cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hangout calls

Arvindman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello wonderful people here,

I am on $15 plan with 100 min Canada wide calling.

I am using hangout to make calls(as its free to call in Canada). My phone number is verified in hangout and the person at receivers end gets my public mobile number on his screen. Now I was wondering when he)she calls me back, will it connect via hangout or normal public mobile network?

Secondly, on my hangout dialer when I type name of my contact, it does not pick +1 as prefix but +--( first digits of dialed contact number), how to solve this?

I appreciate the help from community members.☺️

Thank you.

Greetings of the day!!

15 REPLIES 15

@Arvindman wrote:

Thank you each one of you.

I really appreciate your help.

Although I know but please reconfirm once that calls from hangout will count toward 100 min of cap? ( Hangout dialer is taking initial 3 digits as country code by default, each time I look for contact, copy number from there and paste in hangout; suggest a way out).

Greetings.

Warm regards,

xxxxx

@Arvindman    You may want to contact moderators to get your community username changed to something that doesn't include your real name and also edit your post to delete your name from it by clicking the 3 dots top right of the post I've quoted here and then select edit/delete to avoid giving scammers TMI...  😊

@Arvindman wrote:

I am using hangout to make calls(as its free to call in Canada). My phone number is verified in hangout and the person at receivers end gets my public mobile number on his screen. Now I was wondering when he)she calls me back, will it connect via hangout or normal public mobile network?

I think some of the confusion here has to do with what you mean by when the person calls you back.  If the person uses Hangouts Dialer, @will13am is spot on that the other person willl be placing the call through the internet, but the call will come through to you as a regular voice network phone call.  However, if the person calls you back from the chat section of Hangouts (not the Hangouts Dialer), this call will come through in Hangouts and come through the internet instead.  So really, the answer to your above question depends on how the call to you is placed.

Hangouts calling, though nice because of its ability to send your own caller id, is going away soon: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Google-Hangouts-No-more-outgoing-call...

I posted a while back with screenshots how to set it up do do that though with a canadian number without google voice if you want to try in the limited time left, I have to find it....

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Arvindman :To reconfirm for you calls made using any app including hangouts or google voice or etc used your data allotments or WiFi allotments not your cell minute allotments, so no it's not it doesn't deduct your 100 minute cap.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

Google voice numbers are all US numbers.  Google does not have the license to issue Canadian phone numbers.   

Actually, this isn't 100% accurate. Up until 2014 there was a glitch with Google Voice that allowed people to register phone numbers with the 403 area code, which is Southern Alberta including Calgary. I was able to register a number in the 403 area code during that time, and it is still an active google voice number.

Arvindman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you each one of you.

I really appreciate your help.

Although I know but please reconfirm once that calls from hangout will count toward 100 min of cap? ( Hangout dialer is taking initial 3 digits as country code by default, each time I look for contact, copy number from there and paste in hangout; suggest a way out).

Greetings.

Warm regards,

xxxxx xxxxxxxx

Edit by Dunkman: removed personal information

@gpixel wrote:

@hTideGnow yes, but you didn't know that there is an option to show any number you desire. all you have to do is register/authenticate it on hangouts and it will display that number to the recipient

Also, why would Hangout accept your PM number ?  Hangout will only allows US accounts.  That's why it needs a number to validate you are in US.  AFAIK, they won't accept Canadian number for validation. 

where are you getting this info from? it is incorrect...

Sorry, possible I got mixed up with using Google Voice to dial out with the US phone number.

@gpixel i think @hTideGnow is thinking of Google voice, it will soon be replacing hangouts and they have been already telling people to get ready to migrate.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Arvindman 

When they call back they will be calling your cell not hangouts.

I was heart broken when i found out i won't be able to use hangouts with my number anymore. The clearest sound and my number for display, just best option for unlimited incoming

But then i noticed transfer call in fongo.

That ended up even better thing (unless you want to call fongo numbers then there are issues)

What fongo does with call transfer it dials first your cell and you answer, then it calls your destination and disconnects from the conversation even before they answer. They actually don't get your Fongo number on display but your cell instead. Sound is also great.

Give it a try

@hTideGnow yes, but you didn't know that there is an option to show any number you desire. all you have to do is register/authenticate it on hangouts and it will display that number to the recipient

Also, why would Hangout accept your PM number ?  Hangout will only allows US accounts.  That's why it needs a number to validate you are in US.  AFAIK, they won't accept Canadian number for validation. 

where are you getting this info from? it is incorrect...

@will13am wrote:

I have google voice numbers in my google accounts and they were generated while I was in the US.  I have been using this dial around thing forever.  Note also that hangouts dialer is on the way out.  It will be replaced by the google voice app.  

I have my Google US number when I was working US, too.    Have been using Hangout dialer since.

With Hangout going away, look like Google Voice won't allow me to make call with my US number on the cell anymore (however , look like Google Voice allow me to make calls out of my Tablet)

I have used both Fongo too.  I think voice on Hangout is a LOT better.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Arvindman wrote:

Secondly, on my hangout dialer when I type name of my contact, it does not pick +1 as prefix but +--( first digits of dialed contact number), how to solve this?

Thank you.

Greetings of the day!!

@Arvindman 

If you use Hangout diaer to make calls, the receiver will see your Hangout number and not your Public.  Hangout just use the number to validate that is you.  Did you really use the Hangout Dialer to make calls?

Have you used hangouts dialer before?  OP is correct, if you add your Canadian number to hangouts, the recipient sees that number as the calling number when using the hangout dialer.  It is just a number spoof, nothing more.  The call is obviously not made through the Public Mobile network.  Google voice numbers are able to receive phone calls via the google voice app.  I have google voice numbers in my google accounts and they were generated while I was in the US.  I have been using this dial around thing forever.  Note also that hangouts dialer is on the way out.  It will be replaced by the google voice app.  

I think I understand why your friend sees your PM number even if you are using Hangout dialer.  When you use Hangout dialer and if you are using a Google Voice Number, you should see a line saying "Using your Google Voice number (xxx) xxx-xxxx " 

If you check that line, I think it is showing your PM number, not a Google voice number

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Arvindman , sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  If your contacts call your phone number via their hangouts app, your hangouts app will not ring.  It will be your normal phone app that receives the call.  What google does is offer free calling to regular phone numbers for hangouts users.  There is no ability to receive a call to your Canadian number via hangouts.  That said, if you had a google voice number assigned to your account, your contacts can call the google voice number and you will receive it via the hangouts/google voice app.  Google voice numbers are all US numbers.  Google does not have the license to issue Canadian phone numbers.   

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Arvindman wrote:

Thank you.

Greetings of the day!!

@Arvindman 

If you use Hangout diaer to make calls, the receiver will see your Hangout number and not your Public.  Hangout just use the number to validate that is you.  Did you really use the Hangout Dialer to make calls?

Need Help? Let's chat.