cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9 VoLTE

Leafsfanatic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just got a text that says VoLTE is now available and my device is compatible. I clicked on the link in the message to find out what settings to update, but I can't see anything about updating settings. When I check my phone for software updates, there aren't any available. I also can't find a VoLTE option in the mobile networks settings area on my phone. Is there something I have to do to use VoLTE, or can I verify that I am using it? 

Here's the text I got:

Public Mobile here! We’ve enabled VoLTE (Voice over Long-term Evolution) on our network.

To enjoy uninterrupted voice services while roaming in the U.S., a VoLTE certified device and a VoLTE enabled network are required.

Great news, your current device supports VoLTE. Please note that your settings require an update. Visit publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/volte to learn how to activate VoLTE now.

29 REPLIES 29

Leafsfanatic

I just told them to close the ticket, it's not worth the time to try and go back and forth with them. I figure within a year I'll probably have a new phone anyways which will be on their list. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

And as you know I had to escalate the issue to the senior team before I had that issue fixed myself, so I feel for all of you.

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

Well support wasn't much help: 

"We are sorry about the message, however, that is just a massive standard text message sent to all our customers.

Keep in mind that we are Prepaid/Pay as you go, for that reason we don't store IMEI or our customer's device information. We don't know what cellphone is our customer using, and you are free to use any device as long as is unlocked and compatible."

Why would you send a "standard text message" to people saying their device is compatible? That just seems silly. 

@Leafsfanatic , once again you had a CSA that didn’t have a clue! If it was a standard text message then why do some get a text message that their device isn’t compatible if they don’t know what device their customer is using? Clearly they have no clue about a lot of things when giving customers conflicting information! Sorry. 

Edit: I had to go through 4 CSA’s before I found one that had a clue of what was going on, what the truth was & how to fix it!

Leafsfanatic

@LitlLdy 

The iPhone 14 is on their list, lucky you 🙂 

The message I got through my ticket was:

"We are sorry about the message, however, that is just a massive standard text message sent to all our customers.

Keep in mind that we are Prepaid/Pay as you go, for that reason we don't store IMEI or our customer's device information. We don't know what cellphone is our customer using, and you are free to use any device as long as is unlocked and compatible."

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

@LitlLdy Which phone do you have? 

Support is telling me my device isn't on their supported list, so despite getting a text saying my device is supported it may not be after all. Pretty disappointing. 

@Leafsfanatic , my phone is an iPhone 14 Pro. 

What did the CSA say about the text you received stating that your phone is compatible? The problem with many CSA’s is that they keep giving incorrect information & argue it even after showing them proof! I had to go through 4 different CSA’s to get one that knew the correct information & what to do! It’s very frustrating. Sorry 😔

@softech wrote:

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

Hmm, I don't see a VoLTE option anywhere in my settings. When I call my land line or my voicemail, my icon switches from LTE to 4G.

@Leafsfanatic 

i think Samsung icon is misleading.  4G is in fact H+ (3G)

The conections shows LTE all along

Then I changed my phone to GSM/HSPA (from GSM/HSPA/LTE) and the connection shows 4G.  So, 4G actually means 3G in Samsung.   The fact that your call changed from LTE to 4G means it is not using VoLTE

@softech , thats good info to know for Samsung users! Kinda messed up isn’t it?

Leafsfanatic

Well support wasn't much help: 

Why would you send a "standard text message" to people saying their device is compatible? That just seems silly. 

@Leafsfanatic  AFAIK, PM is still enabling VoLTE for all accounts, I think we might have to give them more time to complete the enablement before we can be sure which devices are supported and which are unsupported

Leafsfanatic

@softech Yeah, the pessimist in me says having a list means they can just say "your device is unsupported". to end the ticket, hope that's not the case. 

@Leafsfanatic  

Please note that not all phone compatible and work on PM's VoLTE are on the compatible list posted on PM site.  It is confirmed that some phones which are not on the list still have VoLTE enabled and work

Leafsfanatic

@LitlLdy Which phone do you have? 

Support is telling me my device isn't on their supported list, so despite getting a text saying my device is supported it may not be after all. Pretty disappointing. 

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

Hmm, I don't see a VoLTE option anywhere in my settings. When I call my land line or my voicemail, my icon switches from LTE to 4G.

@Leafsfanatic 

i think Samsung icon is misleading.  4G is in fact H+ (3G)

The conections shows LTE all along

Then I changed my phone to GSM/HSPA (from GSM/HSPA/LTE) and the connection shows 4G.  So, 4G actually means 3G in Samsung.   The fact that your call changed from LTE to 4G means it is not using VoLTE

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

Just got a text that says VoLTE is now available and my device is compatible. I clicked on the link in the message to find out what settings to update, but I can't see anything about updating settings. When I check my phone for software updates, there aren't any available. I also can't find a VoLTE option in the mobile networks settings area on my phone. Is there something I have to do to use VoLTE, or can I verify that I am using it? 

