cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert

Zainabr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Today there was Emergency Alert on my husband’s phone, but I did not receive it on my phone. What should I do ?

16 REPLIES 16

@Kristowhy wrote:

@Zainabr wrote:

Today there was Emergency Alert on my husband’s phone, but I did not receive it on my phone. What should I do ?

If you are using an Android device you can check to see if "Wireless emergency alerts" are enabled.  To do this use the google messages app:

1. In the top right tap the vertical 3 dots and choose settings
  2. Select "Advanced"
  3. Select "Wireless emergency alerts"
  4. Tap the 3 vertical dots in top right of screen and choose settings
  5. Make sure you have options enabled.

Screenshot_20220913-133959-631.png

Screenshot_20220913-133947-444.png

None of those settings make any difference. They could be disabled, either deliberately or by accident, and the emergency alerts would still come in as long as the user is connected to an LTE network.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Zainabr wrote:

If you are using an Android device you can check to see if "Wireless emergency alerts" are enabled.  To do this use the google messages app:

1. In the top right tap the vertical 3 dots and choose settings
  2. Select "Advanced"
  3. Select "Wireless emergency alerts"
  4. Tap the 3 vertical dots in top right of screen and choose settings
  5. Make sure you have options enabled.

Screenshot_20220913-133959-631.png

Screenshot_20220913-133947-444.png

@Kristowhy wrote:

I have an old Moto device imported from the US back in 2017 and still has the old de-activated Koodo SIM installed in it (too lazy to remove it).  The device says "emergency calls only"  at the top but surprisingly it receives all of these alerts, including the one from yesterday.  These are labelled "Presidential Alerts".   😎

Should be "King's 👑 Alerts" now

Kristowhy

I have an old Moto device imported from the US back in 2017 and still has the old de-activated Koodo SIM installed in it (too lazy to remove it).  The device says "emergency calls only"  at the top but surprisingly it receives all of these alerts, including the one from yesterday.  These are labelled "Presidential Alerts".   😎

WoozyPolarBear

What do you do? If it was me, I would be very thankful to not be pestered or bothered from annoying alerts caused by people who don't have a clue about how to be a parent nor watch their own children, instead relying on the general public to keep an eye on them. It's the main reason I use a USA cell plan in Canada, which does give me the option to turn those alerts off. Canadian numbers are FORCED to have the alerts by the overbearing government. Horrible nanny state Canada has become.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

lol wow every single thread, every single questions, "tell csa to fix it for you"

Getting kind of ridiculous now

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Zainabr 

According to https://www.cwta.ca/for-consumers/wpa-sasfp/

There are many factors that will determine whether you will receive an emergency alert to your WPA-compatible device, including being connected to an LTE network and running the latest software.

... Devices purchased from other countries are not certified by Canadian wireless service providers.

@esjliv wrote:

@Alexandf - you are on a copy and paste roll. 

You think a CSA can change something on OP's account so they receive these message? Please elaborate.

@esjliv 

Yes, I was wondering how PM CS agent can help too.  For sure agent would reply saying not their problem.  Plus, 90% of the time, it is a device issue as well

I guess opening ticket is never a wrong answer.  Like we teach kids, if you got in to trouble, where you seek help?  Police..   LoL

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It would help us help you if you came back with some updates to ideas suggested.

If Android then go into settings and if you have a magnifying glass somewhere then tap it and search for emergen and check all the settings to see if your phone has been set to not alert.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I had it on auto and did not receive alert too. My partner did; same phones.

Not a big deal; saw this alert on weather network 🙂

Alert was useless anyway; no car model, no description, nothing. Just to scare people...

Alexandf

@Zainabr 

the emergency alert depends which the area is send to... if yor husband in same area and you not getting contact to customer support agent to check your account above my post have a link.

toxicfire
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Geeze this @Alexandf just posts the exact same thing for every problem and question. Contact support. Take a break.

Now to the issue. LTE needs to be active on your phone when this alert goes out if your connected to non lte band then you wont get this alert.

We recently just got alerts also and only 1 of our phones received but thats because the other 2 were connected to non lte bands.

Also in settings if android device type emergency and then emergency alerts section will pop up make sure its turned on in the menu.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

To add to what @esjliv said about LTE, certain international model phones will not get alerts. Can you tell us what phone you are using, @Zainabr?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Alexandf - you are on a copy and paste roll. 

You think a CSA can change something on OP's account so they receive these message? Please elaborate.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Zainabr - do you have LTE selected in the settings of your Mobile Connections on your device;  you need that selected to receive these messages.

Check what your settings are at:

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data...

Alexandf

@Zainabr 

open ticket with PM support and ask them to check it for you

At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

have trouble with Chatbot: private message CS_Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Once ticket is submitted,(envelope icon on the top right) CS_Agent will reply you there.

Need Help? Let's chat.