cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who say PM doesn't reward Loyal Customers (This didn't age well)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Edited to add:  Below was written before the removal of the Legacy rewards Program and the removal of the converion of 1 point for ever 30 days you have been with Public Mobile.

I see many posts in here about how PM doesn't reward or value their long term customers, and only offers good plans to new customers.  Well just my personal experience with PM will show that it isn't true.  I came to PM like many others in the Fall of 2016 for the famous "Fall Promo" it was $120 for 12GB over 90 days.  So basically a $40/4 plan but gave you the flexibility in data usage over the 90 days.  Some 30 days spans you used more or less but had 12 over the 90 days.  This plan was an industry disrupter, there were so many new activations daily.  You think wait times can get bad now waiting for a couple of hours, wait times were in the weeks during this time and people were willing to wait as it was such a good deal.  Not only was it a great deal this company then had ways to lower your bill with autopay, referrals and community rewards.  That right there is rewarding loyal customers that other providers don't do.

The offers here were so good during that time the referrals were very easy to get and it wasn't long and I had a free cell phone plan.  Besides a work issued phone where can you get that.  Over time the Telus culture grew within PM and it was no longer an industry innovator as it was prior to the purchase, but they were still rewarding loyal long term customers with the loyalty and all other rewards.  There were a few years where (I personally found) PM very stale for offeres and hard to refer as other providers had the same plans, but it switched again and PM started offering very attractive plans to bring in new customers just like all other providers.  Some plans were for new customers only (industry standard) but they usually made their way to be available for all,

I think recently with the re-introduction of Canada US plans with substantial data buckets that PM is again on the innovative, industry disrupter side.  While Teir 1's are increasing roaming rates, PM is including it their plans, which is AMAZING!!  Don't get me wrong there are somethings that I think need to be looked at and improved on.  The lower priced plans seem to be stale and not much changing on the while the higher priced plans are getting added features and additional data, not everyone needs or can afford those plans.  So that is an area I think PM should be taking a look at next.

To wrap this up and get back to my point I started here in November of 2016 on the $120/12GB 90 day plan ($40/4gb) and now I have the $34/50GB Canada-US Plan.  I am not sure how I could have gotten here with one provider and not leave them over those 7 years if they didn't reward their longtime customers.  Remember I have been earning rewards over that time as well which I wouldn't see elsewhere.  PM Does value their longterm customers.  I am not saying they are perfect as I think a revamp of lower priced plans needs to be looked at, but I am not searching for a new provider anytime soon.  Plus this recent new offer I was able to bring more people over to PM and help my current referrals get more features and data all the while saving them more money.

Apologies for this turning into a bit of a rant, but just got tired of complaints on not rewarding loyal customers.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

46 REPLIES 46

cbatchi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Totally agree. I too switched over to the $34/50GB Canada-US Plan and switch everyone in my family as well. This is a great deal. You are right, there was a couple years that the pricing plans was stale, but that was industry wide. And yes, you are right that it would be nice to see some movement in the lower priced plans, but it's not the end of the world and I'm sure they will eventually make some changes at that level.

Shubh2023
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oh I see. Sad to hear it. So, if you would be changing, which company do you have in your mind? 

burkely001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You're not wong! Too bad my $15 phone plan for my second like is now going to cost me full price! I guess it's time to part ways with Public Mobile, after almost 15 years of service with them!

Shubh2023

I get the point. I have been using PM since Sept 2023, and I have not regrets, even I was not aware I would not be in loyalty rewards category, still I do not mind! 

Twofingertyper

I agree, I’ve been with these guys since 2019, started with the $15 plan and kept getting better plans offered to me including their friend referral, pre authorized payment, and loyalty bonuses. I’m not overly excited about the reward plan changing because I don’t think I’ll be saving as much as before. Still the best price for a good plan, I also live in a very rural area with poor cell service and have been happy enough with the reception, although I’m not someone that that need 4 bars of 5G 24/7

Shubh2023

As you mentioned, I went to the website to check & they got good deals too, ngl

Shubh2023_0-1710913595860.png

But it depends, will they have good service, network and support from community or not, that is a good question! 
And their plans do have calling, but am unsure if they will allow data or call usage, while in America or if they have unlimited data or not! 