Here's the text I got:

Public Mobile here! We’ve enabled VoLTE (Voice over Long-term Evolution) on our network.

To enjoy uninterrupted voice services while roaming in the U.S., a VoLTE certified device and a VoLTE enabled network are required.

Great news, your current device supports VoLTE. Please note that your settings require an update. Visit publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/volte to learn how to activate VoLTE now.

@Leafsfanatic , I had to reset network settings, reboot phone, turn off phone, remove SIM card from phone for 5 minutes, put SIM card back in, turn phone on. Made a phone call & my phone stayed on LTE during calls (didn’t drop down to 3G during calls) which I was told means my VoLTE is working! I don’t have the settings option on my phone to enable or disable VoLTE!

I would send a supported ticket to a senior tech support CSA to check for sure that it is correctly activated on your account if you see it is not working on your phone. Just my opinion though.

Edit: @Leafsfanatic , sorry, I didn’t see your last message where you said you put a ticket in to support. Please let us know how it goes.

Leafsfanatic

@GR I did, re-started a couple times and no settings seemed to appear. I just put a ticket in to support for this to see if they have any ideas. 

@Leafsfanatic  did you try restarting your phone and then checking the volte settings and trying a call?   I didn't see any mention of a restart in all those post unless I missed it.  That's what I had to do to get it working on my accounts!  Good luck 

Leafsfanatic

I've also tried the hidden settings app and found the VoLET Provisioned option is turned off, not sure if that matters?

Leafsfanatic_0-1680027050856.png

Leafsfanatic

@hycm53 I don't have just an LTE network setting

@softech

image.png

@Leafsfanatic 

i think Mobile voice network type showing LTE means VoLTE.  

I check, my 3G only phone shows UMTS

With my US service, that screen shows the IMS registration line. The mobile network voice type line will show what it's using when actually on a call.

The dial code is not universal to all Android phones either.

Adding - I'm not in the US but this is that screen with that sim.

Screenshot_20230328-110524_Settings.jpg

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

@softech 

Here's what I have on that screen:

Screenshot_20230328-135119_Settings.jpg

You are good now for VoLTE.

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

The VoLTE calls SIM1 option isn't there for me. I have an S9, not an S9+ (not sure if that matters). Screenshot_20230328-134838_Call settings.jpg

Click "Network mode", then choose "LTE".

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

The VoLTE calls SIM1 option isn't there for me. I have an S9, not an S9+ (not sure if that matters). Screenshot_20230328-134838_Call settings.jpg

One thing you can try is to install network cell info lite app, call voicemail, open the app and see what it says about the network connection.  If the app reports an LTE connection during the voicemail connection, then calls are going to VoLTE.  It seems like some phones don't have a specific VoLTE setting.  The setting in your screen cap is for data only.  

@Leafsfanatic wrote:

@softech 

Hmm, I don't see a VoLTE option anywhere in my settings. When I call my land line or my voicemail, my icon switches from LTE to 4G. If I look at my IMS registration it says LTE for both Mobile voice network type and Mobile data network type. 

The IMS status menu is hidden.  Use *#*#4636#*#* to access.  The SIM status information is useless.  In the standby state the mobile voice network is always on LTE.  If VoLTE is not enabled, it will change during a phone call.  

Leafsfanatic

@softech 

Here's what I have on that screen:

Screenshot_20230328-135119_Settings.jpg

Leafsfanatic

@Leafsfanatic   I think you are good.

do you have a IMS registration status on the same screen?  does it say Registered?

Leafsfanatic

@softech 

Hmm, I don't see a VoLTE option anywhere in my settings. When I call my land line or my voicemail, my icon switches from LTE to 4G. If I look at my IMS registration it says LTE for both Mobile voice network type and Mobile data network type. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Leafsfanatic 

Enable 4G HD Voice (VoLTE) on Samsung Galaxy S9+
On main page swipe screen up
Select (Settings)
And then (Connections)
Select (Mobile networks)
Tap turn on (VoLTE calls SIM 1), if having 2 SIMs, (VoLTE calls SIM 2) will appear
Wait a moment, VoLTE1 will show at top right corner, if SIM2 is used, it will be VoLTE2 and 4G HD Voice / VoLTE service is ready to use

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Leafsfanatic   

make sure you enabled VoLTE on your device (should be in the Connection or Data page on your phone)

And when you make calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are there

Also, you can confirm by checking the IMS registration, see if it is "registered".  You can likely find it under About -> Status -> Sim card status on your phone

Also, people would find checking voicemail from your phone a lot quicker with VoLTE, it will basically connect instantly while it will take couple seconds on 3G (as you phone would take time switching from LTE network to 3G network)

Need Help? Let's chat.