's done through corporate policy/configuration tools that a company's IT department would use, and pushed to the iPhone/iPad.  The unlockit site that I mentioned in this post basically provides a way to download/install a policy/configuration that essentially sets the APN.

Having said that, people using a device like an iPad do have the option to set the APN, as that is a use case where setting the APN does have a very common/real use case (e.g. a corporation may need their iPads to be on a pool of IP addresses that their corporate back office/VPN can access, or perhaps they have custom applications that require a public and/or static IP address, etc.).

@softech wrote:

@CalgaryBen   Again, thanks very much for dropping by.  You need to be here more often to help our iPhone users here  🙂

That's why I wrote up all those articles I keep linking/referencing -- I was trying to obsolete myself!  They probably cover 95% of the recurring questions from iPhone users.

We cannot set APN on iOS?  no wonder I am still on Android. LoL

@CalgaryBen   Again, thanks very much for dropping by.  You need to be here more often to help our iPhone users here  🙂

CalgaryBen

@softech wrote:

@CalgaryBen  can you assist @WillRan  to create a new APN for PM?  Look like he has a Telus APN now, it says  isp.telus.com

TL;DR, but you can't really create/set the APN on an iPhone nowadays.  It's all configured through the Carrier Profile.  Ensure that the latest is loaded.  Also make sure there isn't a VPN profile that's blocking things.  If you think you're setting the APN (from Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network > APN), you're likely not -- the setting that's available in the UI is for tethering, and not the phone's lo....  You'll notice the heading for this APN setting is "PERSONAL HOTSPOT".  It's a silly place for the setting to reside, and Apple should really put it under Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot, but I digress.  I described a couple ways to see what APN and IP address the phone is using in this post.  Generally the IPv6 field will be blank, unless things have changed since I wrote up that article.

I know on iPads (with SIM card support) will often show the TELUS APN as above (as I described in this post); I hadn't seen that happen on an iPhone before (or if I have, I don't remember), but if it's showing up under "Personal Hotspot", then again, it's an APN for tethering only, and won't make a difference for the iPhone itself having data.

Thanks @WillRan   we are hoping to find a way to get you stay on 15.4  .. and stay with PM .  Hope that would work.  Again, thanks for your help.  You could save many users from downgrading their iOS  🙂

WillRan

I might..at first glance it looks like a lot to do. But I will dive deeper into it later on tonight when I have the chance to really focus on it. I have to say this is an amazing forum!! Thanks again for helping me to try to fix this glitch.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillRan : Would you be comfortable going through the steps in this post ?

Edit: ...and changing things from IPv6 to IPv4?

WillRan

I really appreciate all this help...but I'm going to have to reevaluate my options. I really need my phone to be fully functional. I also can't erase everything and start over. Too much of my life is on this phone. I'm stuck with IOS 15.4

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was great of you to come back when tagged @WillRan. We're trying to figure out how to possibly get to these deeper settings. I'm not an Apple guy so I have no clue. In another thread, an Apple guy didn't have any more info. I wonder about my tagging yet another Apple guy so we'll see.

@WillRan  the other 2 lines are useful too 

@CalgaryBen  can you assist @WillRan  to create a new APN for PM?  Look like he has a Telus APN now, it says  isp.telus.com

Also, @Anonymous and I wonder if we need to change the entry to APN protocol:  IPv4   

If that works, hopefully no more downgrade needed

WillRan

I edited the APN...to sp.mb.com. I wasn't given any options for the rest of the info you sent me. I rebooted and it is still the same.

Thanks @Anonymous .. my mistake could really KILL the data.. LoL.. thanks

WillRan

no

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Kill the 3) .

@WillRan   is there Add new choice?

WillRan

my apn is isp.telus.com and I can edit it

For APN settings, 

you can view your APN settings in one of the following locations:

• Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
  • Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network

then see  if you can Edit

WillRan

how do I do that?

@WillRan   you want to try 2 things?

1.do a Network Refresh

2. Can you confirm if the current APN settings has this entries

APN protocol:  IPv4/IPv6  

if so, can you change to just IPv4?  probably need to toggle Mobile Data after or even reboot

WillRan

No, it never let me downgrade and it's still messed up. I can use it for the phone and receive texts but not Imessage when I'm not on wifi. Apps cant be used either when I'm not on wifi. I even tried to downgrade to 15.3 but that was a bust because I cant use my backup to restore all my stuff after. Can only do that with 15.4

@WillRan   are you all good now? downgraded?

wonder if you can try something if you are still on iOS 15.4 beta

WillRan

Do you mean a software update? i don't see a system update.

WillRan

Cant text either unless I'm connected to the wifi

WillRan

I can make and receive calls...just can't get emails or apps to work if I'm not connected to the wifi

Need Help? Let's chat.