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Paying my phone bill could turn into (small) discounts on shopping, groceries, fuel. Plus (better) discounts and bonuses when combined with a credit card.

Seems like a better deal to me than nearly-worthless and unwanted Public Points™ which would save me maybe about $15 per year.

qwerty123456789

Well on PC Mobiles plans it says "Get 5% the value of every top up in PC Optimum points." I understand that to mean 5% of say $20 is $1 so you would get $1 worth of pc points back. Maybe I misread that though, and you could be correct. 

yes @qwerty123456789  you are right on that

10 PC points per dollar.  10 points is around 1 cent, on a special redeeption day with Shoppers, it is around 1.5 cents, so it is around 1% to 1.5% points back compare with 5% with PM

qwerty123456789

PC Mobile does. Its just in PC points that you use on groceries not against your phone bill

balaca

The simple answer is, make easy profits, off the customers who don't have to be offered expensive real-time customer support.

Quarterly Earnings Transcript from most recent quarter: https://assets.ctfassets.net/fltupc9ltp8m/3skOveNGy1l8Z4mrZQh7Fq/2e33988beb768e1c73ed7d3512e5bab9/TE...

[quote]Maher Yaghi - Scotiabank: We saw a Public Mobile quite active in the marketplace in Q4, and I suspect that this helped your loading in the quarter. We also saw one of your competitors had a significant amount of prepaid to postpaid switching. So, while this is probably dilutive to ARPU, Darren, could you talk a little bit about the comparative metrics on AMPU for Public Mobile versus your existing wireless space, just to be able to understand the impact and the changes of the mix for future profitability.

AMPU: Average Margin Per User
ARPU: Average Revenue Per User

Darren Entwistle - President, CEO & Director
Okay. Thanks, Maher, for both questions. I think I'll let Zainul answer the first question. It's a pretty good new story, particularly as it relates to the quality of our loading, the integrity between post and pre, the digital construct of public and what that portends at an AMPU level. So, I'll hand over to Zainul for that. And Navin, I'll let you handle what our expectations are for Health in 2024. I'm sure they'll be both laudable and very ambitious and exciting. So, Zainul and Navin over to the both of you.

Zainul Mawji – EVP & President of TELUS Consumer Solutions
Thank you, Darren. And, Maher, thanks for the question. I think Public, one of the things to really highlight is that we think about it internally as our IPO, our initial public offering, because it is a new offering. It's the first digital-only subscription offering and it has resonated in the market and it's resonated in a demographic and a space that I think that we've been underpenetrated in, in the past, and I think you can see that in our prepaid results.

What you can actually glean from that though is that when you load a Public Mobile customer, because it is absolutely digital only, we get a 6x improvement on AMPU relative to a traditional subscriber. And so, that is incredibly accretive in our AMPU story.

balaca

Definitely not worth the price anymore, to be content with not receiving text/calls when abroad (e.g. Bank or CRA) and not having real-time access to a human or customer-support. Telus chose the wrong tree to bark up. Churn is the easy way out.

Shubh2023

That's really great to hear and I have a question related to it

Can your kid use 5G there or he has to be limited to 4G and thanks for sharing it with us.

I heard like the plan for US-Canada is quite cheap compared to other competitors and they have a limit of two years, after which they will eventually increase the price but that's not the thing with public I guess because they have not mentioned anything about it right now! 

Chipster

PM's US roaming is unlimited. Unlike several other carriers that require you to connect to their home network once every 30 days. From what I've read PM has no duration on the US roaming. One of my kid's is at school in the US. He'll be able to have just one number now and not have to sign-up with a US carrier.

