cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Public Mobile has assigned my number to someone else

porterror
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a former Public Mobile (Telus) user.  I have ported out at least 5 years ago. 

A couple days ago, my number was allocated to someone else.  They have told me that they are using Public Mobile.  I am receiving some texts and some phone calls.  The other times, it is going to the other person.

This is not the first time it has happened.  The other times it has been Koodo (Telus) that is assigning my number to someone else.

It is similar to the issue - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tsahai-carter-toronto-freedom-mobile-shaw-communications-1.61...

Can I get some help in resolving this? The other party does not seem as interested as me in getting this resolved.

19 REPLIES 19

ihanrathpester
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So this is happening to me for the second time. First time I was actually contacted by a local provider that they had used my number (they pull their new numbers from a Bell pool) The way I found out it that I texted a family member who always replies and when she didn't, I called her. Her replies went to the other person. We had to both delete our contact info and re-create it. This was several months ago.

Yesterday I texted another family member and the same thing happened. He received texts back from another person who had received my number that day! This time I can't seem to find the company responsible. I assume my number was in a pool as available! Very frustrating.

Natsu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Similar to the problem described here, maybe?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rogers-shaw-freedom-fido-mobile-phone-text-1.5321774

It seems phone companies do not want to believe that assigning an active number to a second person can happen.

@CountyDownIeUk I believe OP still get incoming calls and outgoing calls as usual. 

remember you saw those posts about new activation saying they picked a new number?  The person (Person B) activated a new line, tested incoming calls  and someone (Person A)  picked up  the call and  told Person B that he (Person A) owns that number from long time ago.    I think it is the same case and OP is the Person A in this case 

OP never really lost that number, just that Telus/PM "assigned" an already owned number to a new activation.  Again the number never really changed hand. 

@softech wrote:

@porterror

this is not something your current carrier can help as it was PM who assigned the number to its new customer. 

But you didn't really loss your number, just that the new customer who thought he got your number would never able to receive incoming calls, and you will get all his calls and texts

sound like you already opened ticket with Support, so, just need to wait for their reply (please check Community inbox). and hope they will get this soeted out 

@softech  Really....not sure that is correct. @porterror has a carrier that may have ported his number to a PM customer. So @porterrorshould  be  asking his carrier where his number is. 

porterror

Thanks.  Everytime I call, they think I'm crazy and that this can't happen.  It's getting a bit frustrating.

porterror

It was originally a Rogers number.

porterror

Thanks.  They are wanting my old PM account number which I don't have since it's been so long.  My next resort is a complaint to the CCTS.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@porterror

this is not something your current carrier can help as it was PM who assigned the number to its new customer. 

But you didn't really loss your number, just that the new customer who thought he got your number would never able to receive incoming calls, and you will get all his calls and texts

sound like you already opened ticket with Support, so, just need to wait for their reply (please check Community inbox). and hope they will get this soeted out 

I understand @porterror 

I was suggesting that another person is being randomly assigned YOUR number, and if it's through a port process, that shouldn't be happening. 

Is the number originally a TELUS/Koodo assigned one?

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You could also talk to your corrent carrier and let them know the situation.  Tell them PM appears to have allocated your number to one of their customers and you're receiving some of their texts and calls.  Tell them PM is the other carrier and it's concerning because some of your texts and calls may be going to that other person.  

I would think they could rsolve this from the carrier side.  PM should contact the person that was allocated the number and let them know they need to be provisioned a new number because this was done in error.  You as a customer for your current carrier shouldn't have to sort this out with a customer from a different carrier.

Hope it works out for you!

hi @porterror yes, if the new customer not open ticket, PM would niy aware.  Open ticket and hope PM get this resolved quickly

so, it is not the first time?  just weird., this is some bugs on the Telus system and has been around for years and no one care to fix that

porterror

@hTideGnow I can send out text and call out but its hit and miss whether I get the text/call back.

The person just doesn't seem very interested in getting this resolved quickly, so I'm just taking it upon myself.  I'm not panicking ... it's not my first time and getting tired of it.

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have had your number for a long time how is it possible for it to go to someone else.  How did you solve this last time it happened?  I'm not sure I agree that you don't need to do anything because it's your number so I see you are not public mobile customer but I don't see why you can't contact the support agents and ask them to look into this for you.  It is very worrying I think for this to happen or keep happening.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @porterror so you have been using this number?

it happens. PM glitch, but no need to panic 

the new one will need to change number , not you

the new one will open ticket with PM, you don't need to do anything 

porterror

@statusquo Last time it happened was Sept 2022.  The other person was much better in communication and we got that resolved within a day.  However, I think my number remained in the pool of numbers that Telus could allocated out.

porterror

@HALIMACS it's not a port out.  It's a weird situation where both numbers are active and can send text/calls ... but only one person can receive the text/call.

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did you say this has happened before?  That is a terrible thing to happen to you or anyone though I don't understand how that would be possible with any mobile company.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Don't bother going to Public Mobile, @porterror 

Tell your current mobile service provider to NOT allow the number you are using to be ported elsewhere.

They cannot allow it to be ported without your approval.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@porterror @Ask support 

Getting help from agent

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get                       

Or get help right here in the community

• Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

Need Help? Let's chat.