cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced to switch to new points program!

Rob19631
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It's a shame because it was actually a great concept they had, the reward system got us excited about a few dollars and it worked!! Now what is there to talk about? Points? Ok if the points included loyalty and auto pay I get it but our bills are going up!!! PM just threw themselves into the heap of other bs providers. 

My question: If I am I correct? I lose my auto pay $2 a month, I lose my $4 a month for 4 years of loyalty. I can use my $11 a month of referrals that will be converted to 11 points per month towards my bill but I have to do it manually but only when it reaches 15 points. I get 10 points a year for loyalty but is that 10 points for every year? So in my case 40 points a year for my 4 years of loyalty? Thanks for all your help 🙂 

20 REPLIES 20

Df147
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It was the $24 plan I wanted for my kids phones. The $34 one sounds really good buy don’t want to pay that much for their phones each month. 

Df147

Yes

andy889

Df147

I didn’t find anything. After I put a ticket in they said they would give it to me. It is for new customers but i was actually logged into my sons account when I saw the deal. 

Data_man

Have you tried going in on the app and selecting subscription and scrolling to Midway of the page and select change subscription?

Instead of selecting 5G or 4G just select all ( third option from the left) although it can be located under 5G as well just not the 4G. 

I currently have the 100 gigs for $50. I know my friend had the same issue earlier and I was not able to locate that plan on the app but it's there now so I would give it another try.

PLAN IS LISTED AS SHOWN BELOW! 

$34.00+Tax

[ ] 50 Gigs up to 250 mbps and unlimited data at reduced speeds.

[ ] Unlimited Canada wide minutes and Messaging Plus unlimited international text and picture messaging.

[ ] Also earn $1.70 per month in points value with the Public Points Reward Program.

The only stipulation is that the plan goes into effect when you're account has to renew. 

Hope that helps and have a great day! 

Tiffiny124

Correct you loose auto pay credit, it is replaced with a 5% credit so if you spend $40/mo th it’s the same amount but if you spend less than $40 you loose money. 
You will get an annual loyalty credit of 10 points NOT PER YEAR ten points flat. So while you were getting $48/year in credits and next year you would have received $60 @ $5/month you now get 10 points which is equal to $10 unless they devalue the points which can happen. 

your referral credits will be 1 point per person. 1 point = $1 but they have now maxed this at 4 points per month so again you are loosing money, as am I. 

Df147

I tried to get on the $24 plan. It wasn’t an option when I went to change my subscription so I put in a ticket and apparently that isn’t for existing customers. I was very unimpressed with that and really not sure about these points. 
I am going to do some shopping around to see if there is a better deal out there. 

andy889

What have you found while shopping around for a better provider/plan?  I'm still looking but I think I might go with PC Mobile $24 plan which runs off the Bell network.

HI @andy889 

that is not true.  The points are in your account and keep growing until you redeem

So, you can be earning 3 points a month, then 5 months later, you can redeem for $15

andy889

jetlee

I'm on 15$/month plan and was very happy with it until now especially with my 4$ loyalty, my 2$ auto-pay and my 3$ referrals. At a certain point, PM even advertised that you wiil have 0$ bill if you get enough rewards. It's a shock that now i will have to pay 15$ ínstead of 6$. I know rewards are replaced by points but i'm quite sure the new stratagem will be more beneficial to PM than to subscribers. One other thing, the bonus data they are giving is really ridiculous and ínsulting with its expiration date unlike the one they used to give at XMAS time. I think they will have to review number of subscibers gain/loss after this move. Aeroplan might change and you're stuck with it for better or for worse. Mobile plan is completely different so i'm quite sure a lot of people are starting to look for alternatives.

pck2023

One more thing, the so call "bonus data" for us is totally irrelevant. Most of my referrals don't even able to use up their monthly data. Besides, the bonus data has a time limit and will expire. Totally useless to most subscribers.

hi @yrs, this is a valid concern . sad

pck2023

People who joined PM through my referrals are not savvy in using the internet. With the old system, they don't have to do anything to earn their fair share of rewards as promised by PM, and applied automatically towards their monthly payment. Now with this new Points system, they may not see any reduction towards their monthly payment because it becomes too tricky for them to login to their account (which they are not comfortable to / don't know how) to request the conversion of Points they earned (which don't happens because they are seniors subscribing to the $15 / $25 plans and have not accumulated the 15 points minimum every month). It will be total confusion for them. The result is more than likely they are NOT able to use the Points at all and keep paying FULL plan fees every month. Is this what PM's ultimate goal?

Mobilemech

Everyone needs to contact both the CCTS to lodge a complaint and the CRTC for possible non-compliance with the wireless code. They are essentially increasing our plans. Other companies could find loopholes to violate the wireless code and increase grandfathered wireless plans using similar methods. What's to stop them from next dropping the rewards completely?

We signed up for a service we are no longer receiving. Companies need to be held accountable for this. It's happening almost every day now.

If they wanted customers to switch, they should have provided incentive to do so. They haven't done anything to improve the new system since they introduced it. They said they would leave existing customers alone and focus on making improvements and offering incentives ...

They lied

Mobilemech

You need a $40 plan to break even and you don't get rewarded for any bill reduction you use so that 5% won't be consistent like auto pay is.

Foxchoir2

I loved this company for the rewards program.  I know it's not a lot, but $2 off a month and the extra $1 every year with them adds up over time.  I had brought my $34 plan down to $28 just from loyalty.  That's $6 better than Freedom and all the other brands competitive price.  For sure a great reason to remain.  Now it's bumped up to a full $34 again where I accrue points, but it takes 9 months before I gain enough to get a single discount (which I have to do manually vs automatic - total crap!!!)?  The anniversary 10pts wouldn't be so bad if it were 10pts for every year I've been with PM, but instead it's just a single 10.  So come my 5th year with PM i'm now trading out $5/month = $60/yearly for just $10/yearly.  Greedy decision.  Now that we're priced nearly identical to everyone else it's time to go shopping.

ck_wong

How hard is it to just leave it the way it is? This change will definitely have people shopping around.  It should be grandfathered...and left to open choice.

InternM010

I really don't see how forcing people into the points system rewards loyalty and encourages customers to stay. Now I have more reason to shop around for the better deal. I think Public is going to lose a lot of customers going forward unless they can offer even cheaper plans than other providers to differentiate themselves. As it is, their plans are usually just competitive to the point that they match deals of other providers. I feel bad for students and low-income consumers who saw Public as a cheaper alternative to the big players in the market (which actually own these cheap spin-off companies/subsidiaries to begin with). Well, the future will tell, but I will be losing the only thing that kept me loyal to Public in the first place: rewards that actually had value! I think we can all agree that dollars off a bill have way more value than points for add-ons.  Bad decision Public. A real slap in the face to your oldest and loyal customers. 

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You will get 5% of your bill payment in points also instead of autopay.   I keep hoping there will be more options for plans for existing users if everyone is on points.  

Need Help? Let's chat.