cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hawaii/USA travel with Public Mobile

Masterandy80
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, anyone ever travelled through Hawaii with the US roaming add-on? How's the coverage and reliability? It seems just about any reputable US SIM plan runs around the same cost as just buying the roaming add-on here, plus then I can keep my number, but that is pretty pointless if it doesn't work! Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Masterandy80 

The main issue currently with US Roaming is voice calling as it uses T-Mobile's 2G network (where available). Some states are better served than others and signal strength can be affected such as topography, structures etc....generally in the US connectivity to any network is better in urban and areas with higher population density than rural areas with low population.

Keep in mind mint mobile offers minimum 90 day plans. Here is more info on US Roaming....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Masterandy80

Oh interesting. I, of course, am staying in a condo and arriving in the middle of the night and need my phone to get going to the accoms. Thinking maybe if the PM roaming seems to work for folks in Hawaii, maybe I will buy that for 15 days and then get a lower-priced SIM in the US at my leisure. But I will get on the chat with Mint tomorrow and see if they have suggestions. Thanks folks!

@Masterandy80 

There's a community member here that has  the Mint Mobile sim card sent to their hotel prior to their arrival.

They then activate the sim card and plan, when they're in the USA.

They say it works really well, for them.

I had also got a US service that I gave them the address of the hotel I was going to be at and arranged with the hotel to accept it. Via ebay from Red Pocket Mobile.

Masterandy80

I was looking at Mint but the shipping section seems to only accept Zip codes so I am not sure how I would get a hold of one (my phone is not esim compatible). 

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Masterandy80 

Mint Mobile have cheap sim cards and plans.

Text Now is a free and popular VoIP service,  used with wifi.

Masterandy80

Awesome, thanks - I have seen some of the other topics about it on here - it is all very confusing haha. I will be in California as well and would need to have reliable coverage there, though I will be mostly using wifi areas for communication - mostly just want data for maps while I am running around (but I do have offline maps just in case!). I am not too fussed about calling really. If anyone has recommendations on in-country SIMs and/or VOIP setups, I am all ears

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Masterandy80

US roaming in Hawaii, has been reported as working, but YMMV maybe, depending on which island your on.

But it probably will work, most of the time.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Masterandy80  

and another comment regarding Hawaii coverage

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Purchased-data/m-p/906787/highlight/true#....

I’m actually in Honolulu area and it worked great! There’s a few spots on island that it didn’t work well such as the north shore,Waialua and Haleiwa very spotty areas but from airport all around Honolulu,Waikiki, Hawaii Kai it works beautiful.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Masterandy80   yes, Hawaii is part of the US roaming coverage

Some confirmed there is good coverage in West Maui

But keep in mind, if you need Voice roaming, roaming voice is using T-Mobile's 2G network, which might not work very well.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It all worked perfectly fine for me in West Maui. Turned off airplane mode at the airport and it worked right away.

Need Help? Let's chat.