cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Transferring or Changing your Phone Number

Geozuma
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like to transfer my phone number to another provider. So far with public mobile I am not able to receive or send texts to certain people but other people it works fine. When I went to transfer this number to koodo, I could not receive the SMS text to be able to transfer my number. Could you please help me on how to put approval on my account?

32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@crustylady : Yup. Like I said..follow the money.

And another thing, I hope the OP was late in his pre-paid term (or could have been suspended in this case) seeing as how there are no pro-rated refunds here. Or maybe Koodo gave him a little something to cover that loss. Or, maybe staying in the family, it just transferred over.  Dunno.

After all that excellent work by minimum wage guy, he should've said go talk to the PM support. But maybe he had bought-in to the myth/rumour that there's no support here and so did all he knew to do and then ported him out when nothing fixed it. Or maybe he did suggest that and then the OP had heard of that myth/rumour and said no go ahead and port after blowing 3 hours (in a virus-infested mall 🙂 ) trying to fix it ...which itself could be its own little clerk game. One never knows, do one?

And my comment was made before we heard what all had been tried other than that this place would have been better.

The OP is gone now though so none of this matters anymore. Although he might still be getting email notifications depending on his settings.

crustylady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Anonymous wrote:

Whatever RosieR. I'll be as zealous as I want inside of the T&C's. Remember also that the clerk or his boss would get a commission from Koodo for that activation and SIM sale. He gets paid anyway for spending the time. A couple wins. He should have eventually thrown up his hands and said contact the PM support people. But no. He proceeded with the activation.

Uhm, keep in mind there @Anonymous , that they all serve TELUS so the Koodo minimum wage guy did exactly what TELUS wants and expects him to do.

@Geozuma 

I'm happy for you that the koodo guy gave it his best and then successfully activated you with koodo. Kudos for the koodo guy. I won't go on about what I think of koodo and how they struggle to activate pm customers but have no issues activating a koodo account. There's a reason for that.....they work for koodo not public mobile. Whether or not they charge you the $30 to $45 in store activation fee is another story.

If he makes minimum wage or more he made his koodo commission and he most likely makes more than our moderators make.......all have to say is you don't go to McD's for a Timmy's coffee.

But in case your not happy with koodo sign up your email for the second 30 days free promotion and you have 3 weeks to come back....private message me and I will tell you how to get 6 months of pm service for less than $5 a month (30 days really....)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing I say will change your mind. So I already don't care what you think. You do you.

Nothing you say will negate your demeaning comment about a working man.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That piece was in comparison to what help he would have got here. I've already congratulated the clerk for trying so hard. And the customer with going along with the try.

Colour me a little skeptical about the resultant motivations. We already know stores will downplay PM or say there's no support. And that PM was a lesser part of this stores business. It was a Koodo store. Follow the money.

So you put down a guy for doing his job?  You do what you do best.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever RosieR. I'll be as zealous as I want inside of the T&C's. Remember also that the clerk or his boss would get a commission from Koodo for that activation and SIM sale. He gets paid anyway for spending the time. A couple wins. He should have eventually thrown up his hands and said contact the PM support people. But no. He proceeded with the activation.

@Geozuma wrote:

Wow you guys are a passionate group with some great ideas. Had I known before switching, it might have been different. That said, it isn't super easy to keep up or figure this out for a newbie.  I was already transferred to koodo and just trying to figure out how to port the number with an explanation of why. Being a newbie I don't know how to take the alleged public mobile kiosk  "minimum wage" guy comment.  It is a koodo kiosk that also deals with public mobile .... where I bought the public mobile sim card.  Also the guy was super professional  and took a lot of time to help ... awesome for a minimum wage clerk. Whether he could figure it out or not, he didnt brush me off ... he tried hard and that kept me within the telus koodo public mobile group of companies 

@Geozuma kudos to the "minimum wage" guy at Koodo kiosk who did all he could to help you.  Perhaps you could go back to that kiosk and ask for his name so you could write an awesome review of his services.  Perhaps Koodo would give him a promotion and salary increase... perhaps this happened for a reason.  He helped you (and got insulted or put down in the forums by overzealous members of the Public Mobile community) and you get him promoted with a salary increase to boot.  How about it eh?

I hope your port goes off without a hitch.  

Sorry to see you go but we wish you well.

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Geozuma : Indeed, great of the guy to try so hard. He should have directed you to come here though as the last gasp as this is the initial point of entry, or at least the way to get to, the actual company support people. But very often we can get you some ideas or workarounds. Then failing that then direct you to how to get to the company support people.

I've never had any kind of end of the world problem with Telus in all my years. When I learned about this place and that it belonged to Telus...just a lot cheaper, then I was in.

Hey, @Geozuma

Good to know my initial reply with the moderator contact information at least served some purpose for you.

No doubt some of the more passionate folks will still be here when, or if, you return.

Best of luck!

