cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic SIM card

Bill409
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm planning on purchasing an iPhone 14 pro, but it uses an Electronic SIM card.  How will I activate my phone on Public Mobile?

14 REPLIES 14

This cheaply made, garbage phone?

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_5_iv-11838.php

Adding - @WoozyPolarBear 

@WoozyPolarBear   don't get it wrong, I think PM will adopt eSIM soon.  I just don't see Apple can turn this into eSIM phone only yet.  It is still couple years too early.  Not surprise one day it will all eSIM, but it take couple more years before Samsung and other major players will offer eSIM phones only 

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Lucky Mobile has eSIMs, and Chatr has announced they are going to have them too. It's up to Public Mobile if they want to match the same feature offerings as their direct competitors.

What I see is that it might not work out too well in US.  Other countries also reject  the eSIM only version , Apple has no choice but introduce the all new iPhone 14P (physical sim) next year worldwide, including US.. LoL

WoozyPolarBear

@dust2dust wrote:

You can still buy new phones with a headphone jack. Apple dropped that a while ago.

The only phones that still have headphone jacks are the very cheaply made, garbage phones sold at gas stations, 7-eleven's, etc. The types of phones that drug mules buy as burner phones.

WoozyPolarBear

The thing is, Apple is the company that sets the standards for the smartphone market. When apple goes eSIM only (it's inevitable that they will), then the other manufactures are going to follow as well, and even non-flagship phones will eventually (sooner rather than later) have no physical SIM slots. I'll stand by my statement, Public Mobile is essentially going to have no choice, but to support eSIMs at some point in the future. The EU has even banned plastic, physical SIM cards starting in 2025.

I'll then go to - does Public need to care about customers that buy flagship phones? You can still buy new phones with a headphone jack. Apple dropped that a while ago.

WoozyPolarBear

You gotta believe this will be the last iPhone in Canada with a physical SIM. Apple will most likely bring the eSIM only iPhone to Canada the following year. Public Mobile better start thinking of adding eSIM support sooner rather or later, or else they will be left holding the bag.

@ZuckMark- No they are not. But the question asked about the iphone 14 which does have physical sim in Canada. So they don't need to go anywhere (if they bought it from a Canadian vendor selling the Canadian version).

ZuckMark
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

He might be got it in the US

ZuckMark
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

embedded-SIM, are not supported by PM. You better try with Telus

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

As mentioned above, no eSIM support on Public Mobile. Here is hoping they implement eSIM sooner rather than later. 

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@Bill409 hi no esim here but all iphone 14 sold in Canada will have a physical sim also 

Need Help? Let's chat.