cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email only works with wifi, will not work on data alone

coyoteblue
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My email only works when connected to wifi.  It will not work when running on data alone.  Data will run my internet browser and BBM Messenger, just not email.  Help!

26 REPLIES 26

edmonch2013
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did you give data access to email, you may turn it off. 

@will13am,

Definately appreciate all your comments for me.  Just have to see what I can do.

To close off this portion of off topic.  Saw same model of my Nexus 5, listed on Amazon for more than I paid direct from the Google store - new in box.

Not going to touch it.  $200 > than actual cost at time of purchase.  It's was a great phone ... but not now.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, thanks for those links.

Although the 7 mini lists 2016, it was mid Q4 from my research, so it’s only about 15 months old at most.  I’m thinking still about this device, and I will see what I can do.

my other budget friendly, and usable phone would be the Moto G5, also listed as available at PC Mobile.... but I’m not sure on the display.  On PC Mobile, it lists HD, or what is commonly listed as 720p, but when I look at specs for said device, it lists 1080p, which is FHD, or Full HD.  I want 1080p, or better, so I would need to confirm on packaging, before I were to buy it from PC.

According to gsmarena, the Moto G5 is FHD.  The CPU is on the weak side, SD430.  Paired with only 2 gigs of ram, patience will definitely have to be a virtue. 

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5-8454.php

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker sorry to hear your Nexus 5 is getting flakey.  I just replaced my mother's Nexus 5 with a Moto G5 Plus at Christmas.  Got the Amazon Prime edition on the Black Friday sale pricing, I believe it was $175 USD at the time.  It's a nice step up from the Nexus 5, I think you'll like it.  Make sure you get a case if the non-Plus has the same body (which it appears to), as it's very slippery without one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am, thanks for those links.

Although the 7 mini lists 2016, it was mid Q4 from my research, so it’s only about 15 months old at most.  I’m thinking still about this device, and I will see what I can do.

my other budget friendly, and usable phone would be the Moto G5, also listed as available at PC Mobile.... but I’m not sure on the display.  On PC Mobile, it lists HD, or what is commonly listed as 720p, but when I look at specs for said device, it lists 1080p, which is FHD, or Full HD.  I want 1080p, or better, so I would need to confirm on packaging, before I were to buy it from PC.

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, I know it’s off topic, bad me, but the thread was solved...so here I go lol

Berrys were my work devices, until the gave me an iPhone4s.  That was my last work device, having from start to finish two text receiving pagers prior to the Berrys, 3 different Berrys starting with the 6100, I don’t recall the other two models, other than one was T9 keyboard MIKE network device (awful in my opinion, and the next was a decent bold series device.

Personal phones... another story.  Started on a bag phone for emergency purposes only, a Nokia non flip brick style phone, a Nokia flip with a camera, then the HTC Dream, HTC Magic, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Google Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, returned to Nexus 5 as my current device.

Sad note, having flakey problems right now, and can purchase a desired replacement, so looking for a temporary usable Android phone.  

Do you, or anyone else recall if PC Mobile prepaid phones are on the Telus or Bell side or the shared network?  They Have the Axon 7 Mini at a great reasonable price that I can afford, meets my required FHD screen, is larger than my current screen, isn’t stock, but is close to stock Android, and actually has expandable storage, which I’ve never had on an Android, or any other of my phones previously!

@stonechucker, good luck with locating an Axon mini from PC Mobile.  They have had zero stock for the longest time.  Something to do with the RFD effect.  Something else you should be wary of, the US edition has dual SIM capability whereas the Canadian edition is only single SIM.  Not sure if that matters.  One other thing to note is that this phone is well aged at over 2 years old.  ZTE is one of the worst for software updates.  So, expect to run this thing for two to three years on android 6.0.  Now if you are still interested, Canada Computers is selling it for $189 and they have plenty of stock. 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_415&item_id=107665

Canada Computers also sells a 5.5 inch Axon for actually a lower price.  I know of two colleague who are using this phone and they also purchased it at Canada Computers.  Both are very happy with the device after having used it for over a year.  The Axon is of similar vintage to the mini and runs the same software.  Arguably the full size Axon is better value because it uses a better CPU.  Anyway, sale ends on end of day Thursday.  Not much time to shop.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_415&item_id=099686

@srlawren, I know it’s off topic, bad me, but the thread was solved...so here I go lol

Berrys were my work devices, until the gave me an iPhone4s.  That was my last work device, having from start to finish two text receiving pagers prior to the Berrys, 3 different Berrys starting with the 6100, I don’t recall the other two models, other than one was T9 keyboard MIKE network device (awful in my opinion, and the next was a decent bold series device.

Personal phones... another story.  Started on a bag phone for emergency purposes only, a Nokia non flip brick style phone, a Nokia flip with a camera, then the HTC Dream, HTC Magic, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Google Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, returned to Nexus 5 as my current device.

Sad note, having flakey problems right now, and can purchase a desired replacement, so looking for a temporary usable Android phone.  

Do you, or anyone else recall if PC Mobile prepaid phones are on the Telus or Bell side or the shared network?  They Have the Axon 7 Mini at a great reasonable price that I can afford, meets my required FHD screen, is larger than my current screen, isn’t stock, but is close to stock Android, and actually has expandable storage, which I’ve never had on an Android, or any other of my phones previously!

srlawren

@stonechucker you predated me a bit.  I finally made the move to a smartphone in 2007 (I believe) with a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 (CDMA variant on Telus Mobility).  After that I had a number of them, Curve 8330, Storm 9530, Bold 9700, Torch 9810, Bold 9900, then finally left legacy BB for a BB10 Z10 the moment it finally launched.  Since then I've moved on to Android, with a 1st gen Moto X, then a OnePlus 3, and now finally OnePlus 5T.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hey @srlawren, no worries here.  Those were the days when I had at BB 6100 strapped to my belt.   Had it for almost 6 years...only replaced it because the middle two columns of keys stopped entering data!

i thought the push tech was gone now, but hey, sometimes the old stuff still exists in the strangest places!

srlawren

@coyoteblue glad you got it resolved.  But that does indicate that the issue is probably you have blocked/turned off mobile data for whatever app you were originally using (Gmail probably?  Or Inbox by Gmail?).  

