cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gone on international holiday / Didn't know Public doesn't work outside Canada / U.S.

mattyjhale
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I have just arrived in New Zealand to find out that Public does not operate outside of Canada / U.S.

My account is pre-paid each month so it remains active. 

How can I retrieve text messages that are being sent to my number?

Cheers, Matthew

6 REPLIES 6

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cavemantoronto That I didnt know, good save. She was with rogers most likely at the time, thought it was a feature with the phone and not the carrier. 

@stevenanto Public doesn't do wifi calling.  The phone number can't be used outside Canada and United States.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some phones can use data through wifi, I remember my wife doing this once years back. Its wifi calling or something, you keep your actual phone number but use the wifi to call and not the PM network (or other carriers). She didnt use a third party app like textnow. She had a samsung phone at the time I believe was an s8. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

get a local SIM with some data , it's usually cheaper that way..

With the local SIM with data, now you can use app like Whatsapp to get connected with friends.

you can also setup a Fongo from free VoIP phone with a local Canadian number, this way, you can make regular local calls. 

@mattyjhale 

If you choose to suspend your service via lost stolen you will still recieve voicemail that you can access thru textnow or fongo. The article @Luddite  supplied is a good read. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@mattyjhale  Text messages can'gt be forwarded. If you reaklly need to send/receive SMS while away get the TextNow app and you'll be able to da that while connected to wifi.

As far a maintaining your number while away cehck this: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735/h...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.