cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Account Switch to eSIM

PitCritter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is it possible to switch an existing "Physical SIM" based account to eSIM on an eSIM compatible phone?

I'll be traveling soon and I'd like to use the physical SIM slot for an EU SIM.

6 REPLIES 6

Certainly your choice @PitCritter

Replacing SIM cards are easy and not problematic, unless you have a very difficult/robust case to remove and replace. 

An additional advantage to keeping PM SIM card in Canada is in the event you need to receive any 2FA codes while abroad. 

If left in a spare device here, it can at least receive the code. 

@PitCritter but be aware that for eSim,  if you ever need to repair your phone, the phone will usually be wiped and the eSIM will be deleted, you will need to rebuy eSIM in such situation too.  Similarly, if you deleted eSIM by mistake, a rebuy is needed as well

PitCritter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've already bought a physical SIM from ThreeUK to use on my vacation. My plan is to only need to open up my phone once, not before AND after my trip.  I'm not planning on changing my phone anytime soon.

I'll leave the ThreeUK physical SIM installed so that I can use it on future trips.

Wellersbayview
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not sure about converting PM to eSIM as I started with an eSIM. 
That said, I recommend purchasing an eSIM for travel. There are many sold online; I have used Airolo with great satisfaction. Install the eSIM before you leave home  - a solid, reliable internet connection is critical to successful installation  - and the eSIM is activated [and days begin to countdown] upon the first connection to the overseas service provider. Moments after landing, while taxiing to the gate, my Europe service activated and my messages and mail were downloading.

There are a few simple steps, varying with iOS or other phone operating system, to turn-off your Canadian service to avoid roaming charges while getting data access from the overseas carrier. Most of these eSIMS do not offer a foreign telephone number but you can use FaceTime/WhatsApp/Signal voice calling or use Skype if needed to contact a local hotel or whatever.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PitCritter  Yes it possible you just need to log into the app on your phone go to subscriptions add on page . Notice “shop SIM card now “ tap it and choose eSIM . But physical sim is better to keep in my opinion because if you ever change phones again you have to rebuy a new eSIM unlike physical sim card you just swap out . And since PM won’t work overseas the eSIM is useless while away . Best to take sim out and buy the local sim in your destination for your trip 

Handy1_0-1708873124571.png

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

You can @PitCritter 

It would be much easier to simply remove the PM SIM card, and use the SIM slot when traveling.

The PM SIM is unusable outside Canada and the US anyway... I'd recommend leaving it in Canada until your return.

Need Help? Let's chat.