One of the curses of Android is that each phone can vary for features and where settings are, etc.  I know on OnePlus devices, you can set per-app whether it can use Data, whether it can use WiFi, whether it can pull data in the background, etc.  For example:

Screenshot_20180102-141833.jpg

If I were to turn on very last switch, my Gmail would behave exactly the way you were describing and would only work when attached to Wi-Fi.  Just for example.  [EDIT: fixed my incorrect switch! Sorry for any confusion.]

@stonechucker no that concept no longer applies.  That was back in the pre-BlackBerry 10 days (Bold 9900 and older devices) where they needed a BIS/BES server for data and so on.  As of BB10, data behaves like it does in Android.  And the PRIV of course runs Android, so definitely none of that going on.  Good thought, though!

coyoteblue

I switched to Outlook.  Problem solved.  Thanks everyone for your help. 

AlexOfAnders

@Luddite This list has gmail rather than Inbox by google (which is now the stock android email client). Inbox by Google is my recommended client but I I'm using a gmail account primarily.

@Luddite wrote:

Stuck for an email app/client? http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devices/best-email-apps/23585/very-best-email-apps-android-2016

AlexOfAnders

@coyoteblue Your phone should be able to tell you if it's connected to mobile internet. Usually there will be the little icon with 4-6 bars or one that says LTE/4G/3G, failing that if you go to the APNs in your settings is should say that it's connected to sp.mb.com. At least, that's what mine is connected to but I'm on Android and it sounds like your using a Blackberry. I would turn off wifi and make sure it's connected to the internet through Data, go to a new website or do a new google search to ensure your not seeing something cached. Then try your email again.

Failing that, what program do you have your email account in or are you using it in a browser? Is it the default mail program supplied with your phone?

Stuck for an email app/client? http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devices/best-email-apps/23585/very-best-email-apps-android-2016

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@coyoteblue Can't you just use another app like Outlook?

coyoteblue

This is frustrating.  I deleted the account.  Then I turned on data, turned off wifi, and tried to re-re-create the account.  I get a message:  Your device is not connected to the network.  So I turn on wifi, retry, and connect.  Email account created.  Emails works.  Turn off wifi.  Eamils doesn't work.  Turn data back on, try to connect to internet with web browser.  Works, no problem.  Try email.  Nothing.  Can anyone help with this?  I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet without wifi unelss i was receiving data, right?  What is wrong?  Why does email only work with wifi?

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I tried to do some reading up on this and it may have to do with the power savings feature on the phone.

@coyoteblue, can you double check to ensure that the battery saver feature is turned off?

To do so:

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/BlackBerry-Priv.how_to_turn_power_sa...

Another possibility could be a settings on the e-mail client app that will also let you specifcy whether the data is restricted.

That's it from me, hope that helps!

@coyoteblue Still stuck? Have look at these: http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/BlackBerry-Priv.how_to_change_the_em...

and

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html?_escaped_fragment_=/interactive/id/interactive_1500007...

and from https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-priv-f440/priv-email-settings-help-1049827/

"When you used content transfer did you transfer any text messages from your old device to new device? If yes, any idea roughly how many it would have been? The text message content transfer is causing issues...it's basically flooding the database for people transferring a ton of messages and blocking other content coming in in some cases For the POP/SMTP accounts - I'd probably just setting your sync interval to something like 5 minutes instead of never. Unless you know for sure that your servers support IDLE connections (push) you may not get mail. POP for instance, won't support that. Definitely make sure you set a sync interval other than 'never"

Clearly some setting on your phone is the issue. Let us know how you get it going?

I'm thinking back to my blackberry days, and I believe there had to be a 'PUSH' setting enabled 'server-side'.

It's been ages since I had a BB... this may no longer be relavant... especially if it's working properly on WiFi.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@coyoteblue Check the settings on your email client app and make sure it is allowed to use on data. Seems like it is enabled on wifi only. If not, use other email app like Outlook or Gmail. 

What is your email client? Are you accessing mail with a browser?

closng

Hi @coyoteblue,

That's a weird one.

Has this always been the case or did it just start happening recently?

Have you tried soft resetting the phone (Press and hold the Power button for 32 seconds)?

Have you tried removing the e-mail accounts and re-adding them back?

coyoteblue

Yes, email does not work at all while on data alone.  Can't send or receive. 

Web browser works on data, can connect to the internet. 

Email works fine on wifi. 

Service provider is Cogeco. 

No other problems - just can't send or receive emails while on data alone.

AlexOfAnders

@coyoteblue I think what @closng was trying to get at, is it only email? Does your web browser work on Data or do Apps like YouTube still work?

It's a different problem if it's just email rather than connectivity on data. If you have no connection to the internet when you on data (no wifi) then you should message the @CS_Agent that you aren't getting the data you paid for with your plan (include your phone number, PIN, etc in your private message to them).

If it's just email, maybe let us know a little more about the email service your are using. Remember that this is a public forum so don't include any private information.

coyoteblue

Exactly.  Phone is a Blackberry Priv.  Email works fine with wifi.  But when away from wifi, and running data alone, can't pull email. 

closng

Hi @coyoteblue,

Can you give us more details? What model of phone are you using?

To clarify, data on your phone works for browsing and other apps, but it just does not pull your e-mail?

Need Help? Let's chat.