cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to US - question about US add-on

miketyrent
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am heading to the US for a month in about a week. Does the US add on allow for calls from the US back to Canada,  or just within in the US to US numbers?

I also have 978 minutes left of "one-time Int'l LD bonus minutes. For those does a call need to originate in Canada?  Or could I call Canada from the US and it come out of the international minutes? Just trying to figure out options ahead so I don't rack up a bunch of long distance charges!

6 REPLIES 6

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I believe most of your question have been answered by others in the forum.

When travelling for < 1 month I use the PM US Add-on. I was in the USA just 2 weeks ago and had no issues making calls to Canada with the US Add-on. 

When travelling for > 1 month I have used Mint Mobile or Boost Mobile. Both offer convenient eSIMs.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Your long distance minutes do not come into play when roaming, you need a roaming add-on. And yes the roaming add on allows calling to the US and Canada.

HOWEVER, because Public Mobile doesn't have VoLTE and because the US has pretty much shut down their 3G network, i would not rely on your roaming add-on for calls in the US. If it works, bonus; but if you're looking for something reliable to make calls, this isn't it. Hopefully Public enables VoLTE soon and this will no longer be an issue. 

SMS and data roaming add-ons still work fine. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @miketyrent the roaming talk allows you to call US too

but you are going US for a month, it is much better and easier to buy local prepaid data from US.  Then download VoIP app, like TextNow, to make free calls.   Calls using VoIP app with data or wifi is more reliable than using roaming talk.  It is cheaper this way too

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@miketyrent 

Yes, the 15 day US roaming add on will allow you to call US and Canadian number while in the United States. 

The international minutes add ons is only when caller is in Canada. It will not work in the USA or other countries.  Don't worry, with Public mobile, there are no surprise charges.  If you don't have the particular add on or feature, it will not work.  

You should be aware that roaming talk in the USA is hit and miss these days due to the decommission of the 3G network in the USA. While roaming, PM talk service will depend on the 2G T mobile network in the USA.  Depending on where you are traveling, the service may be unreliable.  Data and text should be fine.  Some customers have just purchased Data and used VOIP service to use call. 

Here is some more information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@miketyrent wrote:

I am heading to the US for a month in about a week. Does the US add on allow for calls from the US back to Canada,  or just within in the US to US numbers?

With Roaming addons that you can purchase through My Account or by calling 611, yes you can call within USA and back to Canada.

I also have 978 minutes left of "one-time Int'l LD bonus minutes. For those does a call need to originate in Canada?  Or could I call Canada from the US and it come out of the international minutes? Just trying to figure out options ahead so I don't rack up a bunch of long distance charges!

You cannot use these addons, ONLY Roaming type addons whilst in USA for services. Incoming texts are the exception, these should work without any Roaming addons whilst in USA.

@miketyrent  see above

Note: Roaming addons last 15 days (360 hours), and starts from the point of you adding it onto your account.

Get Help Article for Roaming and things for reference:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming#:~:text=Troubleshooting%20U.S.%20Roam...

Public mobile talk is hit and miss these days because of the decommissioning of the 3G Network in the USA.  PM roaming talk depends on the 2G T mobile network which has unreliable coverage in the USA.  Data and text should work fine.  

You may want to consider a local SIM card if there for a month.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@miketyrent  Yes with US roaming while I the states you can call to Canada 

Adding  yes your international mins you have from more is merrier or reg add on mins are for calls made abroad while in Canada 

Need Help? Let's chat.