Geozuma

Wow you guys are a passionate group with some great ideas. Had I known before switching, it might have been different. That said, it isn't super easy to keep up or figure this out for a newbie.  I was already transferred to koodo and just trying to figure out how to port the number with an explanation of why. Being a newbie I don't know how to take the alleged public mobile kiosk  "minimum wage" guy comment.  It is a koodo kiosk that also deals with public mobile .... where I bought the public mobile sim card.  Also the guy was super professional  and took a lot of time to help ... awesome for a minimum wage clerk. Whether he could figure it out or not, he didnt brush me off ... he tried hard and that kept me within the telus koodo public mobile group of companies 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : meh. Another thing to learn about in ones self-serve while waiting for the moderator.

I suspect the OP won't be interested in staying.

@Anonymous 

Since a support ticket is already opened why risk the loss of rewards being applied upon renewal if moderator assistance is imminent?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Geozuma : Outstanding effort! Nope. Certainly not giving up easily. Nice work giving it the ol' college try.

If you're still here (not ported yet) then you could try the lost/stolen procedure. Log in, Plans & Add-ons, Lost/Stolen - Suspend, log out, wait a minute or 3, log back in and back, Resume, restart phone. See what happens.

But likely the moderators would be able to do some kind of reset at their end too.

@Geozuma 

Your sim card didn't provision correctly upon activation. This happens occasionally. The moderators will fix this and everything will work normal afterwards.

Geozuma

Not an iPhone. Not only iPhone to Android issue. Not only Android to Android issue. Sometimes Android to iPhone. Sometimes the iPhone user received my text but I was not able to receive the texts they sent. Some iPhone users called and it just went to my voice message. Multiple Android users called went to voice message ... I was not able to receive their texts or text to them. Tried a number of friends some on Bell, some on Telus, one on freedom, 2 on Shaw. Even the guy at the Public Mobile kiosk did not know what to do. He used to be a tech advisor for another cell provider. He even put my SIM card in his phone and it did not work. We went through every single setting on the phone. Resetting multiple things.

Yep we're giving up super easy.

@HALIMACS 

I am a single finger typing madwoman on a tablet with a basic keyboard configuration vs you multi finger typing laptop/pc users!

@darlicious I sent you a private message.

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS @RosieR 

Apologies....I should have added 😉 and your subsequent posts appeared while typing so I didn't see them.....

All good...  love the passion.  😁

@Geozuma ,  ya sure you don't want to run it by these folks on here? 

@HALIMACS @RosieR 

Apologies....I should have added 😉 and your subsequent posts appeared while typing so I didn't see them.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

A shot with some minimum wage clerk at some alleged Public Mobile kiosk. I would put far money on this group here than a clerk somewhere.

Seriously, @darlicious - c'mon

You'll see my subsequent follow up welcoming opportunity to hash things out - however if an OP asks how to do something, I'll answer the question 1st, then offer alternatives later.   

Also, @Geozuma seems to have given it a shot based on their recent post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Geozuma : There's a pretty clever bunch of folks here. Absolutely no way it's a Public Mobile problem for you to not be able to send and receive texts.I would half way bet you will have the same problem where you go next.

@Geozuma 

If you need help doing this please reach out.....

• go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it 
  • go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles; details for iPhones here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323130/highlight/true#M24565 

(if you don't see the profile tab. It means you don't have any profiles installed)

• Reset network settings: Go to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset network settings. The phone will switch off and restart automatically in a few minutes.

@RosieR @HALIMACS 

Geez you two give up just as easily @Geozuma !

@Geozuma 

It sounds like you have an iPhone like @Anonymous  mentioned. Are the "texts" you are sending and recieving blue ones? vs green ones? If they are blue that means you are only exchanging iMessages with other iPhone users. You have to go into your settings and enable your phone to send SMS/MMS so that android users can also recieve your texts and iphone users can recieve them without data or when they are not on wifi. Does your mobile data work? Or can you only send messages on wifi? Usually you have to update thru iTunes so apple can configure your APN. Changing providers will present you with the same problem this is not unique to pm it is unique to iPhones.

Geozuma

I went to the Public Mobile kiosk and spent 3 hours with them today trying to resolve the problem. In the end it could not be resolved. Too bad because it seems like a good option for cell phones plans. However I now know where every different type of setting is in my phone.

@Geozuma wrote:

Thank you I was able to submit a ticket through the chat bot

Don't wanna give us a shot at helping beforehand as @Anonymous proposes?

We won't judge --- (too much)

Geozuma

Thank you I was able to submit a ticket through the chat bot

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Geozuma wrote:

I would like to transfer my phone number to another provider. So far with public mobile I am not able to receive or send texts to certain people but other people it works fine. When I went to transfer this number to koodo, I could not receive the SMS text to be able to transfer my number. Could you please help me on how to put approval on my account?

Hi @Geozuma read this

Transferring Your Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.

If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our moderator team who will be able to assist you.

Sorry to see you go but we wish you well.

RosieR

Need Help? Let's chat.