Shubh2023

Hey, I agree with you!
It helps you get the add-ons at a cheaper rate too! 
Lets see, what PM has in store for us!
I am hopeful 🤞

hi @Shubh2023 yes, the Public Points rewards  you 5% discount, no other carrier has that 

Shubh2023

Hey, 

Thanks a lot for sharing and writing all of this.
I joined Public Mobile around September 2023 and it was a referral from one of my friends and he mentioned about the legacy rewards and I thought like - maybe I would also get it but they just like started providing the point system since 2022 so I missed it out.
But it's OK, considering I was paying 50+ dollars with another SIM card and coming here with that $40 offer of 20 to 30 GB data was still a good deal for me because it gave me unlimited data as well as the 5G because the last SIM which I had, it had 4G on it and I just wanted to make the best use out of my 5G phone as well.

It was a really great thing, then many more offers came in and trust me, since last 2023, I don't have any regrets because I get what you mean, and the support of Telus network, it has 5G, gives unlimited data and right now I have just switched to that 50GB data for $34 US-Canada plan and it will soon be active on my number in a couple of days.
I feel like I can understand where you're coming from and yes I have also heard that they are moving everyone to the new point system and many people, who had legacy rewards, like my friends, for so many years are kind of sad and they feel like it's not a very good thing to be done with them.
Guess so, it's a company policy and they have to keep moving people to the newer system so it's easier for them to manage everything
But hey, the good part is at least we're paying a lot less and we still get back points for referral as well as paying our bills, so I guess there's a lot in coming from Public Mobile and being a new user, I still have a lot of faith on the company so let's see how it goes!

Cheers! Take it easy! 

akp

Seems like you didn't knock on the wood after typing this out.  Yikes

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@kylewm did you read the title and the comment added to the first post where this was written before the recent change and that it didn't age well

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Canadian_Maples

I have faith they can turn this around and please the majority, even just making the data bonus permenant. They still offer good deals and I will stick around too see how it plays out. 

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Freedom has us roaming as well 

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Like the OP points out.... this was written BEFORE this sudden change in Reward plans. AND now acknowledges that this did NOT age well (see the updated title).

(seems to indicate that the Oracles were not in the loop and therefore did not see this coming!)

ninjastar

Other than US roaming, there isn't anything here that isn't offered anywhere else. Seems like they got to you and are paying you handsomely for your "losing what you earned is ok" propaganda. Look at the shiny ball mentality. 

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My mom is a senior and he plans keep going up switched her to freedom and 119 15 gigs for the year and slows right down after her 15 gigs and it’s 4 g she is saving a lot of money works out to be 11.30 with tax and they couldn’t transfer her number didn’t tell us till after when I called they gave her 60 dollars towards next year 

I was able to talk to someone and can talk to someone if needed that being said I’m done with PM the eversage was difficult credit adding and removing difficult Pm with the amount they are charging now and no rewards loyalty left need to offer their customers more for their money not less 

ty

Lostinworld1

Well.. Noone is offering 15$ plan turning into 9$ and change with all the rewards we have been getting here...

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

They do actually. Sadly, a lot of people do fall for stuff like this. They'll even believe that the new system is better than the old system (just because PM tells them it is). I remember when the new system was first introduced, and the amount of people that switched over to it, abandoning their legacy rewards. Shortly after we were flooded with people complaining about how they want to change back, and felt they were tricked. 

Burdwood

@Y4J259 wrote:

Well, this aged poorly!

PM now effectively increasing pricing for loyal customers by $7/mo. by moving them from the old rewards system to the new points plan. 

Your entire post is redundant. 

They think we legacy customers are stupid... Do you really think this post and it's timing was coincidence? 

Y4J259

Well, this aged poorly!

PM now effectively increasing pricing for loyal customers by $7/mo. by moving them from the old rewards system to the new points plan. 

Your entire post is redundant. 

jjre

best reasoning for argument.

jjre

That is true though.

Need Help? Let's chat.