cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls to specific number

gooru2u
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, the last couple of days I have been on the phone with CRA.  I made several calls, all but 1 were dropped calls.  I immediately thought it was their system having issues. After the 7th attempt I decided to try using another way to make my very IMPORTANT call.  I opted to try a free VOIP service "Fongo".  Well this fixed the issue, no dropped call. Has anyone else been in this situation, dropped calls randomly or to a specific number? I did everything before resorting to the app Fongo.  Changed to 3G from LTE, reset network setting then rebooted my iPhone, changed carrier from auto to Public Mobile. Nothing worked.  Something else I have noticed, when I was on LTE, my data is super slow compared to putting phone into 3G mode. I doubt this has anything to do with voice as I know making a call switches to 3G but nonetheless seems weird. Any recommendations? It's a bit frustrating having a cell phone that can't be reliable. I recently came back to PM from Bell due to similar issues of connectivity.  I've never experienced this in the past, so not sure what to do.....maybe go backwards and get a landline....;)

Just to add to this, I was on the phone with another call just before the CRA, no dropped call.  Very weird. That call was close to 30 mins without and issue.

18 REPLIES 18

gooru2u

I actually did the field test from my house both inside and outside with basically same results. I then tested again 10 minutes later approximately 2 Kms from my home where I show full bars, my reading wasn’t much better. It was -99 dBm. So not sure what to make of the field test results. 

As far as home insulation, nothing has changed in my home since living here. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gooru2u 

My 4G LTE signal strength is commonly below -100dBm but that has no effect on my voice services because pm uses the 3G network for it's voice services. That's the reading you should be concerned with as far as your dropped call issue.

My apologies as I googled how to check on an iPhone....(?) Perhaps @CountyDownIeUk can pipe up on now to check your 3G signal strength on your iPhone as he is fluent in applespeak as you guessed correctly I am solely an Android user. However you should test both inside and outside of your home, in all 4 directions and both near and away from windows.

The one construction material often overlooked but actually can significantly interfere with cellular signal strength is insulation just in case any changes were made in that regard the last year.

gooru2u

Those instructions for iPhone don’t work for signal strength. I’m guessing you’re using android. I was able to do a field test though, and my reading was -104 dBm. I could only get it to work with LTE not 3G. Interestingly my family members have similar issues. My daughter is still with Bell. Her signal is also low but hasn’t had any dropped calls. My wife’s with PM and her reading is same as mine with hit and miss dropped calls. IDK, might have to resort to a home phone. SMH, it’s 2023 and seems cell service is declining with new technology. 36F38466-FBCB-4479-B424-255C0E9ED19A.jpeg

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gooru2u 

Check your 3G signal strength. Change your network mode to 3G only. Go to Settings>>About phone>>Network/Status>>Sim card>> Signal strength>> (-?)dBm.

-90dBm is weak, -100dBm very poor, -110dBm unusable.

If you were having similar issues with bell and did not have VoLTE calling with your service then you are probably still connecting to the same cell tower since bell and telus have a shared network. In the last year or so providers have been upgrading their equipment and selectively removing 3G network apparatus and replacing it to expand the 5G network technology. You are likely in an area that either bell or telus has decided would be least affected by loss of 3G connectivity.

Implementation of VoLTE calling for pm customers by telus is imminent but there is no definitive timeline (which would be nice?!!) But both providers know that they cannot continue to eliminate access to the core feature of mobile service plans without running afoul of the CRTC....eventually. It is a very clever backhanded way of pushing third tier customers to upgrade to their second or first tier mobile services as they hold off on giving all of their mobile subscribers VoLTE calling. While you can complain to pm a more effective complaint should be directed to the CRTC so that proper statistics could be collected as to the actual amount of mobile customers being denied a reliable core feature of their service plans.

In the meantime using a voip provider as you have with fongo is the best workaround along with call forwarding your pm phone number to fongo for your "unreachable" setting will ensure you still recieve all of your incoming pm calls while at home on wifi and when away if you travel into a 3G network dead zone it will use your mobile data (0.5mb=1min).

As far as your data speed....are you on a "3G" plan or a "4G" plan? While both connect to the 4G LTE network "3G" plans are throttled to 3mbps whereas "4G" plans can reach speeds of up to 100mbps. If you switch to using the 3G network for data speeds can reach 20+mbps depending on network traffic but average 10 to 12mbps. If you have a "3G" service plan than this is why you are finding your data speed faster on the 3G network tha the 4G LTE network. After switching from bell your data speed would take up to 48 hrs to be throttled or if you switch from "3G" to "4G" it will take up to 48 hrs to unthrottle. If it hasn't unthrottled when it should have by now then contact customer support to get it fixed.

@gooru2u wrote:

Nope this isn't it. My area is well within the 3G/LTE zone.  I"ve owned a cell since the 90s and never had issues with cell service in this area, unless it's my house has a dead zone.

I don't beleive this to be an issue specific to Public Mobile using only 3g for voice calls instead of LTE.  I say this because while there can be a difference is phone calls service quality between the networks, that wouldn't affect your service only calling to one specific phone number.

gooru2u

I have a iPhone 12 so I believe that's 2020 model.  Isn't that service impact not until summer of this year?

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@gooru2u 

What iPhone do you have? There's a post wrote Telus service will impact cell phones that made before 2017. 

@gooru2u 

I'm in your neck of the woods and never have a problem with my Public or Bell lines.  Or dropped calls either.

You might want to try your sim card in another mobile phone and see if the problem still happens.  

gooru2u

Could be.  Bell always gave me the run around... Finally one of the CSRs admitted that my area with Bell is riding on Telus and Rogers cell towers and likely it's a priority thing like you stated.....makes me shake my head!!! In this case if you're right, then I guess the lower cost plans might not be ideal in smaller towns/cities.

@gooru2u @I’d like to think Telus have better reception I don’t know , at the end of the day pm is a 3rd tier service .. makes me wonder if call volumes on the towers get prioritized 

gooru2u

No metal roof. Like I said I have lived here for almost 10 years and never had issues before with PM.  This just started with cell issues in the past year or so. It was much worse with Bell, hence the reason I'm back here. LOL.

gooru2u

The calls dropped sporadically. All dropped calls were within 30 mins, some while talking to the agent on the call and others dropped while on hold.

@gooru2u @Does  your house have a metal roof ? Environmental situations could be the case 

gooru2u

No, I'm in southern Ontario.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@gooru2u 

was the call dropped after you talked or on hold LONG??

unfortunately, there is a 2 hours, 120 mins, limit for voice call.  Call will be dropped after it hits 2 hours

BTW,  Fongo also has a limit, but 4 hours, 240 minutes

gooru2u

Nope this isn't it. My area is well within the 3G/LTE zone.  I"ve owned a cell since the 90s and never had issues with cell service in this area, unless it's my house has a dead zone.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@gooru2u 

Do you happen to be near Brandon, Manitoba?

There seems to be problems connecting to the network near there.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.